Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Atlantis Season 2 (Region 1 DVD)- March 6, 2007 (Confirmed date)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beckmen View Post
    Nobody wants to do frame-by-frame on that shot in Instinct and see if the artifacts show up? Taking my DVD back is kind of pointless, WM is only going to have more copies from the same pressing...

I can live with this if I know everybody's set is this way. It also seems to taper off in the other discs, a bit. Still there, but not as obvious. Maybe I am also being too discerning.
    Whats the time stamp on those shots? I can get some caps later today.

Comment

Somewhere around 39 or 40 minutes into Instinct. Not sure where the Runner one is anymore, but it doesn't really matter. That one shot from Instinct is a good one to check.
      Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
      http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

There is definately a little bit of something there, but to be honest I barely notice it on my 52 inch hd setup and I am usually the guy who complains about things no one else can see:

pic1
        pic2

Comment

Oh, yeah it's there on pic 2. OK, I didn't get a bum set. I can deal. I am sure I will be upgrading to the HD-DVD or BD eventually, anyway.

You might not notice it if your sharpness isn't up very high. I am one of those guys who completely ignore calibration advice and just does it to my own liking, so I got my sharpness up as far as it will go. It makes things look sharper, but also enhances flaws. Stuff like noise and grain are pretty apparent and stuff on my display.
          Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!

Comment

Originally posted by Beckmen View Post
            Oh, yeah it's there on pic 2. OK, I didn't get a bum set. I can deal. I am sure I will be upgrading to the HD-DVD or BD eventually, anyway.

You might not notice it if your sharpness isn't up very high. I am one of those guys who completely ignore calibration advice and just does it to my own liking, so I got my sharpness up as far as it will go. It makes things look sharper, but also enhances flaws. Stuff like noise and grain are pretty apparent and stuff on my display.
            That could be it, my sharpness is way down. I think I might not have noticed it the first time through as well, because I was doing other things while watching.

There is a report of some issues on disc 5 in the Atlantis Season 2 thread also, hopefully that is isolated, but who knows. Youd think they would have learned there lesson with the wrong disc 5 content on the last set.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
              Youd think they would have learned there lesson with the wrong disc 5 content on the last set.
              What? What was it? I've watched season 1 and didn't notice anything wrong.
              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                What? What was it? I've watched season 1 and didn't notice anything wrong.
                Some of the sets had disc 1 content on the 5th disc, even though it was printed with disc 5 art. I think this was limited to Canadian pressings, but I am not sure.

Comment

woohoo!! a package from Amazon was waiting for me today when I got home and it was my S2 DVD set... yay!!! so...what are the problems people are having....so i can look out for them
                  sigpic

Comment

I got through all the content of the set on the same day that I watched Unending. Wow. How depressing.

Comment

I was watching the trailer for atlantis season 2 box set and it said it had never before seen footage what was up with that? what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                        Some of the sets had disc 1 content on the 5th disc, even though it was printed with disc 5 art. I think this was limited to Canadian pressings, but I am not sure.
                        Oh okay. Then I have a fixed batch. My sister bought season 1 SGA for me at Christmas. Disc 5 has the episodes it's suppose to have.
                        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                          I was watching the trailer for atlantis season 2 box set and it said it had never before seen footage what was up with that? what is it?
                          I asked the same thing earlier, and never got an answer. Anybody know? I've watched all the episodes and special features and can't figure out what these scenes might be.

Comment

Originally posted by mcpickles View Post
                            I asked the same thing earlier, and never got an answer. Anybody know? I've watched all the episodes and special features and can't figure out what these scenes might be.
                            The special features is what they are talking about.

Comment

SGA - Movie Web: Review of Season 2 DVDs:

From Movie Web:

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/release/...review2651.php

Stargate Atlantis: Season 2
                              DVD

- Recommendation - BUY IT:

Written By Evan "Mushy" Jacobs

THE GOOD

Each show plays like mini movie packing in as much action and story
                              as possible.

THE BAD

Navigating around all the extras was a little tricky.

THE FLICK

Stargate Atlantis: Season 2 opens with our faithful crew having
                              gotten past a huge Wraith attack. The crew now goes about trying to
                              find out more about their history, as well as finding people that can
                              aid them in their cause. Compromise seems to be all around because
                              Atlantis needs energy yet they also know that they need to find the
                              member of the crew that has gone off on their own. Mixed in with all
                              of this are well put together battle scenes, strongly written
                              characterizations and the feeling that the subject matter is very
                              much speaking to today's world.

Some of the stand out episodes in this collection are "Aurora," which
                              sees the crew of Atlantis discovering a very old crew inside an older
                              ship and are then brought face to face with their worst
                              nightmare. "Trinity" was an episode that seemed to speak to today's
                              oil problems when a new form of energy is found to power Atlantis.
                              However, nothing is ever this simple for our faithful crew and this
                              is never more apparent here. Lastly, "Allies" really struck me
                              because we got to see a different side of the Wraith as they ask to
                              join forces with Atlantis. The main questions are what are their
                              motives and is something like this even possible?

All in all, Stargate Atlantis: Season 2 is one DVD set that offers a
                              lot of bang for your proverbial dollar.

THE FEATURES

Commentary Track

The gracious folks behind this DVD set have kindly donated their
                              voices to commenting on every episode in this collection. I decided
                              to make things easy on myself and just listen to the first commentary
                              for the first episode titled, "The Siege - Part III." The creators
                              talk here about wanting to create "3 times" the excitement for the
                              Second Season. Also, they say that this episode would have had a
                              better title but they sadly couldn't think of anything better. After
                              this they discuss keeping the plot points organized over this three
                              part show, the various camera moves that were employed, and how they
                              tried to put across the arcs of their characters. The only problem
                              that I had with this track was that the audio needed to be turned
                              over half way up for me to hear things.

Photo and Production Design Galleries

Featurettes

This release is swimming in featurettes. Here is a general listing of
                              what they are on this release:

- Mission Directives: The Intruder and The Siege - Part III
                              - Road to Dream
                              - Profile on Paul McGillon

I watched the Mission Directive for The Siege - Part III and the Road
                              to Dream featurette. The Mission Directive was helpful because I
                              never had watched this show before I was given this DVD set to
                              review. It essentially walks us through this show, going beat by beat
                              as it takes us through the various pay offs. Then we get to see
                              some "behind the scenes" aspects of the production, informing us of
                              who the characters are and breaking down, essentially, what is going
                              on in the show. The Road to Dream featurette shows us how Stargate
                              Atlantis basically came into existence.

The Look

Widescreen - 1.78:1. Fox, as usual, has done an amazing job bringing
                              these shows to DVD. The look really sharp and clear and even better
                              than that, the visual effects look top notch. I never felt like I was
                              watching a show that was taking any shortcuts in a production value
                              sense. Add to this that each episode feels like a mini- war movie and
                              you have a set that seems to build upon itself, upping the ante as
                              the arc of the entire Second Season plays itself out.

The Sound

Dolby Digital. English - 5.1 Dolby Surround. French - Dolby Surround.
                              Close Captioned. Subtitled in English and Spanish. Like the picture,
                              the audio is of very high quality. Aside from the minor audio problem
                              that I mentioned with the commentary track, everything played really
                              well. The only real question I had as I was watching this show
                              is, "Why do actors when they work in military movies and on
                              spaceships, feel the need to talk in the lowest possible voices?" It
                              seems to me like it's in an actors playbook that they would do this,
                              but ultimately I find it annoying and distracting.

The Packaging

This aqua, gray, slipcase cover features the main cast with various
                              sci-fi accouterments surrounding them. The back maintains this motif
                              as it offers up a description of this show, a Special Features
                              listing and also points out where the various episodes are in regards
                              to each disc. Underneath this are system specs for your DVD player.
                              The five discs that contain the 20 episodes are each laid out with
                              individual artwork. They showcase different characters and important
                              scenes from each show. Those back covers offer up episode listings
                              and descriptions, as well as what Special Features are available on
                              each disc.

FINAL WORD

I normally am not a huge fan of these sorts of shows mainly because I
                              find them hard to follow. I will admit it, there is something about
                              TV shows set on my own planet that make it very easy for me to grasp.
                              Give me something like Hawaii Five-O or Boston Legal and I am all
                              over it. There is something about seeing the day to day jobs, set in
                              a world I know, that really grabs me. Now, Stargate Atlantis might
                              touch on issues that are relevant to my world (good television
                              usually does this and it's especially well done by shows that don't
                              take place in this world), but often times I find that the characters
                              and situations are too "out there" for my tastes. Overall, I liked
                              Stargate Atlantis but there was also something about it that made me
                              pull back from fully embracing it here.

Sci-Fi fans will be ecstatic to own Stargate Atlantis: Season 2 on
                              DVD. It is packed with bonus features and it has stellar production
                              values for a sci-fi television show.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I didn't want to start a new thread so I am putting this info in this one.
                                Circuit City has SGA Seasons 1 & 2 DVD sets on sale for $19.99 from Oct. 7 to 13 according to the weekly ad flyer I got today. If anyone was waiting for a good deal on these DVDs, it looks like this maybe the best opportunity.
                                Spoiler:
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X