Clear All

Preservation (305)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Three
    "Preservation"

"Preservation"
    Ep: 3.05
    Release Date: November 30th, 2006
    Written by Alex Rubit

With several months having passed since their last attempt, the Tok'ra have finally set their eyes on a brand new base of operations. Lenori's involvement in a Tok'ra project forces him to overcome a recent loss.
    Outstanding
    16.67%
    Good
    44.44%
    Fair
    38.89%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    0.00%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

The episode has now been released, and is up on the site!

http://www.stargatehorizon.com/syn.php?number=305
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 30 November 2006, 05:11 PM.

Comment

OMIGOD! Continuity error. As of Destiny episode 1.18, "Unsung Heroes," it should have been 2014. Destiny season 1 ran concurrently with Horizon season 2.5, though. "Unsung Heroes" aired within two days of "Rogues," which would imply some sort of time congruity between the two. So, something's off.

(Still reading.)

Okay, finished reading. Overall, okay episode. The last act felt sort of lackluster, there wasn't really a climax. It was okay, but not fantastic. I totally called the 'cloing queen' plot, and Aaron was absolutely right on the gate-fixing thing. I liked the first act/second act, it felt a lot like Horizon season 2 again (which I think has been its best so far). So, that made me happy. Beyond that, though, it felt a little lackluster. I found David and Julia's scenes together to be rather boring, almost over-the-top mushy, and some of the things that were said in description were a bit too specific and should have been revealed in dialogue. I really don't see their chemistry, though. Not as good as it was back in "Amazing Grace."

**1/2
      Last edited by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia; 30 November 2006, 09:27 AM. Reason: Finished the episode.

Comment

well interesting episode.

Is their anyone not interested in the this book.

Well this booking better tell us lot. Because so far you got the Asgard who to me seemed to no more than they were letting on.

The enoly.

The vorians , and their enemies.
        I am interested to find out what this book actually contain.

I thought the title of the episode was good. Preservation seemed be the theme of the day.

Any one else have the feeling this book may be key to the survival of the Asgard and their .

I thought Julia and David theme was good and this will lead to the preservation of their relationship.

I like the Asgard in the episode , but would of liked more dialogue between the Collen and hermiod. And may be some mention why hemriod finally got of the Daedalus.

But one thing I was not to sure about was the tok'ra new home world and it being in near the enoly space, it seemed way to much a risk to me. I would rather it was just a out post of their or something, not new home world.

And the whole cloning of a new queen was to obvious and would of prefer if it was something a bit more original and not so obvious.

Now a other thing which nagging me was the Asgard, what have they been up to I mean you made it out they have ignoring earth attempts to contact them, and then suddenly turning up out the blue, and then being to late to join the battle. I just hope down line you perhaps give the Asgard their own episode, to explain some of this.

Well that enough waffling on. This was good story overall, a tiny bit slow in some place but good.

sorry about any spelling mistakes.

Comment

I have to agree that the Tok'ra cloning a new queen was a bit obvious and that the end wasn't really much of a climax, but that's not what the episode was about. It was about having a character focused episode and bridge the opening 4 parter with the rest of the season. Alex mentions that in the podcast.

Speaking of podcast, it should be up in a quarter of an hour.

Comment

Really, the Tok'ra Queen plot wasn't intended to be too much of a surprise, mostly because we were going to reveal it earlier on. Because we never really got the chance to, there was a season of anticipation built, so it might seem somewhat anti-climactic. Ah well, still good to see the Tok'ra are trying to stay alive.

"Preservation" fit the episode. While the Tok'ra try to preserve their race, Lenori and Kayla attempt to preserve some sort of relationship.

Well, now that the gap has been bridged between the opening and the rest of the season, let the meat of season three (at last) get underway!
            Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
            Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
            Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
            Stargate Destiny, Fan
            Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

I love this epi and I love the David and Julia thing. The Tok'ra arc is like (I forgot the epidsode from SG1) but all is good.
              sigpic
              The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
                OMIGOD! Continuity error. As of Destiny episode 1.18, "Unsung Heroes," it should have been 2014. Destiny season 1 ran concurrently with Horizon season 2.5, though. "Unsung Heroes" aired within two days of "Rogues," which would imply some sort of time congruity between the two. So, something's off.
                I really wouldn't call that a continuity error. First, no one ever said that Horizon and Destiny run exactly concurrently. Second, Season Two of Horizon took place between 2012 (see "A Time To Survive") and 2013. So it won't be 2014 until the second half of Season Three.

And as I was writing this, I realized it just had to be July 8th. Any other date just wouldn't have worked for me.

Okay, finished reading. Overall, okay episode. The last act felt sort of lackluster, there wasn't really a climax.
                You'll be surprised, but I agree with that actually. If you'd like to hear more details on that, you should check out the podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  well interesting episode.

Is their anyone not interested in the this book.

Well this booking better tell us lot. Because so far you got the Asgard who to me seemed to no more than they were letting on.

The enoly.

The vorians , and their enemies.
                  I am interested to find out what this book actually contain.
                  It's true, it must contain some really important information. Or perhaps just a really good story that everyone's eager to get their hands on. Who knows? I personally tend to think it's the latter.

I like the Asgard in the episode , but would of liked more dialogue between the Collen and hermiod. And may be some mention why hemriod finally got of the Daedalus.
                  We'd prefer to stay away from those kinds of details for continuity reasons. For the longest time we actually considered whether or not to even have Hermiod be the Asgard to appear in this episode.

But one thing I was not to sure about was the tok'ra new home world and it being in near the enoly space, it seemed way to much a risk to me. I would rather it was just a out post of their or something, not new home world.
                  It's not their new home world, just a base of operations. Some Tok'ra are still back on Horizon, just not as many as there used to.

And the whole cloning of a new queen was to obvious and would of prefer if it was something a bit more original and not so obvious.
                  I wouldn't call it "un-original" since it's never been done before. And as Mike said, this was never intended to be a surprise. We're saving some really huge surprises for later this season.

I just hope down line you perhaps give the Asgard their own episode, to explain some of this.
                  Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Elitenova View Post
                    The Tok'ra arc is like (I forgot the epidsode from SG1) but all is good.
                    "Allegiance"

Comment

That's exactly why I don't think any series should share the same continuity. It means Alex has restrictions that he doesn't want and visa versa.

Overall, it was a good character episode. Didn't quite stand up to Mike's episode from S2, I forget the name. In Times of Despair(?) I think. I liked the Lenori and Kayla stuff - anyone else visualising Jewel Staite - for her? I think that considering all the build up and etc that went into the whole research thing, the reveal was like "meh".

You guys sure love having a race's people split in two, don't you. Earth, Vorian and now the Tok'ra. Can we meet a happy race, please? Lol.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                        You guys sure love having a race's people split in two, don't you. Earth, Vorian and now the Tok'ra. Can we meet a happy race, please? Lol.
                        I suppose that's true. But, well, Lo'kal was the only one we really saw against the council, I don't knw to much about a cohesive group. In a society, there's bound to be at least a few people to disagree with the actions of their leaders (I think modern day America is a great example of that).

Same with Earth, it's not so much split as there are a few groups who see things differently. As for Vorians, well, they've been screwing themselves up beyond all comprehension.
                        Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

Actually, it's not just Earth, Vorian, and Tok'ra. You forgot Enoly, Aschen, and I think Draque as well, I'm not actually sure. Can't remember.

Comment

Ah, I suppose that's true, isn't it?
                            Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

This was a nice character episode to follow the four episode arc. I really liked the interactions between Zach and Julia, and the compromise for David to Gate to work from earth was a nice touch.

Yes, the reveal for the secret project could have been stronger, but the idea for the project is actually quite good.

IMHO there isn't really much of a problem with continuity between Horizon and Destiny, mostly because they occur in two completely separate galaxies and there is no communication between the Destiny and Earth (except subspace transmissions with mission reports etc I guess, but they take 2 weeks one way).

No one ever said that that an episode must encompass the space of one week of series time anyway, so long as you don't have one series skipping forward a few years (and staying there) or someone destroying the earth without telling the other VS in that universe then there isn't really a problem.

Most of the new VS that have been pitched lately involve being a long way from home, and so will probably not have many episodes located on earth anyway.

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
                              Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comment

Working...
                              X