Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiro Nakamura/Masi Oka Appreciation/Discussion

yatta !

*hee* i saw a hayden thread so i figured i'd make a hiro thread.

so many people seem to be taken in by him. well he is such an awesome character. and on top of that, masayori oka seems to be a genius himself

hiro is such a lovable character XD

Masi Oka was interviewed by TV Guide's Mike Auseillo while in New York City last Tuesday. It's a good one, about 10+ mins long. See the video from here.

Some tidbits:
    - Why hasn't Hiro popped back up at the present time? "If he could, he would"
    - Is there a future between Hiro and Charlie? "Well, there's a past..."
    - Talks about the DC (one timeline) and Marvel (alternate timelines) time-space continuum debate
    - Hiro meets his dad (played by the amazing George Takei), supposedly premiering in Ep 13? They've already shot one scene. Masi is petrified by Takei's stare, and hopes for a throw back comment to Star Trek along the lines of "Sulu's my father, not you!"
    - Masi's been reading another episode script back at his hotel room
    - Masi evidently gave Mike some advice about acting (1-2 lines) in Scrubs. He (Masi) may be going back to Scrubs if time permits, and wouldn't mind giving a wink to Heroes by tatooing his neck with a helix
    - Masi remains grounded, drives a 2000 Honda Accord and might get a hybrid car if Heroes goes to season 3-4
    - Masi still consults for a day or two with Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) as an archivist to decipher some of the codes he's written. He codes the programs that create the special effects. He'd love to one day direct a Heroes episode, use his ILM discount card and maybe even do his own effects
    - Has tremendous respect for Tim Kring, Heroes' creator, wishes there'd be a movie about "Being Tim Kring"

All of Masi (and Milo)'s interviews last week in NYC can be found in an earlier General Discussion post here.
    Lost In Space - wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be (aka my geek blog)

Thanks to ileliberte for permission to share her amazing art

Comment

wow. cool thanks for the link to the interview XD

im just starting to delve more and more into the heroes universe here.

Comment

He's my favorite character so far.

Comment

I think whats makes his character so likable is that you can find that kind of persona in all of us.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the interview link- it's a great one! Masi and Hiro, are awsome!

Comment

Originally posted by travis View Post
              I think whats makes his character so likable is that you can find that kind of persona in all of us.
              yeah thats true. hee we're all geeks for being on this forum so i guess we can associate with him on that i think that and he's the most cheerful one and hopeful one and most gung-ho about his powers.

everyone else seems kinda emo-ish but then again, the show does lean towards that way.

Comment

There's an interview of Masi Oka in the Nov 30 edition of the Buffalo News. Full article linked here at http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/1071911.asp

A little teaser cut below:
                Spoiler:
                Q: Why do you think people love Hiro so much?

A: I'm not sure, exactly. I know why I like him. He's basically a wide-eyed kid full of wonder. He's the kind of person so many of us want to be, but we lose much of that wonder as we grow up and grapple with societal pressures. Also, television is so full of dark, stern characters these days. I think the medium needs some more lightness and optimism.

Q: You mentioned the "lightness" of Hiro. But you've also had to play the future version of the character, who seems more dark and serious. Is that a tough transition?

A: Any time you can play two diverse characters in one show, it's a great acting challenge. And playing Future Hiro is cool. You've got the robes, the sword and the soul patch which, in real life, would have taken me a whole year to grow. You feel like a total bad ass and a chick magnet.

Q: And that's a beautiful thing, right?

A: Absolutely. The first time I put on that costume, I was going around to all the women on the (film) crew and saying, (with deepened voice), "Hey baby, what's up?" They'd all say, "Oh Hiro, you're so studly and cool!" And I'd say, "Yeah, I know."

Comment

Originally posted by lostinspace View Post
                  There's an interview of Masi Oka in the Nov 30 edition of the Buffalo News. Full article linked here at http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/1071911.asp

A little teaser cut below:
                  Spoiler:
                  Q: Why do you think people love Hiro so much?

A: I'm not sure, exactly. I know why I like him. He's basically a wide-eyed kid full of wonder. He's the kind of person so many of us want to be, but we lose much of that wonder as we grow up and grapple with societal pressures. Also, television is so full of dark, stern characters these days. I think the medium needs some more lightness and optimism.

Q: You mentioned the "lightness" of Hiro. But you've also had to play the future version of the character, who seems more dark and serious. Is that a tough transition?

A: Any time you can play two diverse characters in one show, it's a great acting challenge. And playing Future Hiro is cool. You've got the robes, the sword and the soul patch which, in real life, would have taken me a whole year to grow. You feel like a total bad ass and a chick magnet.

Q: And that's a beautiful thing, right?

A: Absolutely. The first time I put on that costume, I was going around to all the women on the (film) crew and saying, (with deepened voice), "Hey baby, what's up?" They'd all say, "Oh Hiro, you're so studly and cool!" And I'd say, "Yeah, I know."
                  Thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by eri-chan View Post
                    yeah thats true. hee we're all geeks for being on this forum so i guess we can associate with him on that i think that and he's the most cheerful one and hopeful one and most gung-ho about his powers.

everyone else seems kinda emo-ish but then again, the show does lean towards that way.
                    LOL I would'nt discribe it as geeks, more so intelligent people with a highly active imagination.

I agree with you in that he's the only one that's taking power serious and that he's also very noble and humble about it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eri-chan View Post
                      Speaking of geeks, Hiro features twice in Entertainment Weekly's Holiday Gifts 2006 feature. See Geeking Out: Masi Oka Shops For Hiro and What To Get Your Hiro Nakamura. Best gift: The first-season DVD of Heroes, so I can find out how the season ends. Technically, it would be a gift from Future Hiro. (me: I'd want one too!)

Comment

I like the play on Hiro's name too, "super Hiro!" It reminds me of the main character in Neal Stephenson's cyberpunk/SF book "Snow Crash" - his name was Hiro Protagonist (double snort) and he ran around cyberspace with a samuri sword to boot.

Comment

yay! Hiro is by far the best character in heroes. He is just so cute and funny. Also his power kicks ass

Comment

Hiro is the best!! And what an amazing actor Masi is!

Comment

LOL I would'nt discribe it as geeks, more so intelligent people with a highly active imagination.
                              LOL a very imaginative way of putting it

I agree with you in that he's the only one that's taking power serious and that he's also very noble and humble about it.
                              hmm now that i think about it, peter seems quite gung-ho on his powers too but he seems to be going that way so he can prove something where as hiro is just excited by them.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                              I like the play on Hiro's name too, "super Hiro!"
                              LOL i kinda like that too. when i think of "nakamura" i wonder if thats some kinda play on words too. maybe not but i'll go out on a limb and say it kinda indicates him being in the middle. if only i could read the kanji to his name. but i cant so ill assume his name is made up of "naka" = middle, centre and "mura" = village
                              hehe and on this note i cant help but feel sorry for "ando". its kinda how a japanese person would say "and"

Comment

Working...
                              X