Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Second Lieutenant Thermonuclearboy's Avatar

Default Re: Six Months Ago (110)

Interesting theory, but I doubt the explanation is that complex. I think that Niki genuinely has a split personality. I think that Jessica was always the strong sister, protecting her as much as she could, and when Jessica died, and Niki no longer had a protecting, she created a second personality to protect herself - Jessica would always protect her, so in her mind Niki wasn't strong enough to defend herself. Over the years "Jessica" dwelled in her subconscious and festered, becoming something quite different than Niki's sister actually was. Also, note that "Jessica" only made herself known to Niki when it was no longer possible to stay hidden. For the bulk of her existence, "Jessica" seemed to want to let "Niki" live a normal life, only emerging when there was no other choice.

I think that the fact that the tattoo only appears when Jessica is in control is related to this. Jessica doesn't want Niki to know she's there, and if she has superhuman strength, who's to say she can't take a mark on the skin with her when she goes back into hiding? Plus which, if we are to infer that Bennet gave her that tattoo at some point, then he gave it to her when Jessica was emergent...which means the Haitian or Eden must be pretty powerful to be able to subude her long enough to run some tests, mark her, then wipe her memory...
    Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
    What have these years left to me?
    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
    Interesting theory, but I doubt the explanation is that complex. I think that Niki genuinely has a split personality. I think that Jessica was always the strong sister, protecting her as much as she could, and when Jessica died, and Niki no longer had a protecting, she created a second personality to protect herself - Jessica would always protect her, so in her mind Niki wasn't strong enough to defend herself. Over the years "Jessica" dwelled in her subconscious and festered, becoming something quite different than Niki's sister actually was. Also, note that "Jessica" only made herself known to Niki when it was no longer possible to stay hidden. For the bulk of her existence, "Jessica" seemed to want to let "Niki" live a normal life, only emerging when there was no other choice.

I think that the fact that the tattoo only appears when Jessica is in control is related to this. Jessica doesn't want Niki to know she's there, and if she has superhuman strength, who's to say she can't take a mark on the skin with her when she goes back into hiding? Plus which, if we are to infer that Bennet gave her that tattoo at some point, then he gave it to her when Jessica was emergent...which means the Haitian or Eden must be pretty powerful to be able to subude her long enough to run some tests, mark her, then wipe her memory...
    But Niki's normal life is threatened because she can't remember her father hitting her, just being away from her. As you said, if Jessica can take the tatoo with her, she probably could take the bruises as well. If HRG did take her, her powers wouldn't have been as strong as they are now and the Haitian and Eden wouldn't have to struggle that much to get her. Also, Sylar is pretty powerful and Haitian and Eden subdued him in like 2 minutes.
    Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanderic View Post
    Also, Sylar is pretty powerful and Haitian and Eden subdued him in like 2 minutes.
    after he fell a few feet from the top of a building with no regen power.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eri-chan View Post
    after he fell a few feet from the top of a building with no regen power.
    True. I think "few" is more like "twenty" feet. It's at least 2 stories high.
    Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

hehe not good with feet since we use meters in australia

Captain

hehe not good with feet since we use meters in australia
    In Canada, apparently we're supposed to use meters yet we use feet every so often and in math/physics calculations as well. What an effed up system, eh?

lol i blame it on you guys being so close to the usa

Captain

lol i blame it on you guys being so close to the usa
    GOD DAMN IT USA! EFFING BUSH! I HATE YOU!!!!! *pause* wait.... did I just say that? *wimpers behind Canadian flag & embassy* I love you, USA! I'm not a terrorist. Go Away.

lol you poor poor canadians... meanwhile we're in australia like wtf mate? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Xanderic View Post
    GOD DAMN IT USA! EFFING BUSH! I HATE YOU!!!!! *pause* wait.... did I just say that? *wimpers behind Canadian flag & embassy* I love you, USA! I'm not a terrorist. Go Away.
    Don't worry, most Americans hate Bush too now.
    Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
    Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
    -Audioslave

I'm not convinced that Jessica is just a split personality, Niki's way of coping with her sister's death and/or her father's abuse. Even if we could explain away the tattoo switcharoo and the super strength.

The reason is plain and simple: that would make her someone who suffers from a psychological disorder, and a not uncommon one at that, and not a supernatural hero.

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Right. Exactly. I wish we knew what Jessi looked like because I'm guessing she didn't look like Niki, hence DL's comment about "it sure looked like your mom" or whatever he said.

I'm still leaning towards the idea of Jessi being able to jump bodies and jumping into Niki before she died... only to discover that Niki had a power, too: superstrength. Maybe I'm just being too limited in my imagination, though, 'cos that's the only explanation I've been able to come up with so far. Maybe I should start a thread for that and see what ideas others have.

Major

TV Re: Six Months Ago (110)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    Maybe I should start a thread for that and see what ideas others have.
    Do. I was going to do that a week or so ago, but then -- ironically -- I got bummed out because there wasn't one already.

I like this ep alot. But there 1 question that I have. How doese Sylar Have Teleconicis powers. Is it that he killed the guy and once he kills them he gets there power?

Second Lieutenant

Right. Exactly. I wish we knew what Jessi looked like because I'm guessing she didn't look like Niki, hence DL's comment about "it sure looked like your mom" or whatever he said.
    DL probably wouldn't know what she looked like since it seems that he didn't know Niki's father. She probably died long before he met Niki. What I wish is that someone would dig up her grave, for doing so would confirm or deny suspicions that Niki's alter-ego is the original Jessica.

I'm still supporting the extra-dimensional teleportation idea. It is quite probable that Niki developed the ability to to hide in another dimension in response to her father's abuse, while Jessica developed super strength in order to protect her sister. When Jessica was about to die Niki hid her. Without the abusive father around, Niki had no reason to access her powers and Jessica remained trapped in Niki's hiding place. With the stresses in her life related to her father's release from prison and her family's money troubles, Niki had a reason to hide again, and when she hid she let Jessica out. Now, the two are tethered together like Rick Jones and Captain Mar-Vell. When one is on Earth the other is trapped in the other place.

Quote Originally Posted by hyzmarca View Post
    She probably died long before he met Niki.
    Oh yeah. *slaps forehead* I keep forgetting she died years ago. For some reason I keep getting hung up on the idea it's been within the past year or so.

I'm not sure about Niki "hiding" her sister, though. Remember? She has no memory of the things her father did. Maybe Jessi jumped into Niki and watched their father beating her.

I'm not sure about Niki "hiding" her sister, though. Remember? She has no memory of the things her father did. Maybe Jessi jumped into Niki and watched their father beating her.
    Huh? Well, I understand what you're saying but...

Well... I assumed that that's what she meant...
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...grapes/Hee.gif
    To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Captain

Just know that Niki sans Jessica won't last long in jail. Jessica will come out and pull open the bars and walk out of prison.

I really can't see him cutting open his own head- especially since he doesn't have the super-heal abilities of Claire... yet.
    He does have a kind of healing factor, he got up after the fall in homecoming, which Peter needed Claire's power to survive (Though he wasnt completely healed, so its obviously different from Claire's) and he also got shot three times by Matt after he tried to take the little girl Molly, and he got back up and either flew or jumped really high and got away.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
    Plus which, if we are to infer that Bennet gave her that tattoo at some point
    that's not the mark Mr Bennet leaves on people, he leaves two parallel lines on their necks (Matt Parkman and Ted Sprague have them) the RNA symbol is entirely different, though it is worn on a neclace by the Haitian.