This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace Corps discussion

So has anyone here been in the Peace Corps? I had always wanted to go, but then got diagnosed with diabetes so that eneded that, but I was just wondering if anyone wanted to talk about their experiences in the Peace Corps.

peace corps ide prefer The United States Marine corps

Comment

Originally posted by Davesg-43 View Post
      peace corps ide prefer The United States Marine corps
      Oooooooook, any particular reason why you would prefer the USMC ove the PC that is relevant to the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983 View Post
        Oooooooook, any particular reason why you would prefer the USMC ove the PC that is relevant to the thread?
        well in the USMC it has more traditons and disaplin than the PC and they protect many things like embassies and arlington national cemetary and the PC dsosen't have any benifit plans

Comment

well in the USMC it has more traditons and disaplin than the PC and they protect many things like embassies and arlington national cemetary and the PC dsosen't have any benifit plans
          The Peace Corps isn't about any of that or benefit plans. It is about helping people. It is about going to the third world and helping improve quality of life.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983 View Post
            The Peace Corps isn't about any of that or benefit plans. It is about helping people. It is about going to the third world and helping improve quality of life.
            well its nice and all they are helping but when they leave the third wourld country the warlords and dictactors destroy what they were tring to help

Comment

well its nice and all they are helping but when they leave the third wourld country the warlords and dictactors destroy what they were tring to help
              Actually, no. It has been studied time nd again. Areas that have had peace corp presence in the past have been shown to be more stable, have higher levels of health and education, and the trend of improving continues. There are incedencies of the work of the volunteers being destroyed in really unstable regions, but they are rare.

Comment

So to take this back to the original question: Is there anyone around here that has served in the peace corp that would like to share their experience?

Comment

I am going to join the Peace Corps later in life but first I must finish college and then serve in the Americorps. One of my friends served in the Peace Corps in South Africa.

Comment

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Costa Rica. It was one of the best times of my life. Even if you have health problems you should check it out. You might still be eligible.

Comment

Hi SPG 1983
                      Habari gani! I was in the Peace Corps in Kenya. The experience was too big to talk about here, but it was both wonderful and scary and fun and awful. Having served in the Peace Corps has also given me the gift of wonderful, caring adventurous friends who love to travel and eat at ethnic restaurants and volunteer their time helping their community. Of course, they bring you along on all of it.

SPG, is there any chance you can conquer the Diabetes and try again? What made you want to serve?
                      Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Dave,
                        Serving in the Peace Corps isn't anti-armed services. I actually trained and served with two gentleman who served in the military, one an ex-Marine. It's a myth to think we are all tree huggers.

My group taught high school science and math. We were not supposed to get involved with politics.
                        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Working...
                        X