This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Douglas Adams Inspirations?

I don't know if anyone here has read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker' Guide to the Galaxy books but if there are any who have then what do you think of this...

Do you think the Ori are a bit like the people of Krikkit from "Life, the Universe and Everything"? Read the points of comparison below.

1) The Ori's human followers thought they were the only humans in the universe. The people of the planet Krikkit thought they were the only people in the entire universe.

2) They both live idyllic lives in small villages on their respective worlds.

3) They both find out that they're not alone and are influenced by a higher power to travel out of their galaxy/planet to...

4) Destroy or in the Ori's case destroy/convert everyone.

This also raises some other interesting points, the time dilation the replicators were put in for example. The planet of Krikkit was put in a similar device, where 1 of their years would equate to several billion actual years. If there is anyone who notices these things, tell me what you think.
    Teal'c: Shoots wall
    Mitchell: Whoa, whoa man! Bullets..bounce!

Made me laugh so much.

i thought it was just me.
    sigpic

Comment

Only thing is its a bit more fun i guess is the word in the hitchikers guide
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mayogaelz View Post
        i thought it was just me.
        Really? That's quite surprising, I thought I was the only one. Read my idea for a mini-series at the end of S10, it's on the sticky thread for rumours and speculation, can't remember which page... If you find it, it may remind you of something...

Made me laugh so much.

Comment

Sorry, I don't see it. The "primitives who worship all-power "Gods" and who must make religious war on others" plot has done many many times in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Sorry, I don't see it. The "primitives who worship all-power "Gods" and who must make religious war on others" plot has done many many times in the past.

but its going on today in the world at large

primitives= g dubya

gods= self explanitory

others= obvious

thats the way it goes

itll always be a universal theme
            sigpic

Comment

I never noticed it, but thinking about it, did anyone think that when the dakara superweapon opened it looked a little like a ball inside, like the supernova cricketball thing?
              When all technology has failed and all hope is lost, we will realize we had the ultimate advantage all along...

MAY BANJOS RULE THE WORLD!!!
              The reason my chemistry teacher hates me:
              Spoiler:
              MBA (my chemistry teacher): What is Avagadros constant?
              Me: 6 and a bit times 10 to the 23.
              MBA: Yea, you know that "bit" is two billion trillion?
              Me: Im barnsley and hung over, a bit will do
              AND
              MBA: What do we do to the number of moles to get the number of atoms?
              Me: Times it by that really big number!
              MBA: Yes, that really big number, what is it?
              Me: How should i know?
              MBA: Its on the board
              Me: Then whats the point in asking???

Comment

Originally posted by Hooperman1990 View Post
                I never noticed it, but thinking about it, did anyone think that when the dakara superweapon opened it looked a little like a ball inside, like the supernova cricketball thing?
                Wow, yeah. That too. It might just be coincidental though. What does the supernova device do again? Does it make every star in the universe go nova?

By the way, in regards to my movie idea (see above), I myself can't find the damn thing. But basically it's about how some of the Ori's followers grow weary of the war, like the white robots get bored of the Krikkit war.

Made me laugh so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Lord Baal View Post
                  Only thing is its a bit more fun i guess is the word in the hitchikers guide
                  yup
                  sigpic

Comment

Never really thought of that- but no, I don't think Hitchhiker's Guide was an inspiration for it- it's just a theme that just happens to be in both works.

Comment

The Ori weren't really from a small idylic village.. their followers were, but the Ori themselves were an offshoot of the Ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by Toresica View Post
                        The Ori weren't really from a small idylic village.. their followers were, but the Ori themselves were an offshoot of the Ancients.
                        Uhh, yes I wrote the Ori's human followers are forced to fight a war, and they come from small villages, the Ori of course reside in the flames of enlightenment or whatever they're called .

Made me laugh so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy1 View Post
                          Wow, yeah. That too. It might just be coincidental though. What does the supernova device do again? Does it make every star in the universe go nova?

By the way, in regards to my movie idea (see above), I myself can't find the damn thing. But basically it's about how some of the Ori's followers grow weary of the war, like the white robots get bored of the Krikkit war.
                          The Weapon is like a Beam that turns things to ash, this beam only works on the liveing so the cloth is left behind, and works like a wave.
                          That Ball looked cool it's unfortnate that it was
                          Spoiler:
                          Destroyed
                          Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
                          Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
                          new enemy of the Ori
                          At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Working...
                          X