X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapping gates to Atlantis for Season Four

Sourced from here: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/1...isi_for_.shtml

"I am contractually obligated to the franchise for a year. I knew at the beginning of Season Ten that it was a possibility that if SG-1 went down that I might be doing some Atlantis," Tapping told GateWorld in an interview. "They exercised that option, which is fine.... I think that this is a potential for a bit of fun. More than Carter and McKay."

Woah. Non stop casting updates these past few weeks, what with news on Jewel Staite, Paul McGillion and now, Amanda Tapping. What role would Carter play and what happens on earth and to SG-1 during that time? How will this change Atlantis' command dynamics (she is ranked higher than Shep, right?) Did the writers opt for Carter as a foil to McKay (who they write well for) b/c they couldn't figure out how to write "meaty" stuff for Carson? How much more flustered and snarky can McKay get? Will we see Jeannie move over next?

So what do y'all think?
    Lost In Space - wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be (aka my geek blog)

Thanks to ileliberte for permission to share her amazing art

Wow, all the casting changes are really going to change the dynmaics of SGA. I sure hope the writers know what they are doing. I love Sam/Amanda Tapping but I hope they don't turn McKay into a bumbling idiot a because of his crush on her or give Zelenka less screen time because she could be a scientific balance for McKay. Zelenka and McKay are some of my favorite screentime moments.

Maybe she will command a ship or something, that would be cool!
    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
      I hope they don't turn McKay into a bumbling idiot a because of his crush on her or give Zelenka less screen time because she could be a scientific balance for McKay. Zelenka and McKay are some of my favorite screentime moments.
      I would be willing to bet money that we see next to nothing of Zelenka next season, given that they're also adding Michael Beach to the cast. If they're smart they'll put Carter on a ship and have her stop in now and then as a recurring guest. But then, we've seen how "smart" the SGA producers are lately and I'm not encouraged. In light of that, my guess is that we're going to get another season of "The Rodney McKay Show" with he and Carter as the main characters. Don't get me wrong; I like Rodney. I like all the characters in SGA. But I don't like the way the writers are so myopic they can't see any other characters BUT Rodney.
      sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
      ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by nonniemous View Post
        I would be willing to bet money that we see next to nothing of Zelenka next season, given that they're also adding Michael Beach to the cast. If they're smart they'll put Carter on a ship and have her stop in now and then as a recurring guest.
        Yeah, I'm worried about Dr Z's future too - which is a shame since Atlantis is supposed to be an international expedition, darn it! And David Nkyl really worked hard and deserved his role here.

Also, Michael Beach?! I must have missed that. Did he get cast as the commander of the new ship (Apollo)?

In light of that, my guess is that we're going to get another season of "The Rodney McKay Show" with he and Carter as the main characters. Don't get me wrong; I like Rodney. I like all the characters in SGA. But I don't like the way the writers are so myopic they can't see any other characters BUT Rodney.
        Agreed too. As much as a I adore McKay and think Hewlett's a fine actor, we really have been hit over the head with McKay scenes at the expense of the existing cast. The writers have admitted to be (or been described as) little versions of McKay themselves - so we may see more of the same unless new, fresh writers join the fold?
        Lost In Space - wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be (aka my geek blog)

Thanks to ileliberte for permission to share her amazing art

Comment

I would be willing to bet money that we see next to nothing of Zelenka next season, given that they're also adding Michael Beach to the cast.
          Yeah, that's kind of what I am feeling and worried about. Zelenka is one of my favorites and I guess no one likes to see their favorites get less screen time or go away.

Michael Beach??? Haven't read that one yet.

If they're smart they'll put Carter on a ship and have her stop in now and then as a recurring guest. But then, we've seen how "smart" the SGA producers are lately and I'm not encouraged.
          I would actually like to see this happen. For what ever reason they feel they have to reinvent SGA. The producers must be trying to go after another target group to help boost ratings.

Don't get me wrong; I like Rodney. I like all the characters in SGA. But I don't like the way the writers are so myopic they can't see any other characters BUT Rodney.
          I think the problem is that Rodney reminds the writers of themselves, it is easier to write about your favorite topic when it is near and dear to your heart. I like Rodney alot too, but I think many episodes have been at the expense of many of the other characters and adding Sam could help encourage that all the more.
          Last edited by Rosehawk; 21 November 2006, 08:01 PM.
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Well the first news on a SG-1 character coming over to Atlantis for a posible main role or recurring has come in and the person i least expected it would be is Amanda! However I am thirlled about this as I am not against a few characters coming on Atlantis and I think more Carter mckay manerisims will be great! I am actually thrilled and I hope it doesent turn anyone eoff of the show as I think it will make it that much better. Mods please add a poll with this:
            Do you want Carter on Atlantis?
            NO! Keep her Away!

Yes! Great Adidtion!

Mabey, wait and see.

Don't care.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I'm sorry to say I have to disagree. I like Sam, I really do. And I like Amanda Tapping but I'm feeling wiggy about this bringing her over to Atlantis. If it's one or two episodes that's fine (four tops). But it sounds like it's going to be much more than that and I'm not cool with that. With the exception of the ever debatable ship status of Atlantis, I like Atlantis the way it is with the characters they have. Sam *is* a great character and Amanda Tapping a great actress but TPTB had her on SG-1 for 10 years. I say let her move on and don't mess with what you've got.

AL

Comment

I gotta say that this was a surprise and not a good one. I've never been much of a Sam fan but there's really no need for her to be on Atlantis. The writers and Co should focus on the characters they have now. It's starting to feel like Sg1 season 9 with all the cast changes.

Love the Lorne | The F.O.R.D shall rule the earth.... | Fly boys do it in the air
                Quirk - The Paul McGillion fanlisting | Grace - The Rachel Luttrell fanlisting

Comment

Originally posted by A.L. View Post
                  I'm sorry to say I have to disagree. I like Sam, I really do. And I like Amanda Tapping but I'm feeling wiggy about this bringing her over to Atlantis. If it's one or two episodes that's fine (four tops). But it sounds like it's going to be much more than that and I'm not cool with that. With the exception of the ever debatable ship status of Atlantis, I like Atlantis the way it is with the characters they have. Sam *is* a great character and Amanda Tapping a great actress but TPTB had her on SG-1 for 10 years. I say let her move on and don't mess with what you've got.

AL
                  It's hard to do with a contract like that. that could mean that not all cast was signed for a season 11 and only a few. I actually really think this can be good for the show I hope someone agree's that she would be a great adition.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I am very hopeful that this will be a good thing...hopefully the cast addition will uplift the show entirely. I hope Dr. Z stays on.

Some of the other guest characters/plots that have not worked so well, perhaps will be supplanted by Carter's arrival...
                    sigpic

Comment

As I've always said...we shall see what happens.

Comment

Wow! I can't wait to see Amanda on SGA! This should be interesting.

Comment

When there was news that an SG-1 character would join the Atlantis cast in an effort to bring some SG-1 viewers, I figured it would have to be Daniel, Sam, or both, so I am not at all surprised they went with Sam given she's already been guest starring annually and has great chemestry with McKay. I wonder if Zelenka will be killed off in a heroic manner? Sam could replace him as McKay's right-hand man, she could also end up commanding the Daedalus, or she could just be called to Atlantis to help McKay solve the occasional crisis.

Michael Shanks said he would not join the Atlantis. Does this rule out guest appearances? O'Neill's been in 3 episodes, Carter's been in 3 episodes, Landry's been in 4 episodes, and Hammond's been in 1 episode. Heck, we even saw Dr. Lee and Agent Barrett in an episode! Why has Daniel only been in one episode? I don't expect him to join the main cast since he's done 9 years of SG-1, but I figured they would bring him to Atlantis once a year like they've been doing with Carter.

Sam's joining the cast, and guest appearances by Shanks are unkown. I don't see them replacing Weir with Landry, so I don't see him doing any more than two or three episodes a year like he's already been doing. Teal'c and Vala have no reason to go to Atlantis. Sheppard and Mitchell would be redundant. Obviously O'Neill, Jonas, and Hammond won't join the cast... those characters are pretty much done with.

Really, the only options were Mitcell, Sam, and Daniel. I guess Sam was the best choice.

Comment

It's seems to me that they are trying to push it. But I don't really know.

I'm a fan of the two shows, and I am also a viewer.
                            Last edited by Wonder; 21 November 2006, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

Michael Shanks said he would not join the Atlantis. Does this rule out guest appearances? O'Neill's been in 3 episodes, Carter's been in 3 episodes, Landry's been in 4 episodes, and Hammond's been in 1 episode. Heck, we even saw Dr. Lee and Agent Barrett in an episode! Why has Daniel only been in one episode? I don't expect him to join the main cast since he's done 9 years of SG-1, but I figured they would bring him to Atlantis once a year like they've been doing with Carter.

Really, the only options were Mitcell, Sam, and Daniel. I guess Sam was the best choice.
                              Argh!!! Because this is Atlantis, not Sg-1... Atlantis!! Different show, different characters, different storylines!! Just because SG-1 got canceled doesn't mean they can all get up, go to Atlantis and we'll all be a big happy family...
                              Don't get my wrong, Sg-1 is a great show, but Sam doesn't fit in Atlantis... What else are they gonna do?? They've already bumped
                              Spoiler:
                              Beckett
                              , who will have to leave now because TPTB screwed up the contracts? Zelenka? McKay is gonna be reduced to one babbling idiot again, Teyla and Ronon will get even less screen time. Heck, why not bump them too and bring over Vala and Teal'c?
                              And oh right, you want Daniel for more guest appearances! We don't see Sheppard, McKay, Weir and Beckett once a year in SG-1, do we?

Just imagine the roles were reversed and Atlantis people would come to SG-1, taking away the precious screen time of your favorite character...

This is destroying Atlantis, cause it's driving away the fans.. TPTB say this season is the best so far because it's character driven.. Well, it's not gonna be character driven for much longer, cause you can't divide 43 minutes by 10 and get any character movement..

This is killing our show!!!
                              *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Working...
                              X