Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast

Chevron Tao of Rodney (314)

Visit the Episode GuideATLANTIS SEASON THREE
    TAO OF RODNEY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 314

After an Ancient device gives Rodney superhuman powers, his enhanced brilliance is checked only by his impending death -- unless he can learn how to ascend.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    SPOILERS! PHOTOS! AND MORE!
    Last edited by GateWorld; May 18th, 2014 at 08:29 PM.

Chief Master Sergeant techjunkie's Avatar

Default S314 Tao of Rodney - and Yes it aired. **SPOILERS**

Hi All -

Just watched Tao of Rodney. A much better outing that last weeks irresponsible. Here in the land of mucklucks and poutine, the episode aired on Movie Central despite saying it would be a rerun.

The episode was good - better than last week. Rodney was in true form, and the story was not at all like the spoilers we've seen previously.

Good stuff - they explore the city, and a problem with turned on tech ensues.

Really good stuff - instead on focusing on the technobable, it's a story about your journey in life and closure... and how some find it. Rodney's journey is surprisingly touching.

The ending was... albeit a bit trekie... touching.

I enjoyed it. The shark does not seem to be circling this week's episode.

Tech Junkie
    http://www.naturescapeimages.com/test.gif
    Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Captain

Default Re: S314 Tao of Rodney - and Yes it aired. **SPOILERS**

Sounds good. McKay is my favourite character so i cant wait to see the episode tomorrow.

Here is the episode description I gave in the other thread. There are spoilers for the whole episode here, so read at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    Rodney get's himself zapped my an ancient "forced acsension" device that gives him super powers akin to the Ancients. It's not all good news though, as the team soon discovers that if Rodney doesn't ascend, his brain will shut down completely after a period of time.

Best parts:
    -Rodney uses his telekenesis to move Beckett around the jumper bay so he can prove he's all powerful. Beckett is less than pleased.

When he learns he's going to die, he attempts to make peace with his friends and with himself so that he might be able to ascend. In turn, we get:
    -a heartfelt apology to Zelenka (break out the kleenex!)
    - hugs Ronon and takes his Wraith scars away
    -shares an Athosian tea ceremony with Teyla

Tonnes of Rodney/John moments. This episode will be a dream come true to all the McShep slashers out there.
    -John tries to teach Rodney how to meditate and reach a state of calm based on what he learned when stuck in the Cloister in Season 2. This scene was very amusing, as John tried to get Rodney to imagine himself sitting on a Ferris Wheel...etc...blue skies and peace. All the while, John is flipping through a magazine. LOL

I really enjoyed this episode. It showed us a side of Rodney that we haven't quite seen before, and it had a lot of scenes with character development and team interaction. There was even an admission of familial love at the end of the episode.

In the end, Rodney saves himself at the last possible minute...and then teases Elizabeth about how much she "loves" him.

Very cute. ****

Thanks so much for the spoilers! Sounds like a good ep! Do they show previews for next week by chance or is that something that only Sci Fi does? I'm a bit bummed that Sunday didn't air, but very happy that at least it wasn't a rerun!
    Thanks again for all the wonderful tidbits!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Thanks so much for the spoilers! Sounds like a good ep! Do they show previews for next week by chance or is that something that only Sci Fi does? I'm a bit bummed that Sunday didn't air, but very happy that at least it wasn't a rerun!
    Thanks again for all the wonderful tidbits!
    No, Movie Central doesn't give us "preview" spots....unfortunately. Those would be nice to have! Hopefully we'll get Sunday next week. According to the offical email sent a few weeks back, we're due one more new epsiode before the Holiday break. *crosses fingers* I honestly never know what is going to be on until is actually airs...and you're welcome for spoilers. I the worst at writing up episode summaries, but I try!

First Lieutenant JohnSheppard28's Avatar

Yes, thank you! And you do a great job at spoilers! I'm happy for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfantastica View Post
    No, Movie Central doesn't give us "preview" spots....unfortunately. Those would be nice to have! Hopefully we'll get Sunday next week. According to the offical email sent a few weeks back, we're due one more new epsiode before the Holiday break. *crosses fingers* I honestly never know what is going to be on until is actually airs...and you're welcome for spoilers. I the worst at writing up episode summaries, but I try!

Thanks for letting me know! And I love your summaries! Thanks so much again for taking the time to do that!
    My understanding is that there is one more new ep next week and then a three week hiatus before new eps resume. Three weeks isn't too bad though! I'm crossing my fingers for Sunday next week as well! Thanks again!

I'm doing what I can not read this thread in detail, but wasn't "Sunday" the episode that was supposed to be aired?

General

The airing order is not really confirmed until the episodes air.

So we can expect the UK and US to get the same?

probably, usually they air in the same order everywhere (doesnt make sense if part of the story is out)

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    So we can expect the UK and US to get the same?
    Yep, as the rumoured reason for the switch is...

Spoiler:
    Carson is killed off/disappears in 'Sunday' but the actor, Paul McGillion, talked about being in at least Toa and The Ark, so it wouldn't have made sense to air 'Sunday' first...

I believe someone posted that 'Sunday' will air as ep 17/18 on one of the assicoated rumour threads, so after Xmas in Canada as next week is the last ep before it returns in the New Year.

Captain

Default Re: Tao of Rodney (315)

Last edited by Darren; December 12th, 2006 at 08:16 AM.

Second Lieutenant the old briar pipe's Avatar

I have no words for this. Embarrassed to say I actually cried.

*wipes eyes*

It was just. There wasn't a single moment I didn't love. I cannot believe they made an ep like this. The only thing that would have improved it would be to have more Teyla.

And now it's finally true: Rodney McKay can heal puppies with his brain!

Second Lieutenant the old briar pipe's Avatar

Bwahaha! Isn't the hug great?

Do you have one of the doughnut stealing?

Captain

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/12/371902/A.jpg

Rodney - I want that doughnut

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/12/371902/B.jpg

Carson - Thats my doughnut you *******

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/12/371902/C.jpg

Carson - Sleep with one eye open you doughnut stealing *******

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/12/371902/D.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/12/371902/E.jpg

Rodney - Hey Ronon are you hungry

Ronon - Yes

Rodney - Lets go doughnut hunting

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/12/371902/F.jpg

Rodney - Time for my revenge on Carson

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/12/371902/G.jpg

Rodney - Yummy

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/12/371902/H.jpg

Rodney - Dont worry big guy you get the next one
    Last edited by Darren; December 12th, 2006 at 08:17 AM.

I liked the episode. I would compare the story to "The Fifth Race" from SG-1, without the awesome ending. There were references to SG-1 in general, "Prototype", story clues from "Lost City", inclusion of events from "The Return p2", and McKay's sister and family.

I have nothing bad to say about this episode, other than the general "TPTB didn't mix the team very much". Don't get me wrong, most of the scenes were very funny, but I was waiting for the logical conclusion to put McKay with Teyla for meditation, not Sheppard. It was a live-and-death situation after all.

And I know TPTB would never change McKay's attitude in future episodes (they would be stupid if they did), but I wasn't expecting McKay to be back to being a jerk right at the end of this episode. I can't say if it would have worked better to end this ep with a I'mSorry!McKay like in Trinity and only cut back to Jerk!McKay next episode.

The really good:
    - Much much much Zelenka. I don't think he was ever featured as much as in this episode.
    - New places in Atlantis. Kudos to the set decorators, because I didn't recognize most of them from somewhere else. (Only the cafeteria really looked like the gate area this time.)
    - Use of the Ancient chair, this time not for defending the city.
    - Much Ancient writing.
    - Bonding scenes with McKay and all the members of his team.
    - Character moments for all main characters, even though this was a McKay episode.
    - References to Halling, even though he wasn't in this episode.
    - Although this episode was rather comical, there were moments where you could feel for McKay and his situation.
    - More about how ascension actually works.
    - McKay claiming in front of Weir that she loved him. Yeah right. And the reaction of Weir.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/AngryPC2.gif No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/AngryPC2.gif
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/AngryPC2.gif "Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/AngryPC2.gif (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...es/AngryPC.gif

Quote Originally Posted by sgeureka View Post
    The really good:
    - Much much much Zelenka. I don't think he was ever featured as much as in this episode.
    - New places in Atlantis. Kudos to the set decorators, because I didn't recognize most of them from somewhere else. (Only the cafeteria really looked like the gate area this time.)
    - Use of the Ancient chair, this time not for defending the city.
    - Much Ancient writing.
    - Bonding scenes with McKay and all the members of his team.
    - Character moments for all main characters, even though this was a McKay episode.
    - References to Halling, even though he wasn't in this episode.
    - Although this episode was rather comical, there were moments where you could feel for McKay and his situation.
    - More about how ascension actually works.
    - McKay claiming in front of Weir that she loved him. Yeah right. And the reaction of Weir.
    Fully agree with everything you said. i loved the ep but i was wondering why Teyla wasn't used for meditation. The tea scene was very sweet and it was really nice to see more of McKay with Teyla and Ronan not just Shep. Zelenka was fantastic in it. Really felt the sorry scene was brilliantly wrote. The only thing bad i have to say is, i wish they had shown more of Lorne. The guy hasn't been it in for months and we only get a second frame and that's it! Also (sorry) i don't like how the writers are making Carson and Rodney so mean to eachother all the time this season. You wouldn't even think they were mates. Loved the ending, didn't see it coming and it wasn't the typical conclusion. With McKay jerkest at the end, IMO, you could feel the humour in his voice. i think it has changed him and helped him appreciate those he has around him more but i think now the others can understand why he's like that more.

Nice pics, can't wait to see this one. Which will be tonight.