Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Echoes (312)

Chevron Echoes (312)

Visit the Episode GuideATLANTIS SEASON THREE
    ECHOES
    EPISODE NUMBER - 312

The inhabitants of Atlantis begin to suffer ill effects when the planet's whale population begins migrating to the island city, bringing an unexpected harbinger of doom.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    SPOILERS! PHOTOS! AND MORE!
    Last edited by Darren; January 8th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.

First Lieutenant

Default Re: Echoes (312)

i cant beleive the stupid blockheads gave their zpms to the odysessy and earth

I was going to write a great detailed summary for you all but now that I sit down to type I find I've having trouble remembering details so I shall leave that to people more talented than I.

Things I liked:

- Firstly, I found there was a lot of great snark in this episode! I liked the interesting combination of Zelenka, Sheppard and Ronon in the Puddlejumper at the beginning. Plus it had a lot of great little character moments throughout.

- I loved that Rodney was immensely pleased that his whale friend is back to visit. And that Sheppard thought Rodney naming the whale 'Sam' was “creepy”. Hee

- I liked that Teyla got more screentime. Her and Ronon have a number of scenes together. I'm anti-ship in general, but I do think they have chemistry together. (Did I just admit that out loud?)

- The deaf Rodney & Sheppard scenes were funny, and the scenes in the Puddlejumper leading up to it were great as well. They made my whumper's heart happy.

A question though: don't perforated eardrums take months to heal?

- For some reason I was moved by the computer display showing all the little dots of the whales huddled under Atlantis for protection. I'm not quite sure why.

Things I didn't like: (and these were fairly serious issues for me):

- The completely extraneous scenes with Kate Heightmeier. We all know that Teyla and Weir are not crazy so I wanted to get on with the plot! These scenes could have been chopped out and their screentime put to better use.

- The beginning was too slow and the last half had too much happening. They could have evened out the episode pacing a little more.

However, overall I was entertained and amused. Which is all that matters in the grand scheme of things

Chief Master Sergeant techjunkie's Avatar

Default 03x12 Echoes: ZPM's, Whales, and Caldwell Oh MY!

Not Quite Spoiler-ific Time!

Just caught the HD Echoes episode, and was impressed. Not too worry, the spoilers are below in tags. I was a little miffed; Movie Central aired it at the wrong time on the west coast, and I was a little blue over the news of the impending loss of one of the characters next season. My Turtles!

Overall - a return to what makes this series cool, and one of my personal wishes - to explore Atlantis! Okay - Now for the spoilers:
    Spoiler:

These are semi spoilers

The episode sees the return of the whale-like big fishes that circled Rodney's downed jumper last season. We do get up-close and personal with one, and their arrival was done in a very good suspense building way. Are they good guys or bad guys - and yes they are connected to the visions of a burned Atlantean among others.

We do get an update to the massive plot holes that have been discussed on this board.

(1) No Atlanteans survived last episode. In fact, it's referred to as the 'murder of the Atlanteans' several times.

(2) Atlantis HAD three ZPM's, fully charged. They now have one. One was sent to power the Antarctic defensive system, the other was sent to the Odyssey to give it a boost against the Ori. Sweet.

The ending was a a brute-force solution, thought of by Major Sheppard. Quite cool, neat effects, and we get to see Caldwell act angry.

Oh yeah, and Tayla and Ronin are starting to look like they need some private time.

Overall a good episode. Kept me in suspense, although I kinda knew 'who' was doing this. 'Why '- was a surprise.

Tech Junkie
    http://www.naturescapeimages.com/test.gif
    Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Quote Originally Posted by daniel9 View Post
    i cant believe the stupid blockheads gave their zpms to the odyssey and earth
    did they?
    why didn't they give the zpm to the Daedalus to keep the shows separate?

First Lieutenant

either way u cant stopthe orii ships with a zpm and theyve yet to do anything against the wraith using a zpm either. so its a waste

Wow is this it? surely there must be more discussion happening

Toadland (AKA the Queens land), Australia

lol, that's exactly what I was thinking Travis!

Spoiler junkie here I'm not going to see this ep for another few days but I wanna know all about it by then

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Fan View Post
    lol, that's exactly what I was thinking Travis!

Spoiler junkie here I'm not going to see this ep for another few days but I wanna know all about it by then
    LOL I know, been hanging for this all day kind of dissapointing, oh well may be we'll get lucky later.

In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!

Was Beckett in the episode at all??

Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Quote Originally Posted by travis View Post
    Wow is this it? surely there must be more discussion happening
    according to another thread, movie channel (whoever) didn't air it at the advertised time, so many folks might have missed it.

er, correction: since half the people commenting about the episode live in the UK, well... guess it aired, er, *somewhere*....

Immediate thoughts as I watch the ep:

• Nice to see Ronon actually be something other than stoic - I *liked* seeing him annoyed and pissy in the jumper!
    • Teyla kicking Ronon's ass at stick-fighting! Go Teyla!!
    • BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG fat reset button to beat em all - have to admit to a little bit of disappointment that everything is magically back to normal at Atlantis with no sign of the Earth expedition ever even being gone and no repercussions of the rescue - not even a mention of Sheppard being even told off!
    • Sheppard-McKay banter and teasing! Loving it!
    • Weir calling referring to Sheppard and McKay as "boys". Awesome.
    • Heightmeyer looked much better as a blonde - being brunette makes her look pale and drawn.
    • Sheppard making anti-Canadian comments to test if Rodney is still deaf!! *BWAH!*
    • Sheppard and McKay talking at the tops of their voices all the time!
    • "Just like a pigeon"!!
    • Oh my - the sparky fans are gonna LOVE Sheppard carrying Weir to the infirmary!
    • Wow. Found myself actually tensing up as the solar flare thingy hit the Daedalus!
    • Hmmm.. the whole "Ronon doesn't understand technobabble so say it in simple words of one syllable" joke is getting a bit old. He's not dumb for crying out loud...
    • DeafWeir(TM. Heh.
    )

All in all. Good ep. I enjoyed it.

i really liked this episode. it had alot of humour and some brilliant character moments. It was lovely to see more of Teyla and Ronan. Yes, Carson was in the ep but played more of the doctor role than anything else.

Loved the McKay and Sheppard moments, the deaf scenes were so funny.

The ending!!!!! That McKay smile!!! So cute!!!!!!!

sorry, big McKay fan and fell in love all over again at that smile

Quote Originally Posted by SmallTimePerson View Post
    did they?
    why didn't they give the zpm to the Daedalus to keep the shows separate?
    The reason given was to help the ship in the fight against the Orii (wouldn't hurt to have the ZPM powering the sheilds I guess!)

Quote Originally Posted by sueKay View Post
    Was Beckett in the episode at all??
    Yup, he was in it lots. Everyone starts getting sick so lots of infirmary action and Beckett doing his thang.

Guess i'd better write an episode summary or something then if no-one else has?

Talking Re: 03x12 Echoes: ZPM's, Whales, and Caldwell Oh MY!

Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie View Post

Just caught the HD Echoes episode, and was impressed. Not too worry, the spoilers are below in tags. I was a little miffed; Movie Central aired it at the wrong time on the west coast, and I was a little blue over the news of the impending loss of one of the characters next season. My Turtles!

Overall - a return to what makes this series cool, and one of my personal wishes - to explore Atlantis! Okay - Now for the spoilers:
    Spoiler:

These are semi spoilers

The episode sees the return of the whale-like big fishes that circled Rodney's downed jumper last season. We do get up-close and personal with one, and their arrival was done in a very good suspense building way. Are they good guys or bad guys - and yes they are connected to the visions of a burned Atlantean among others.

We do get an update to the massive plot holes that have been discussed on this board.

(1) No Atlanteans survived last episode. In fact, it's referred to as the 'murder of the Atlanteans' several times.

(2) Atlantis HAD three ZPM's, fully charged. They now have one. One was sent to power the Antarctic defensive system, the other was sent to the Odyssey to give it a boost against the Ori. Sweet.

The ending was a a brute-force solution, thought of by Major Sheppard. Quite cool, neat effects, and we get to see Caldwell act angry.

Oh yeah, and Tayla and Ronin are starting to look like they need some private time.

Overall a good episode. Kept me in suspense, although I kinda knew 'who' was doing this. 'Why '- was a surprise.

Tech Junkie
    COOL , can't wait to see this episode. When does it air in Canada?

Default Re: 03x12 Echoes: ZPM's, Whales, and Caldwell Oh MY!

Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie View Post

Spoiler:

These are semi spoilers

Tech Junkie
    sweet! thanks for the info!

Brigadier General FallenAngelII's Avatar

Default Re: 03x12 Echoes: ZPM's, Whales, and Caldwell Oh MY!

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorn_One View Post
    COOL , can't wait to see this episode. When does it air in Canada?
    About 12 hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel9 View Post
    i cant beleive the stupid blockheads gave their zpms to the odysessy and earth
    Yes lets just let Earth die.

Atlantis doesn't NEED 3 ZPMs if it has 1. Earth does. It REALLY does.

What's wrong with sharing the joy?

Okay so I'm typing up a nice big long summary of the ep - it's turning out reeeeeally long so probably will take more than one post. So here's the first bit - I'll put it in spoiler tags to be on the safe side:

Spoiler:
    The episode begins with Sheppard flying Zelenka and Ronon back from the mainland where Zelenka has been performing some scientific tests and Ronon was hunting – Ronon is in a foul mood cos the noise of Zelenka’s tests scared off any game! Sheppard suggests he try meditation lessons with Teyla. They suddenly realise that they should be able to see Atlantis but it’s not there. After a coupla moment of confusion Zelenka tells Sheppard to change course and they find the city right where it should be – the jumper’s navigational system is off. They get back to the city and Ronon joins Teyla for a meditation lesson… and falls asleep! Teyla is not too impressed when he starts snoring! Teyla leaves the meditation session and as she walks back to her quarters she sees an Ancient woman walking down the corridor towards her, speaking in a weird noises that Teyla cannot understand. Teyla tries to speak to her but the woman walks right through her and disappears.

Opening credits.

Rodney bugs Elizabeth about his desire to keep all 3 ZPMs the city was left with after the replicator takeover. Elizabeth tells him it’s not possible – they need one for the Antarctica outpost and one for the Oddysey to help them in their fight against the Orii. Ronon and Teyla stick fight (and she kicks his ass! ) and as they walk through the corridors together afterwards, Teyla sees the Ancient woman again – Ronon can’t see her. This time, Teyla steps aside and lets the woman walk past her and follows as she walks up to a door which opens and a terribly burned man staggers out. The vision disappears leaving Teyla shocked and Ronon confused – he saw nothing.

Sheppard meets Rodney on a balcony where Rodney is using binoculars to watch the whale creature from GUP (he thinks it’s the same whale) swimming around not far from the city. Teyla has a brain scan which is clear with no sign of any abnormality. No-one can work out why she saw what she saw. Teyla theorises that perhaps she is seeing the “ghosts” of Ancients who died recently during the Asuran attack and who tried to ascend but were prevented from doing so fully and are trapped between planes of existence.

Rodney tells Weir and Sheppard that he has found information on the whale-like creature in the Ancient database. He mentions that “Sam” lead Sheppard and Zelenka to him in the submerged jumper and hastily covers up by saying he has named the whale Sam! Night time. Teyla gets into bed but before she can fall asleep she is disturbed by a noise – the same odd speech she heard the Ancient woman make before. She leaves her room and sees the same thing – the woman walks past her, the door opens and the burned man staggers out. This time before they disappear the woman catches the burned man and turns to, it seems, cry out for help. Teyla clutches her head as though the noise causes her pain.

Teyla talks to Heightmeyer about her visions and they discuss why they are appearing only to Teyla. Teyla thinks if the visions are Ancients trapped between planes, they may be trying to communicate and ask for help. Heightmeyer updates Weir on the situation with Teyla – after she leaves, Weir opens a transporter door to be confronted with the burned man. He disappears, leaving Weir shocked. Weir and Teyla discuss the visions with Heightmeyer and she thinks it may be the power of suggestion and that both Weir and Teyla are tired and need a break. Teyla has headaches and cannot sleep - Heightmeyer suggests both Weir and Teyla see Beckett for something to hekp them sleep.

McKay shows Sheppard that he has found a second whale on the scanners – possibly “Sam’s” mother. Sheppard claims calling the whale Sam is creepy but suggests they take a jumper and take a closer look at them. Zelenka warns them that he’s not yet sure he has fixed the problem with the navigational glitch but that he will track them from the control room. Beckett gives Weir and Teyla sleeping pills and tells them they should make time for at least 8 hours uninterrupted rest. After they leave, he sees a team of Ancient medics treating/operating on the burned man. They disappear.

McKay and Sheppard fly the jumper underwater to get a closer look at the whales. In a corridor on Atlantis, Ronon sees a team of Ancient scientists gathered around a console then they disappear. As they get closer to the whales, Sheppard starts to get a headache. They have a problem with navigation again and suddenly find themselves much closer to the whales than they intended to get. McKay gets a sudden headache too. They agree that it’s not a coincidence and decide to pull back. Zelenka suggests it may be the whales’ echo location system creating uncomfortable vibrations and causing the headaches. On the monitor Radek suddenly sees many more whales – dozens of them – heading for the jumper. McKay’s nose starts to bleed.

Weir, Beckett, Ronon and Teyla discuss with Heightmeyer that they have all seen the visions now and others in the city are starting to report seeing them. In all the visions the apparitions are Ancients and seem worried. Weir is called to the control room. Sheppard and McKay are trying to get away from the whales to alleviate the pain they are experiencing but the whales are cutting them off. Rodney passes out, bleeding from his ears. Sheppard decides they need to get out of the water now. His ears start bleeding too as he flies the jumper straight up out of the water. On the scanner, hundreds of whales are now heading to Atlantis.

In the infirmary, Sheppard and McKay are in bed and Beckett and Zelenka explain their eardrums have been perforated by the whales’ sonar. Close proximity to the whales’ communication is very dangerous to humans. Sheppard and McKay are partially deaf – though Beckett says it should heal soon – and are shouting when they talk!

Whales are approaching the city from every direction. Their communications are affecting the people in the city – people are experiencing headaches and nosebleeds etc and the closer the whales get, the worse it will get. They turn on the shield. Teyla suggests if the Ancient visions they are seeing are trying to warn them of something, perhaps this is it; her visions started when they first noticed the whale.

In the infirmary, Sheppard is starting to feel better – the pain is less and he thinks he hearing is getting better. He tries to tell McKay who doesn’t appear to hear him. Sheppard tests McKay’s deafness by making a few snide comments “Canadian football league’s a joke”, “Celine Dion is over-rated” and “Zelenka is smarter than you are!” No response from McKay who is working on a datapad – until he announces that he has found mention of a biolab the Ancients used to study animal life.

More people are getting ill – all Beckett can do is give people painkillers. McKay and Sheppard decide to leave the infirmary, saying they are feeling better. Beckett tries to order them back to bed but they explain about the Ancient biolab and that it might help solve their current situation.

Concluding part of my episode summary:

Spoiler:
    The Daedalus arrives and Weir asks them not to beam anyone down as they will be safer on board the ship. Teyla sees another vision and experiences intense pain and collapses, bleeding from the nose. Ronon helps her up and takes her to the infirmary. Sheppard and McKay find the biolab. Weir explains to Caldwell that the whales’ signal seems to be able to penetrate the shields and that there are now hundreds of whales and they are still coming closer. Caldwell suggests that if the whales don’t leave the only option may be to use drones and kill them – before they kill the humans. McKay arrives and explains the whales are not trying to kill them but to help them.

The Ancient biolab contains a transceiver the Ancients were using the study the whales and try to interpret their language. The ghosts are not ghosts but image projections caused by the whales. The ghosts aren’t warning about the whales – the whales are causing the ghosts to try and warn the inhabitants of Atlantis. It’s an attempt to communicate and the console in the bioab should be able to help interpret it.

More and more people are ill and Teyla is in the infirmary. She keeps seeing the burned man being operated on – she is seeing the visions almost constantly now. They decide to beam the most sick people up to the Daedalus. Beckett thinks Teyla should go but she refuses. She realises that the burned man in the visions is wearing the uniform of an Ancient pilot. Carson’s nose starts to bleed.

McKay manages to get the console to translate the weird speech of the woman in the visions – it is distorted but it is Ancient. The console is a transmitter as well as transceiver – the Ancients had been transmitting the whales images and sounds to try and teach them the Ancient language. While they were doing this, there was some kind of disaster and the whales saw and heard the images and sounds of that disaster. The descendants of those whales are now transmitting back those images and sounds to try and warn Atlantis but their playback is imperfect because over the images etc have been passed down through genetic memory and the new whales can mimic the sounds etc but don’t understand them so the mimicry is imperfect. Weir understands enough of the garbled Ancient speech to work out they are talking about something being attacked or overtaken and something called Adaris.

Caldwell again suggests killing the whales but Mckay and Sheppard have found out that the Adaris was an Ancient ship. 15,000 years ago the entire crew except for the pilot was killed when the ship was hit by a massive blast of radiation from the sun. A coronal mass ejection. The badly-burned pilot (the man in the visions) survived long enough to open a hyperspace window and made it back to Atlantis just ahead of the resulting massive wave of radiation in time to warn the city. The Ancients raised the shield and extended it enough to protect a large part of the planet from the blast. The same thing is about to happen, in fact has already started happening, and that is what the whales have been trying to warn them about.

Ronon talks to Teyla in the infirmary – she is getting weaker and weaker. Ronon tries to keep her conscious, telling her to hold on as she has to teach him those meditation lessons. She loses consciousness.

Rodney explains that the solar flare is already building and it will soon collapse and cause the massive ejection of radiation from the sun. it will start as a narrow beam but will spread and will encompass the entire planet. They have less than an hour before the radiation hits them. The whales detected the event in advance, being able to detect small changes in the magnetosphere. The Ancients managed to protect most of the planet with the shield but they had 3 ZPMs – the team only has 1 and it’s too late to get any of the other ZPMs back before the blast hits them. They are out of options - they can’t gate to Earth because they need the ZPM to power the shield, they can’t use the gate bridge because the midway station isn’t completed yet (so they are planning to make it an actual space station type thing where you can use the gate bridge on foot! Wooot!) so people would have to be ferried by jumper. Even if they go to the alpha site, the entire ecosystem of the planet will be damaged for centuries by the blast. No plant life so no breathable air etc. The discussion is interrupted when Weir suddenly collapses.

Sheppard carries Weir into the infirmary and Beckett rushes over. Sheppard sees a nurse pull a sheet over a soldier’s face and Beckett explains they’ve had their first fatality; an aneurysm from the pressure. Sheppard goes to check on the unconscious Teyla and Ronon tells him she is out of time. He asks Sheppard if he has a plan and Sheppard answers, “Sure” and leaves the infirmary. Sheppard contacts the Daedalus.

Sheppard and McKay remove the ZPM from Atlantis; Sheppard’s plan is to use it to power the Daedalus’s shields enough for them to manoeuvre close to the sun and deflect the radiation blast away from the planet before it begins to spread. McKay thinks the plan is insane – says they would have to be dangerously close to the sun and that the heat build up behind the shield will turn them to toast etc. Sheppard thinks they can do it – in any case, they have no other choice.

The Daedalus flies towards the sun whilst McKay tries to connect the ZPM. The prominence is collapsing and they are running out of time. Just in time, McKay gets the ZPM connected and powers the shields and a blast of radiation shoots out from the sun and hits the Daedalus’ shields, splitting in two around the ship. The blast goes on and on and on and McKay says it could last anywhere between a few seconds and several hours. Heat begins to build behind the shield and McKay warns them he told them this was a bad idea. On Atlantis Zelenka explains to Ronon that the blast wave should have hit them by now but it hasn’t so it appears the plan is working.

The Daedalus starts to take damage from the blast; there is a hull breach in the F302 bay. They seal the breach but another area breaches and they are venting atmosphere. Suddenly, the blast stops. Everyone is shaken and surprised – and relieved – that they made it.

Back on Atlantis, Zelenka explains that most of the whales are gone now; they had all taken cover within Atlantis’s shields and then began to disperse as soon as the threat was over. Elizabeth is back on her feet and talking too loud – she’s partially deaf now! Teyla is meditating when Ronon joins her, asking if she is ok. He asks if he can try again with the meditation and she warns him that if he falls asleep again… he hands her a fighting stick and tells her to hit him with it if he does.

Sheppard finds McKay on the balcony again – not all the whales are gone. His friend Sam has hung around a little longer, Rodney thinks he is saying goodbye. Sheppard says that makes sense; “He saved your life and then you saved his. Now you’re even.” Rodney smiles.

THE END!

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast