The Shadows from Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shadows from Babylon 5

I know that there is a Babylon 5 thread, but this is different.
    This is a thread dedicated to one of the most mysterious antagonists
    of Babylon 5: The Shadows. Basically, this is the place to discuss what
    you think of the Shadows, how cool they are, or if you like/dislike them.

They seem to stand out from other races in the Babylon 5 universe,
    I'm not sure why. IMO, they are one of the best antagonists
    a Sci Fi show could have.

According to answers.com, compared to what the Vorlons ask, "Who are you?", the Shadows ask, "What do you want?"

I know that Sheridan confronts a Shadow on Z'Ha'Dum and aims his gun at it,
    but does he shoot it? If he does, does his weapon actually hurt the Shadow?
    I haven't actually seen Babylon 5, so I'm not sure what to think.
    sigpic

The scene is ambigous, but I believe he shot and I believe the weapons of the lesser races can hurt the shadows. They just need to know where to shoot.

There's another scene on the Centauri homeworld where some soldiers with heavy weapons and helmets with visors, presumably to see the Shadows despite being invisible, kill the Shadows on either side of the Emperor.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha View Post
      There's another scene on the Centauri homeworld where some soldiers with heavy weapons and helmets with visors, presumably to see the Shadows despite being invisible, kill the Shadows on either side of the Emperor.
      Actually, if I recall the scene correctly, the guards kill the Shadows on either side of Morden, at Londo's command. The scene does take place in the Emperor's throne room.

Londo later arranges for Morden's head to be placed on a pike. And Vir looks up into Morden's lifeless eyes, and waves... like this...
      I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

You've never seen Babylon 5. Seriously. They still make you?
        are you sure the Shadows in the throne room were killed. The ppg fire seemed to pass through them allowing them to be seen and then they were gone. remember the Shadows and Vorlons are similar to the ancients in that they have evolved and shed there coporeal forms to exist as pure energy. It took alot more than a few bursts of ppg fire to kill the Vorlon ambassador Kosh 2 ("Falling Towards Apotheosis" Season 4) and a Shadow would be at least as formadable. The Shadows were an awesome enemy. we should petition them to make a best of the Shadows box set.
        Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath View Post
          You've never seen Babylon 5. Seriously. They still make you?
          are you sure the Shadows in the throne room were killed. The ppg fire seemed to pass through them allowing them to be seen and then they were gone. remember the Shadows and Vorlons are similar to the ancients in that they have evolved and shed there coporeal forms to exist as pure energy. It took alot more than a few bursts of ppg fire to kill the Vorlon ambassador Kosh 2 ("Falling Towards Apotheosis" Season 4) and a Shadow would be at least as formadable. The Shadows were an awesome enemy. we should petition them to make a best of the Shadows box set.
          Yeah, just like Star Trek came out with the Fan Collectives on DVD.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CatGoddess View Post
            Actually, if I recall the scene correctly, the guards kill the Shadows on either side of Morden, at Londo's command. The scene does take place in the Emperor's throne room.
            You're right. I remember more clearly now.

Originally posted by Kirath
            are you sure the Shadows in the throne room were killed. The ppg fire seemed to pass through them allowing them to be seen and then they were gone.
            I can see what you're saying, but I've always seen the scene as indicating the death of the 2 Shadows.
            Last edited by yaaayoubetcha; 17 November 2006, 08:28 AM.
            Thanks!
            Jordan

my page
            My LJ
            From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I'm not sure that the Shadows or Vorlons were "pure" energy. I think they were still partially physical. I'm pretty sure those two Shadows were killed, mostly because they didn't retaliate. They don't really seem to be the type to say, "hmm they just shot at us, apparently they want us to leave, let's go we know when we're unwanted".
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                I'm not sure that the Shadows or Vorlons were "pure" energy. I think they were still partially physical. I'm pretty sure those two Shadows were killed, mostly because they didn't retaliate. They don't really seem to be the type to say, "hmm they just shot at us, apparently they want us to leave, let's go we know when we're unwanted".
                you're right. just me reading too much into it. It just seemed to me it would take alot more to kill a shadow than that.
                Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Plus, their guard was completely down. Kosh II knew what they were trying. The Shadows had no idea. I loved Londo's face when he pushed that little button...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

i loved Vir in the garden. looking around sheepishly. golf wave.

Comment

The Shadows were great because how carefully and slowly they were built up. No two episode revelation like the Borg or a sudden appearence like species 457. You hear about them in season 1, start fighting them in season 2 and send them packing two seasons later.

The Shadow ships were masterpieces of gothic and mythic proportion, in their spider like shape, translucent and shimmering black surface and unique intelligence (powered by borgified people). They appear suddenly, make a wraith like scream (They ARE based on the Nazgul from Tolkein) and lock in on you, kill you and disappear again.

Comment

The Shadows rule, period. A great alien race in sci-fi and one of the few truely non-humanoid ones that are intelligent too. Oh and their ships used to scare the daylights out of me as a little kid!!
                        Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                        Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
                          Plus, their guard was completely down. Kosh II knew what they were trying. The Shadows had no idea. I loved Londo's face when he pushed that little button...
                          You are insane."
                          "On any other day, Mr. Morden, you would be wrong. Today, today is a very different day. One last time: remove your ships."
                          "No. You don't frighten me, Mollari. If you try to attack our forces, you'll lose."
                          "Yes, your ships are very impressive in the air, or in space. But at this moment they are on the ground."
                          "Fine. They're on the ground, but they can sense an approaching ship miles away. So what are you going to do, Mollari? Blow up the island?"
                          "Actually, .. now that you mention it."
                          "Noooo!"
                          My favorite scene from the entire series, Londo was always my favorite.
                          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Shadows....... well...... they aren't immune to telepathic interfearance.... IE. Lyta...

not to mention it does take a hell of a lot of firepower to take out a shadow ship.......

okay well hows bout some pixz.

clicky:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CKO View Post
                              Shadows....... well...... they aren't immune to telepathic interfearance.... IE. Lyta...

not to mention it does take a hell of a lot of firepower to take out a shadow ship.......

okay well hows bout some pixz.

clicky:

What ship is that in your last pic (Other than the Shadow ship)? It looks awesome!

I heard from a youtube video that a Vorlon says to Sheridan,
                              "If you go to Za'Ha'Dum, you will die."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMeDZN4mE7s&NR

Look, you can see a Shadow up close! He looks scary!
                              Can't you just imagine a Shadow creeping into your bedroom
                              in the middle of the night?

Last edited by Dark Falcon; 18 November 2006, 10:38 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X