This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
    I think if we can prove to Darren that there's enought interest/traffic in the current Heroes thread to warrant a separate sub-forum, he might sit up and take notice.
    Regular, consistent posting would be a good start.
    true, but it's almost impossible cause you have to use spoiler tags all the time.
    could admin check # of new posts about Heroes as compered to Smallville?
    and i am sure people would discuss much more about Heroes then Smallville... it's new, it has many more characters, there are many theories about what is going on...

spoiler tags spoil discussion
    VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Spoiler tags only spoil a discussion if you're a lazy, stupid ass who either can't be bothered to use tags or can't work up the massive energy to click and read them.

Heroes doesn't have the numbers to warrant a separate section and personally I don't see a need for one right now. There has only been ONE active thread generated for it thus far and frankly it isn't all that active. Since Monday night, roughly 3.5 pages have been added, mostly discussing the latest ep. Compare that to TWOP where, in the same amount of time, there are 25 pages of discussion.

And in case you think that having its own folder will magically make the show popular, SCIFI's Heroes folder has about two pages worth of ep discussion and FanForums has about three. So... not necessarily a guarantee of mega discussions.

Incidentally, for all the *****ing about how folks have to discuss all the eps in one thread, I don't recall there being a rule about that. No one is stopped from starting a "Heroes 1x08- Seven Minutes to Midnight (spoilers)" thread to discuss the specific ep. And no one is stopping anyone from starting a "Niki/Ikin- WTF?" thread, or "Sylar theories" or anything else. Will they be merged back into the main thread by the mods? Maybe, maybe not, but I haven't seen anyone try.

lostinspace's suggestion is good as well; if people are that het up about the agony and tedium of spoiler tags all you have to do is start a separate thread for spoiler specific discussion.

Point is, no one is FORCING us to contain everything in a single thread. There's no "one thread or an entire folder" rule on Gateworld. You want another thread? START ONE. See what happens. If the other threads stay popular, it'll be more evidence to show Darren that Heroes is popular enough to warrant its own section. And it the threads die off? Maybe it means the show's popularity on this forum has been over-estimated. And the General SF&F folder isn't popular enough to "blame" heavy traffic for obscuring the threads.

Comment

I enjoy Heroes as much as anyone, but come on, the show is only a half season old and I can think of a handful of other shows that deserve to have there own section before Heroes. Star Wars, Farscape, Babylon 5, The 4400.... just to name a few.

Maybe if Heroes sticks around for a couple years, which I kind of doubt considering what network television usually does to scifi shows, then maybe you can start to talk about its own dedicated section.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
          I already proposed this in the moderator's section, but...

/signed
          darren said
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=128

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=129
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

he... okie, i thought since most shows in this part are in same thread, that such rule exists. sorry if i was pain in the ass... and no, it's no biggie opening spoiler tags and reading them, it was just that i thought it was against rules to open separate topic about every aspect of "Heroes".
            VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Aye

Comment

Personally, it doesn't matter to me either way. If we get one, great. If not, I'll just keep posting in the existing thread like I have been all along.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, aye, aye!!!

I've already sent an e-mail to them to request a permanent Heroes Forum!!
                  I HATE SY-FY

Comment

I was lurking around the 9th Wonders board today and just got sucked into multiple discussions there. Which led me to wonder whether GW is the right place to have deeper discussions about another fandom, esp. one like Heroes where there's a strong, growing alternate forum out there? Granted, their board is less "organized" than it is here at GW - but then again, since we don't (or may not) have a dedicated section, what's the incentive to continue to post here?

Curious what your experience has been with Stargate or other non-Stargate sections here, e.g. BSG. Do you cross post in multiple websites about the same topics? This is really the first time where I've had to ask myself that question since I've only posted here for all things Stargate related even if I do look at other sites for info....

So don't flame me y'all - but I thought I'd raise this here.
                    Lost In Space - wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be (aka my geek blog)

Thanks to ileliberte for permission to share her amazing art

Comment

GW is only place place where i post... i love Stargate, but since it is not running now i enjoy discussing BSG and other shows. I am currentlly more active in BSG part of GW then in any SG... i feel that discussing SG now is like beating dead horse...

that's why i wish there are more sub-forums.... personally, i am thinking to move to somewhere else, where i can discuss other shows without all those SPOILER tags (like in Heros topics).

Don't get me wrong... i love it here... it's great.... but SG is not around and discussing same old stuff is boring...
                      VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

I tried to get into the 9th Wonders board, but there's very little moderation there and TONS and TONS of redundancy. I tried talking to the admin about it (as did others) but he was a bit pissy about it so never mind.

Comment

I use the Superhero Hype Boards which has a Heroes forum and while it is moderated to some degree, I do like the company in GW better. The nice thing about the Hype Boards is that they do have the separate threads to discuss various topics.
                          I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that people on GW have much better manners on the whole. At least they know the difference between criticizing the show and flaming each other.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

If Darren would show me how to make subforums like GW does for episodes, I could convert a chunk of my server to a Heroes forum that's better moderated than 9th Wonder!

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
                              I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that people on GW have much better manners on the whole. At least they know the difference between criticizing the show and flaming each other.
                              You don't get out much around here, do you?

Sorry, but while Gateworld may be better than a lot of places it's hardly a bastion of civility, either. The fact that there have to be pro and anti threads shows how poorly people are willing to tolerate differing points of view. It's either agree or be flamed into the bedrock for being "wrong."

If Heroes ever does get a subforum I don't think it'll be within the first season, unless there's a big increase in numbers around here. Staying power tends to count for more than hyperactivity. Guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                                You don't get out much around here, do you?

Sorry, but while Gateworld may be better than a lot of places it's hardly a bastion of civility, either. The fact that there have to be pro and anti threads shows how poorly people are willing to tolerate differing points of view. It's either agree or be flamed into the bedrock for being "wrong."
                                It's all relative... admittedly...
                                There are a lot more threads these days than there used to be when I joined 2 years ago. But for a huge place like this, I think it does alright. I've had my share of trollish types here but at least they get put in their place quickly enough.
                                But I do hang around a handful of forums and people seem to get away with a lot more in some places than they do here. And people seem to flare up at the slightest thing even in the smaller forums.
                                sigpic
                                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                                X