I'm Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Lost

okay, okay...so my friends said that LOST was a great series and that I should watch it, so naturally I did and watched the first five eps. By half way through the third episode, I was bored, tired and ready to jump out of the window.

Three of my friends are hooked and say that it's better than anything I watch (Stargate, BSG) which made me kinda sad....They all think that Star Wars is the best thing ever and LOST is as well....anyways.

I just really really thought that the idea of LOST sounded good and interesting but IMO I dont think that they know where the story is going. My friends insist that the creators have the ending all planned out and just need to fill in the gap until then, they also say that LOST plans to get about 10 seasons like SG-1. I can't see it getting past season 4, but that's just me. I really think that what my friends said about the creators having the ending all planned out is a load of bullsh#t and that the series is ironically 'lost' as a whole, nevermind the viewers lol.

thoughts?
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

I'm with your friends, although whatever they said about Lost going for ten seasons is most probably bull.

I honestly think that the pilot was one of the greatest TV pilots ever produced.

I'm believing the producers when they say that most of it is planned out - after what happened with The X-Files, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to make something like this up as they go along. And certain things do seem to hint that they have it (or at least some parts) planned ahead.

Comment

Yeah, I believe that they have it all planned, and though the ratings have slipped, they are still very high, so Season 5 is not unlikely IMO (I think they are already signed up for S4).

I feel that this show is easily the best show on the air today (from the US, sorry, but I'm a Whovian first, browncoat second, Lostie 3rd), the story is complex, and while that seems to put a lot of people off, for me, if Im confused by a show, Im happy. A good number of the characters are what I call 4D, something which is hard to acomplish for even the greatest of writers.

As for the pilot, I'm with Naonak, its got to be the best I've ever seen, and to be honest, would have made a brilliant mini-series/TV movie on its own had the series not been picked up.

Its not for everyone, I'll admit that, but those that like it seem to love it. And for me, its far better than Stargate ever was, though there are some shows in the past that have been a little better.

Oh, and theres one more thing this show has
      Spoiler:
      freakin' polar bears!
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
        okay, okay...so my friends said that LOST was a great series and that I should watch it, so naturally I did and watched the first five eps. By half way through the third episode, I was bored, tired and ready to jump out of the window.

Three of my friends are hooked and say that it's better than anything I watch (Stargate, BSG) which made me kinda sad....They all think that Star Wars is the best thing ever and LOST is as well....anyways.

I just really really thought that the idea of LOST sounded good and interesting but IMO I dont think that they know where the story is going. My friends insist that the creators have the ending all planned out and just need to fill in the gap until then, they also say that LOST plans to get about 10 seasons like SG-1. I can't see it getting past season 4, but that's just me. I really think that what my friends said about the creators having the ending all planned out is a load of bullsh#t and that the series is ironically 'lost' as a whole, nevermind the viewers lol.

thoughts?
        Here's a good way to make shows you don't enjoy enjoyable, CRITISE EVERYTHING! I do it if I'm watching Who, just sit and think, "crappy alien", "too predictable", "boring", "OH NO HE HAS LOST HIS LUCKY SCREWDRIVER!"
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Yeah, about "planning ahead", a couple of things have surfaced this season that points to the fact that they really have thought a lot of this out.

Spoiler:
          When the "second island" was revealed, a lot of poeple were screaming about that coming right out of the writers' asses, but these people are also not paying attention. In season one, when Sayid has been captured by the French lady, we see a glimpse of a map of the island. Behold, at the north, two small islands. One North West, the other North. Also, in the third season premier, we see the shot of the others' camp and it's relative distance to the two other camps. If you were paying attention, you would notice the mountains that form a "crater" around the others' camp. Back to the map, you see the exact formation drawn out. And behold, the plane crash sites shown in the premier are spot on to the maps own proportions. It also reveals to us that a massive portion of the island is still not explored, the entire northern section.

After seeing this, I was conviced they have something brewing. I was losing faith until I saw that.

These little spots of foreshadowing are all over the show. Poeple just aren't looking hard enough. Some only a few episodes, others more than a season. The two longest running yet would be the "Hurley Bird", first appearing in the season one finale, and again in the second finale. We are told that it has a huge significance to the entire plot/monster, but won't be told until later this season. And Jacks dead father who he saw walking on the beach in early season one. We now know that the "monster" can take human form, explaining how Jack was able to see him. (3x5).

Anyway, Lost can be perfectly suited for some people. Others not so much. I love BSG and Lost, but I HATE Star Wars and only decently enjoy the SG's. It's all personal taste. Lost requires a lot of patience that many poeple don't have and you can't expect answers to questions in the same episode they arise.

Ten season? No. Five? Definitely. Six? Probably. Beyond that? Doubt it. The creators have stated that they will quit the show when the feel the story is over (they used 5-6 as an example). The show is still the top rated show in the 18-49 demographic by miles for Wednesdays. ABC won't be quick to lose it.
          Last edited by Chricton; 13 November 2006, 02:33 PM.
          Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

I suggest you keep watching and not judge the show so early.
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

When Lost S1 started in my country, I had already heard about the show's success in the states. After I had watched the first five episode, I was pretty disappointed though because there wasn't much that grabbed my attention. (I can feel your pain.) The show starts to get somewhat interesting in the 6th ep with the exploration of the caves, but you only realise what's up with the show's mythology somewhere in the middle of S1.

If a rich and confusing mythology (think re-watching old eps to "get" it) is not your cup of tea, then you might better skip this show. Or you just enjoy the shiny one-ep flashbacks, althought then you don't really get most of the connections.

I currently find myself wasting hours and hours analyzing the mural and THE map of S2 - those who haven't actually watched the relevant episodes/ the whole show religiously will just say they're nice drawings, nothing more. Hardcore fans will disagree and might know parts of the mytholgy some episode/seasons before. Which IMO makes Lost the perfect show for the obsessive fan.

Edit:
              I made it sound as if you had to pay a lot of attention to enjoy the show. That's not the case. I just wanted to say that if you like spending a little more time on Lost besides the hour of TV each week then Lost wouldn't be the worst show out there.
              Last edited by sgeureka; 15 November 2006, 05:31 AM.
              No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
              (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

I just know that I probably wont be watching it when season 3 comes on to Sky One.
                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

From about mid Season 1 to mid Season 2 is the best Lost has been IMO. I suggest you at least give it the first Season to decide if you like it. It was rather slow starting out (but still very good), and I would say so far Season 3 has been a bit slow (yet again, still very good).

The show is clearly planned out ahead, it wouldn't work otherwise. Part of the attraction is that everything fits together, but you just don't quite know how. There are so many pieces to the puzzle, and every puzzle has a solution.

I think 10 seasons is unlikely, not because of the quality of the show, it's good enough in that respect to run for 10 seasons and beyond. However, it's a mystery, and as fun as a mystery is, it has to have an end to be worthwhile. I'd predict 6 seasons based on the pace of the show so far.

Keep watching, I'm sure it will suck you in and you'll enjoy it as much as everyone else.

Comment

Serialized shows like this can't run for too long. Actors age much faster than their counterparts. Look at the situation that came out of having Walt as a regular. Shows like lost and BSG are best suited for 4-6 year runs for this reason. Plus the plots are largly mapped out. "Stretching" them only kills the quality.
                    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Working...
                    X