How fast is warp???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast is warp???

How fast is it??? Like is warp 9 nine times faster then light or what?? or is warp a totally different mesurment of speed
    I dunno what to put in here now..

There is actually a fairely well defined scale for Warp drive. However, the scale is different between the time of the original series and the time of the later ones (including ENT).

For TOS, your speed is the cube of your warp factor. ie. Warp 2 = 8 times speed of light.

For TNG and onward, it's a little more complicated, but suffice it to say, the warp factors denote higher speeds. There's a few warp speed calculators online:

http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/script_warpcalc.html

Still, they're no match for Hyperdrives.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      There is actually a fairely well defined scale for Warp drive. However, the scale is different between the time of the original series and the time of the later ones (including ENT).

For TOS, your speed is the cube of your warp factor. ie. Warp 2 = 8 times speed of light.

For TNG and onward, it's a little more complicated, but suffice it to say, the warp factors denote higher speeds. There's a few warp speed calculators online:

http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/script_warpcalc.html

Still, they're no match for Hyperdrives.
      Actually hyperdrive is easily worked out.......beyotch and thanks!!
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Wikipedia has a pretty solid entry on this as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_speed#Warp_velocities
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

How does Hyperdrive compare with Warp? I don't know anything about Hyperdrive...

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
          Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
          Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

I've always wondered about that myself. Are there any real figures for the speed of Stargate Hyperdrives? surely it isn't just 0 to Pegasus Galaxy in 3 Days? (Using the magical Asgard engine) Come on, I want some real numbers please.
            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Well that might be a bit difficult to figure out, since they've never specified which Pegasus galaxy Atlantis takes place in

There are two, the Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy and the Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

One thing is plainly obvious however: hyperdrives are waaaaaay faster than warp drive.

Even if we don't know how far Peg. is away, it's still another galaxy. In Trek, no ship has ever went to another galaxy, at warp, in ordinary circumstances.

Comment

There was that one time with the Enterprise. And that person who you think I know the name of, you know, the Traveller, he was kinda ascendedlike.

Alright, that website posted by PG15 has led to the biggest plot hole in the Star Trek saga. It should have taken Voyager only 16 years to get back to Earth. IIRC, Voyager's max warp factor was 9.79

Well, according to this.

http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I did say "under normal circumstances"

And since most Starfleet ships (by which I mean all of them) can't maintain max warp for more than a few hours before being torn apart, Voyager would've taken significantly longer to get home than just 16 years (again, under normal circumstances ). Not to mention all of the exploratory stuff they got into every other week.

Comment

In the first episode they estimated it's take 60 years to get home. In the last episode it was 16 years ontop of the 7 thye had already travelled and they took advantage of every opportunity to go faster.
                      sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
                      "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
                      My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Spacegirlnz View Post
                        In the first episode they estimated it's take 60 years to get home. In the last episode it was 16 years ontop of the 7 thye had already travelled and they took advantage of every opportunity to go faster.
                        Not every oppurtunity. They could have modified Voyager to go warp 10, sure they would have all turned into lizards, but they could have been turned back.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

No, I mean after the 7 years we saw. That's what old Janeway said. And I think she said they found a wormhole too. Yeah...
                          sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
                          "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
                          My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                            There was that one time with the Enterprise. And that person who you think I know the name of, you know, the Traveller, he was kinda ascendedlike.

Alright, that website posted by PG15 has led to the biggest plot hole in the Star Trek saga. It should have taken Voyager only 16 years to get back to Earth. IIRC, Voyager's max warp factor was 9.79

Well, according to this.

I thought Voyager's maximum sustainable warp factor was 9.975. Cause I remember in the pilot the Betazoid, forgotten her name. on the shuttle went through the specs for Voyager. If that's true, with the TNG warp factor version it would take only just over 5 years.
                            Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                            Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

You guys seen to be forgetting that voyager didn't/ couldn't plot a course direct to earth as it would involve crossing the galactic core where i believe there is a massive black hole.

That site obviously calculates travel time based on a direct straight line and thus cannot be that helpful when the course has to go around a area of space.
                              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Working...
                              X