Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

This thread is exactly what it says on the tin.

Madeleine

I'm going to reserve judgement until after "Day One", I wasnt hugely impressed, some people were afraid that they might have pushed the bar, and theres already signs that they might have done that (I mean realism is one thing, but theres only so many f***'s you can include in a script before it gets to the stage. Writing was moderate, some bits were great, Jack asking the murder victim what he saw for instance, while other bits werent quite so good, such as the bar scene, which wasnt overly convincing.

Great to see Jack again, and to learn a little about Torchwood. So theres 4, with London gone (not only good to have it mentioned, but we now know the time frame of the series, and that Jack knows what the Cybermen were), another missing, and I didnt hear what Jack said about Torchwood 3 (or was it 2?), maybe some sort of foreshadowing of a future story, either in this or Doctor Who?

Acting varied, Toshiko was good, Owen wasn't bad, not much on Ianto, Jack was great, Gwen was the weak link, I felt. Special mention has to go to Susie, and I didnt bloody see that coming! Russell T. Davies is fantastic at keeping secrets!

Jack's immortality, I would guess is a side effect of being ressurected by the heart of the TARDIS, so I guess he has some sort of connection to it? Should be interesting when he meets the Doctor again, though it takes away a little of the danger from the series, if you know the lead is gonna be fine no matter what.

Another thing, something about "globe research" anything to do with the Globe Theate Spoilers for Doctor Who
    Spoiler:
    the upcoming shakespeare ep? Is Jack looking for the Doctor?

Little details are always good, The Doctor's hand in a jar for instance, and the mentioning of a "transdimensional Chamelion Circuit.

Overall, it'd only be about a 7/10, but like I said, not a final judgement just yet, and it was a 6 until the Susie bit, so that might be the better one to go by...

6/10
    Last edited by The Signal; 22 October 2006, 01:57 PM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Well, from clips I saw... (Tv downstairs, Me upstairs) it seemed ok

I like the pteradctyl Some of the acting seemed forced at times, but the first ep is always a bit...rocky i like so far
      Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

I only watched the first one, what a disappointment

No mention of how Jack got back to Earth,

The set came from DS9 (The wheely door thing)

And Purlease the instant sexual attraction spray, gimme a break.

The whole thing felt like it was written by a gang of teenage boys who'd seen too much Buffy.

I was really diappointed, not even the prospect of drooling over Capt Jack can make me watch next week

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
          No mention of how Jack got back to Earth
          They did say that they wouldnt explain it as early as last year when the show was first announced.
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

Well I liked it, though what was up with the pterodactyl?

I liked the bit with the Doctor's hand, but I can't help wondering what Jack thinks he can do with it.

Comment

"Day One" - Not great, they pushed the bar again and its getting tired already, the "came ad went" and "feeling a bit of a..." lines were truely cringeworthy, we get it, your post watershed!

Other than that, some decent character moments for Gwen and Jack, Owen may just be comic relief in all this, Toshiko didnt really do much, and why is Ianto even there, do we need a regular receptionist?

Jack's obsession over the Doctor's hand, and the secrecy about his past along with his prevention of Gwen getting too attatched makes for an interesting contrast.

Finally, if RTD makes Gwen and Jack into a ship I may scream! Jack's not the sort of guy to get tied down with any one person, tied up with several people maybe.... (sorry, couldnt help that )

Overall, despite decent acting and core story, the pushing of the watershed bar, and the tongue in cheek gags sets this back to another

6/10
              Last edited by The Signal; 22 October 2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal
                5 Jack's not the sort of guy to get tied down with any one person, tied up with several people maybe.... (sorry, couldnt help that )
                And yet you mock the came and went line

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                  Well I liked it, though what was up with the pterodactyl?

I liked the bit with the Doctor's hand, but I can't help wondering what Jack thinks he can do with it.
                  Obviously the pterodactyl came hrough the Rift in Cardiff by mistake. Its a Rift in space and time, no-one ever said it was locked on a specific time period. It must have shifted to the dinosaur years at one point while the pterodactyl was flying.

Im guessing Jack thinks that if he keeps hold of The Doctors hand that he will eventually come back for it. He obviously never knew that The Doctor could regenerate body parts during his regeneration cycle.

Im also going to use the Rift as an excuse as to how Jack wound up back in 21st century Cardiff.

Overall, both off tonights episodes get an 8/10 from me. Did anyone else think that the army sqruadron investigating the meteor site might have been U.N.I.T? Im wondering because they didnt seem surprised when Torchwood showed up.
                  Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                    And yet you mock the came and went line
                    I heard Boy George use it once to discribe Culture Club's drummer Jon Something, bitter or what

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Originally posted by Billz View Post

Overall, both off tonights episodes get an 8/10 from me. Did anyone else think that the army sqruadron investigating the meteor site might have been U.N.I.T? Im wondering because they didnt seem surprised when Torchwood showed up.
                      YES! I was PRAYING that they were UNIT. I for one am very fond of the old UNIT guys and I can get that torchwood are more important, but I at least want to see a UNIT presence, and that would have been perfect. However, judging by beret and cap badge (which I DIDNT get a good look at, damn it...) I'm GUESSING that they're Royal Corps of Signals... But hey.

I'm liking the darker side to things. The F*** in the first five minutes made me role my eyes. It seemed like it was there to be noticed.
                      Love seeing the police deal with things, love seeing the fact that people DO die and the consequences of that. The two eps today kept making me shout and or gasp. Bloody unusual for TV to make me do that.

As for "Day One" not impressed by the whole sex alien thing being done THIS early on in the series, but I can overlook that due to superb writing. RTD would have made it an object of pure lust, an ep that simply got people going. But the guy who wrote this, made me at least, shocked, horrified and feeling REALLY sorry for the poor girl. Great drama. In my eyes.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Honestly? I wasn't impressed. Hubby and I kept looking at each other and saying, "This is a bit crap, isn't it?" It definitely felt like it was trying too hard - practically screaming "Hey look, we're the Dr Who universe but we're darker/sexier/more dangerous! Look, we have
                        Spoiler:
                        people shagging in toilets, real swearwords and lesbian snogging!"

It was all just a wee bit "Oh puh-lease!"

A lot of the acting was not great and the storylines didn't really pull me in, The humour seemed forced and all in all... it was just *meh*.

Oh and did anyone else notice the glaring plothole?
                        Spoiler:
                        If every sodding police officer (including Gwen's ex-partner) seems to know to let any old stranger wander onto a crime scene as long as they say the magic word "Torchwood", how come Gwen had never heard of Torchwood?!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Wow, and here I was being all hyped up and impressed and severely annoyed that I didn't realize there were TWO eps and will have to wait that much longer to see ep 2. *shrug*

I think it was a lot better than Rose was, although I haven't really had time to sit down and think out the problems. There's a high degree of silliness to it all, but I'm used to that from Doctor Who and wouldn't expect anything less of Torchwood.

As for Jack being immortal, I LOVE that twist (although shouldn't the cameras have caught that whole scene?) and I don't see how it detracts from any sense of danger. Most shows naturally protect the leads from death, anyway (and in much more convoluted and varying ways). At least with Torchwood it's up front and seems (to me) to be a believeable reason.

Besides, I don't recall anyone saying, "Oh, what a ripoff! If the Doctor dies, he'll just regenerate!" Same kinda "get out of death free" card working here, only with a different set of rules. *shrug*

I love the show so far. I hope it thrives and lasts a few seasons, at least. Captain Jack on his own show. Fantastic!

Comment

Torchwood premiered? Gee, guess I missed it.....I'll have to try and catch it. Always looking for good TV.......
                            On fighting:
                            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida View Post
                              Torchwood premiered? Gee, guess I missed it.....I'll have to try and catch it. Always looking for good TV.......
                              It gets repeated on BBC2 on Wednesday at 9pm. There have obviously been alot of mixed feelings so far so it would be cool to hear your feedback after you watch it.
                              Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Working...
                              X