Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billz View Post
    It gets repeated on BBC2 on Wednesday at 9pm. There have obviously been alot of mixed feelings so far so it would be cool to hear your feedback after you watch it.
    Wednesday at 9pm! But that clashes with new Season 3 Atlantis on Sky 1!
    sigpic

Comment

Episode One Was ok, the whole acting and swearing actually came as a bit of a shock after setling in to watch then realising such words begining with "T" and that's not torchwood, i almost forgot it was adult TV, the acting was a little better than Dr Who and therefore the realism i guess was there as a result, it was over the top to make a series thats more sexy, violent, a rugged than before, I'm still not covinced yet, but you know what happens to many shows like that, they sometimes end up as hit shows.......and some flop horribly.
      I'll post about episode two later
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Taken together, I found lots of things to like in the first two episodes of Torchwood, and if it did seem as though they were just doing a few things because they could, well hopefully they've got that out of their system after Day One, which came a little close to the point of farce.

I liked the Welshness; I liked the humour (mostly); and I liked the fact that most of Torchwood are scum. I liked Ianto a lot (Would you be wanting me to do any attacking, sir?).

Honestly, I barely noticed the swearing. It's nothing you wouldn't hear if you stood behind a perception filter on the playground of a middle school (or in some staffrooms).

Hmm. Someone asked about Jack's revivification appearing on the cameras, but I noticed that the base of the monument doesn't seem to show up on the screens. It would be easier to assume that she missed or something.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I've only watched the first ep as I have to wait and wait for the second one.

I LOVED this!

As a first ep it was so much better then I expected, I was thinking it would be nothing but explanation and well sure it was but it also had a little twist in the tail, not just one but two. (Oh he wants to see a Doctor )

Jack IS back! John was great, I could never buy Jack as distant or a loner, not really, so I am glad they are going with him needing to have people around him, people he can trust. Also he plays so well with others, all kinds of others.

Gwen, was a surprise, I like her, I don't normally like the females in these things, they all seem so unrealistic but Gwen seems to be normal. I didn't know how much I liked the Welsh accent until she started talking...love it!

Random things:
          The mentioning of the Chameleon circuit! (TARDIS WAS HERE!)
          MPreg! *sorry but I loved that*
          The drug fest... I didn't like either of them. Not Jack's little cocktail for Gwen and definitely not the other in the little spray bottle... Oh sure it is all fun and games till someone gets hurt.
          The swearing! Well I have to ask what swearing? This is what *some* people were getting their knickers in a knot over? *shrugs*
          The only thing I was upset about was the BIG watermark logo on the middle of Jack's head every time they did a close up! What is wrong with BBC3! That has to go. Why spend all this money on HD then do that!

Overall, I seriously did love this. I was not disappointed, I was actually more disappointed by "Rose" when it screened. Maybe I expected more form Doctor Who; I don't know, but I really loved this as an opener, as an introduction episode. We do get some intel on the rift, they do at least pay lip service to Army of Ghosts/Doomsday and they kind of mention Torchwood's other selves (Torchwood 4????).

I don't rate these things but well, much better then I expected.

Fave line: "I show you something fantastic, you find fault!"

.... still waiting for the next eppy.

Comment

I loved the first episode - it was all I was expecting from the show and more. However, the second one was a bit more of a let down. I think some of the sex could have been toned down a bit and the effect would still have been the same (or even greater due to "implication effect"). Anyways, I'll have to watch next week's episode to make up my mind.

Comment

Well, on the whole I did enjoy these two, but I'm hoping that things improve a little in some respects in the coming weeks.

What I liked:

The plots on both eps were entertaining - though hardly original. EC was basically MIB with the names changed and, for that reason, I did groan when we got to the amnesia pill. And how many times have we seen the 'horny alien rampages through Earth on a sexual binge' plot? But I enjoyed them all the same and didn't hold that against them.

*Loved* the new characters. All but Owen, who so far leaves me cold. But he may grow on me.

Also deeply intrigued by this severed hand that Jack seems so desperately fond of. <g>

Cardiff looked enchanting as ever and it was a nice change to hear those Welsh accents. But do we have to have so many shots of the Millenium Center? Please, enough already. I'll accept that it's a stunning building, but Cardiff surely has more to offer than just that. Some variety in the locations would be nice.

Oh and nice little tingle of ship between Gwen and Jack. Looking forward to seeing where that heads.

What I didn't like:

Well, I did feel that RTD was trying way too hard to let us know this was an 'adult' show. The cussing, the off colour jokes, the lesbian makeout, gay kiss and the blatant and heavy-handed sexual themes and imagery in DO all just seemed forced to me. Don't get me wrong - such things neither offend nor bother me, usually. But I do like to get the impression they are there for a reason. I never felt that any of these elements advanced the plots or told us anything about the characters. I just had this image of RTD gleefully rubbing his hands and anticipating the free publicity and the tabloid headlines: "Dr Who Spinoff Lesbo Snog Shocks Granny In Brighton!". Shock! Horror! Well...no. Just irritation and boredom from this viewer. So I'm hoping to see less of this stuff in forthcoming eps.

To be honest, it smacked of the recent trend - mostly in US shows - of trying to cram in as much steam and controversial material into your premiere eps as you can get, in an attempt to snag that teen male demo. Which just annoy me generally, anyway.

But, on the whole, these were fun and I'm looking forward to next week. I never expect too much from pilot eps, given how much time they have to spend on introducing us to new characters, locations, situations etc.

BTW...I may have missed something and am going to have to watch again to listen more carefully, but Suzie's conversation with Gwen and her death confused me entirely. I have no idea what she was up to, who she was working for or what her motives were. I garner that she had betrayed Torchwood in some sense and was now fleeing for her life before the rest of the team found out. Okay. Get that. So..um...why then did she pause in her fleeing to engage Gwen and tell her all of this? What did she gain by that? What was her purpose? It made no sense to me if she was intending to vanish into the night and never be heard of again. And to do it right out in the open, in front of the Torchwood building - which she *knew* was surveilled at all times and that they could be seen by the team....well, it made no logical sense to me at all. But, maybe, all will become clear on a second viewing. Who knows?

ETA: Okay, now I've read the rest of the comments:

I liked Ianto a lot (Would you be wanting me to do any attacking, sir?).
              That was my favourite line, I think, and the moment I fell in love with Ianto. <g> I think it also gives an indication that he's a lot more than just a receptionist.

And, I see that I've missed something along the way (in Dr. Who?). As everyone seems to know that the severed hand belongs to the Doctor. When did this happen? I need details, people!

Albion
              Last edited by Albion; 23 October 2006, 03:29 AM.
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                I'm going to reserve judgement until after "Day One", I wasnt hugely impressed...
                Can't say I was overly impressed either, I thought they crossed the line a couple of times, but thats just me. Maybe it was because I spent the first 15 minutes of it locked outside the house, but I dont think seeing the very beginning would have made that much of a difference. There were moments when I was like 'get on with it' and I wasn't overly keen on the second ep. I thought filming in a girls toilet (as in CCTV) was illegal!
                Just thought it was all a bit naff, but then i was very tired and cold from a long day at work so maybe the next episode will come across better. Will reserve judgment until then.

'All of this has happened before
                And all of this will happen again
                So say we all.'

Comment

Originally posted by Othere View Post
                  Just thought it was all a bit naff
                  Darn...that was the word I was going to use, but you got there first!!

I think this show is trying much too hard to be super-cool, sexy and 'X-filesy'. Obviously they're making the point that this show is for 'grown-ups', what with the swearing, sex and gory bits! Trouble is, I don't feel it was done very well and came across as...well...naff!! Dr Who does have a certain charm to it that keeps me watching....I didn't get that feeling with Torchwood I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                    Oh and nice little tingle of ship between Gwen and Jack. Looking forward to seeing where that heads.
                    Oh God I hope not. If RTD 'ship's Gwen and Jack to appease the American audience then he needs a smacking, it will NEVER work Jack's too used to bed hopping, now a threesome with Gwen and her boyfriend I can see him doing, that would shock the Granny's in Brighton

Comment

Im looking forward to next week, when its halfway through THEN i will judge what ive seen so far.
                      Im expecaily looking forward to "CyberWoman" which is Ep. 4
                      Hola

Hello

Comment

Second eppy.

I liked it, not in love with it...

The plot was pretty threadbare, and although I actually laughed at the masturbation scene I think maybe they could have not gone there at all... I don't know sometimes less is more. They may just still be trying to prove a point, a silly useless point....

I didn't connect with the female victim, that was a pity as I think it may have been more powerful if I could have related to her more, but these shows rarely have that kind of time anyway.

Was it just me or was that hand so The Doctors! Jack cradling The Hand! Aw... and Eew! LOL! What is Jack thinking keeping that * thing*

Jack seemed a little off in this episode, not sure if it is because they want to make him different from how he was in Doctor Who or whether it was just bad scripting, also John needs to learn how to hold a gun, I wasn't buying it, hopefully he gets better in those scenes as time goes on.

Overall, a good episode but not as good as the opener there is some room for improvement.

Oh and can someone please slap Owen! NOW!

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                          Cardiff looked enchanting as ever and it was a nice change to hear those Welsh accents. But do we have to have so many shots of the Millenium Center? Please, enough already. I'll accept that it's a stunning building, but Cardiff surely has more to offer than just that. Some variety in the locations would be nice.
                          They showed an arty aerial view of my Office Building! I'm still not sure whether I'm happy about being reminded that I had to get up and go to work in the morning...

With a bit of luck, now we've established where Torchwood is and all that stuff, locations might go a bit wider. Certainly there were plenty of night-shots in the city centre, though daytime ones had to be in less busy areas. I can see the 'hospital car park' where Gwen vroomed off in the cop car from my office window, for example. Oh, how sad I am...

Right. Name dropping over.

I thought it was OK in parts - a bit of a curate's egg. Needless to say it was hampered by the need to introduce the characters and set the scene; so hopefully things will get going more up to speed next week. Certainly Russell T was determined to set the 'this is not a kiddie prog' tone from the outset - lots of gratuitous effing and blinding, buckets of blood and a bit of rumpy pumpy in a club toilet (oh look - irresistible pheromones again!), not to mention that randy bouncer; don't you know you'll go blind, mate? It had its fair share of naffness, which comes from trying to establish the plot from scratch, I guess. Nice that they kept references to the Doctor largely in the background with only a few references where necessary. Maybe not something to write home about - but enough to make me go back and have another look next week.

Fascinating that Jack can't die. He seems to have become a kind of Whovian equivalent of Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged. No wonder he's so attached to a disembodied hand - which is indeed the Doctor's. It's the one that got chopped off last Christmas.

By the way, Russell T. No ship. None. At All. Don't even go there.

And Owen? Grow up, you plonker. Alien 'make me attractive' spray? Come on!
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh come on...yeah I know the 'make me attractive' spray isn't exactly original(who remembers Red Dwarf's sexual magnetism virus) but I can't think of any single guy that wouldn't have been grinning...what made me give Owen the thumbs down was his using it to rip couples apart!

In the meantime...decent start though it leaves a ton of unanswered questions.

1. I'm not sure whether to be annoyed at the writers assuming that no viewer's had dealings with Jack before or not. I suppose there are some that wouldn't touch regular Who with a bargepole though and the idea could certainly operate in it's own universe.

2. Gwen, you're dealing with a guy who is clearly familiar with alien/advanced tech, certainly acts like "21st century Earth" isn't home and the only previous reference you've been able to find for him is from 1941 when he clearly isn't that old! Why can't you work out that he's a time traveller?

3. On the other hand I did like that Gwen had found her niche as Jane Average.

4. Liked the subtle references to the Doctor.

5. Didn't like the fact that I only feel I know Jack, Gwen and Owen so far!

Overall, decent but not spectacular. Will check it out next week.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
                              By the way, Russell T. No ship. None. At All. Don't even go there.
                              Agreed.

If there is going to be ANY shipping whatsoever, it must be of the Jack/Doctor variety.

That is all.

Stars with gates are cool...
                              "Somewhere, somebody's blog just blew up."

Comment

Originally posted by Albion View Post
                                And, I see that I've missed something along the way (in Dr. Who?). As everyone seems to know that the severed hand belongs to the Doctor. When did this happen? I need details, people!
                                Details, you say? Okay? In The Christmas Invasion (the first full ep starring David Tennant), the Doctor has a swordfight with the leader of the Sycorax (big ugly aliens) on top of the alien ship hovering above London. The Sycorax nearly wins when he knocks the Doctor down and chops off his sword hand! Sword and hand fall over the edge of the ship and disappear from view (I'd hate to have been the unlucky person that the sword landed on! )

Luckily for the doctor - and unluckily for the Sycorax - he was still within the first 24 (or was it 48?) hours of his regeneration cycle so he had just enough residual energy left to grow a brand new hand! With which he proceed to whup said Sycorax's ass!

That enough detail for you?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X