Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that Owen just made the guy attracted to him and made a run for it whilst the couple were fighting over him, but yes he just screwed up their relationship totally.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
      does this mean Owen swings both ways
      Spoiler:
      according to RTD, they all have same sex encounters over the course of the series, he claims he wants to try and challenge peoples perceptions of sexuality
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Oh for God's sake.

I have no problem with homosexuality, heterosexuality or bisexuality in the show. But giving EVERYONE a homosexual encounter? PLEASE! There ARE people who go through life not having those. There are five in the team. Four if we discount omnisexual Jack. Four people. Statistics say that 1 in 3 people are gay. Statistics also say only 15% of the population are TOTALLY straight. In otherwords, with the remaining four people, it would only be believable to have 1 gay person. 2 bisexuals and 1 straight person. Levels of bisexuality can obviously vary. But statistically there should be at least ONE absolutely straight person in the group.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

With RTD and John Barrowman involved things will be as straight as a corkscrew, I know RTD is famous for his views on sexuality Homo, Hetro, Bi or whatever else but does he have to ram it down out throats at EVERY opportunity

Comment

With RTD and John Barrowman involved things will be as straight as a corkscrew, I know RTD is famous for his views on sexuality Homo, Hetro, Bi or whatever else but does he have to ram it down out throats at EVERY opportunity
            Well there is always the OFF switch if it is all just too much for you. I don't see it as ramming anything down anyone's throats. Like I said off switch.

Comment

Hopefully they'll get it out of their system early on and we can settle down to more "regular" material. Jest because you CAN have sex (of any flavor) in every ep doesn't mean you should.

Day One was pushing the limits a bit although I still think there's some good potential here. I don't like Owen at all. I'm not sure if we're supposed to. There tends to be one jerk in every group and in Torchwood it's definitely Owen. There's also usually an ep at some point to "redeem" the jerk, although after using an alien date rape drug, I don't know how redeemed he can ever really be.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                There's also usually an ep at some point to "redeem" the jerk, although after using an alien date rape drug, I don't know how redeemed he can ever really be.
                I was thinking that about the redeeming episode but indeed how do you redeem that kind of behaviour? I am glad that at least it appears no one else knows exactly what he got up to, to know it and ignore it would add something to the show I don't need.

Comment

What do you make of Jack questioning Murder Victim Guy about what he saw after death? Seemed like more than just a random question, but Jack has died, too. Is he seeking confirmation of something or is he seeing if anyone else saw something? Or saw something different? Or is he obsessed because he can't die?

Comment

What do you make of Jack questioning Murder Victim Guy about what he saw after death? Seemed like more than just a random question, but Jack has died, too. Is he seeking confirmation of something or is he seeing if anyone else saw something? Or saw something different? Or is he obsessed because he can't die?
                    I think he saw nothing. And is darker for it. I think he wants to know that it was only because he didnt die properly that he saw nothing.

My God my heart actually wrenched when that guy said there was nothing and began to panic. That was a really intense scene/

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Debate is good, serious debate is better. I know RTD like to court contraversy but that was going a little too far, especially with 'The Boyfriend' so does this mean Owen swings both ways and if that's the case shouldn't there be UST between him and Capt Jack instead of Jack and Gwen. Mind you Owen looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp
                      Oh agreed, debate is good and exercises the grey matter. I'm just so tired of going round in circles.

As for RTD's attempt at challenging peoples perception of sexuality, sexuality is a very personal thing and what he may believe is challenging it, others will find it bears no relationship at all to them (homo, hetero or bi).

Comment

Yeah, this new version of Jack has a whole new darkness/depth to him. Makes me love him even more.

Comment

I enjoyed both the episodes. Apart from Owen the characters are all likeable. I just hope that the whole overly sexual element dies down now. Two episodes in and two same-sex kisses. I don't have a problem with homosexuality, but neither one of those scenes really added anything to the story. They just seemed to be there to say ''look at us! we're an cutting edge adult show who's not afraid to do anything!''

I like how Jack has a sort of mini-obsession with tracking down the Doctor again (even though he wont recognise him) and it could make for some interesting near-crossovers in the future (when they deal with the aftermath of events hes caused). In addition to actual crossovers, of course.

Comment

Yeah, this new version of Jack has a whole new darkness/depth to him. Makes me love him even more.
                            I haven't managed to put my finger on what is so unsettling about this Jack. There is something there, I'm just not sure what. Being abandoned by The Doctor and Rose must have hit him hard, not to mention the whole dying thing.
                            Originally posted by Jonzey
                            I like how Jack has a sort of mini-obsession with tracking down the Doctor again (even though he wont recognise him) and it could make for some interesting near-crossovers in the future (when they deal with the aftermath of events hes caused). In addition to actual crossovers, of course.
                            I think he may know what this Doctor looks like, if he knows about the Battle; then he probably knew the Doctor was back, Torchwood did obtain visual footage of the T.A.R.D.I.S, not to mention taking the T.A.R.D.I.S away... they (Torchwood branches) probably communicate with each other.

I want to know what he is doing with The Doctor's hand *if it is his hand* it is very strange behaviour; keeping a severed hand. Maybe he just needs to have something to remind him that The Doctor existed, that Rose existed... it is either something very deep or something very silly (The Brain of Morbius). Maybe he thinks The Doctor got sucked into the void with Rose.

And the way he reacted....

"Put it down! That's worthless to anyone but me!"

What is that about? I hope he isn't thinking he can grow a new Doctor from just his hand. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                              Well there is always the OFF switch if it is all just too much for you. I don't see it as ramming anything down anyone's throats. Like I said off switch.
                              Used it to great effect at 9.50 on sunday night thankyouverymuch

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                                Has it occured to anyone else.... how truely wrong the "make me attractive" spray is.

Maybe this is me having no sense of fun...

But I call that rape. If they have sex I mean. Basically, how is that any different from date rape pills? The guy was altering the woman's perception using a mind altering drug in order to have sex with her. By standard definitions, that is rape. Does anyone else see that?
                                I don't think you're alone, and I honestly don't think - and I hope this is the case - that we were ever supposed to think of Owen as anything but a nasty little sleaze. Given in general how he's behaved, they seem to be pitching him as the one who presents the unpleasant ideas so you don't have to aggressively dislike the rest of the team (even if he has yet to receive the slapping he so richly deserves).
                                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                                X