Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That ep was perhaps the first TW ep that was fun.

Madeleine

Comment

I think there have been fun eps in the past, but that was the first one where the fun sat happily alongside some serious plot-setting-up for the series and finally

*praise be*

some background on Jack.

As for Owen being next in the pecking order: since when did "promotion" depend on dead man's shoes? It looked to me as though Gwen just took over and was good at it. And let's face it, Ianto and Tosh couldn't lead to save their lives (although wasn't Ianto fab last night?) Owen is too much of a "look out for number one" to lead anything - although I guess if gwen hadn't been there he would have.

Ianto - yes oh yes. Finally. And that little "yes, sir" just to let Jack know how he felt.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I couldn't be happier. This episode was great. Lots of humour, violence, kissing and scifi! Ooh and James, although he will always be Spike to me, it was still a pretty good performance, I mean I didn't cringe or anything so that was a good start.

Overall it was entertaining in a way that last series episodes weren't (with the exception of Random Shoes & Capt Jack Harkness *imho*).

I think personally it was the humour they added to the script and the sense of them working together that made it a great episode. When they all agreed it was more fun when Jack was around it just made me smile, they missed him.

Now what is this thing about Ianto and Jack on a date they have to show that in the next episode.

Comment

Woo! Captain John comes back!

Quite possibly the best episode so far, with the possible exception of the season one finale. It was a lot of fun, and had some great dramatic scenes. And a bit of backstory for Jack. (I'm going with Gray being the man who raised Jack, or his mentor or something like that.)

I actually quite liked all of the (non-Jack) characters, too, unlike most of last season. They seemed much better rounded - hell, maybe Jack's disappearance was actually good for them, forcing them to be responsible.

I liked that there was conflict (team v Jack), but it was the right kind of conflict, unlike last season where they basically all hated each other.

And, as my earlier exclamation suggests, James Marsters was great as Captain John. "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"
          Last edited by Naonak; 17 January 2008, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Loved it! James Masters was great. I can´t wait for him to come back.
            But all the characters finally were normal, not some "we have big guns so we are action heroes". Owen was a doctor again, Tosh a scientist...and they were working as a great team. It looks like they started some kind of story-arc like in Doctor, I like it.

The beginning with the old lady was awesome
            And lines as "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi" made it look different than in S1. More relaxed and funny but still kept its darkness. The waiting was worth it.

Fangirl squeee: GO, IANTO, GO

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Watched it this afternoon (God bless the BBC iPlayer!) when I got home from work.

EXCELLENT STUFF!!!

Loved the scene where Capt. John has to take off all his weapons, the look on his face is priceless.

Roll on next week...
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

KKBB was a hoot! Fabulous fun nearly all the way through. Though in some ways it seems like a slightly different show with everyone getting along well - except Jack, who will have to work his way back into the circle somewhat. Naked wrestling, indeed. He's definitely more at ease with himself, and his life.

I liked the banter, innuendo, one-liners, the Star Wars quote in particular, it all was in great fun. I liked the office/subtext scene with Jack and Ianto. Jack's expression after Ianto confirmed that it was a 'yes' was perfect Jack! Loved Captain John, too - I'm glad we'll get to see more of him.

I'm probably the only one who also liked the Jack/Gwen scene. It played nicely with her once again being the one person he ends up confiding in. There definitely was UST going on in that scene, big time. He seemed quite jealous. I saw an interview with Eve Myles which mentioned that he's a constant temptation for her this series, and that there is subtext there, too. I want to see Jack with everyone, I guess, and that's why I just loved this episode so much.

I wish there had been more Tosh and more Owen. But you can't have everything I guess. And Ianto and the stopwatch! So perfectly gleeful! And he got to go and save Gwen, Tosh and Owen. Good teaboy!

All in all, a perfect opening to the series. Bring on next week. The scenes for the rest of the series look like so much fun. I think we're in for a treat!
                Reveling in my multi-shipper happy place...and drooling over Sheppard.

My SG-1 Fanfic (Atlantis fic coming soon)

Comment

I say we start a campaign to give the little old lady we saw at the start of the ep another guest appearance.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing - "Bloody Torchwood..."
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

It was funny, but just how public is Torchwood, now? Apparently, random old ladies recognize them easily, either by face or by the fact they were looking for a humanoid fish. That's not exactly a common event for secret organizations.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                      It was funny, but just how public is Torchwood, now? Apparently, random old ladies recognize them easily, either by face or by the fact they were looking for a humanoid fish. That's not exactly a common event for secret organizations.
                      Or possibly the fact that the've got TORCHWOOD written in block letters on the side of the SUV...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        Or possibly the fact that the've got TORCHWOOD written in block letters on the side of the SUV...
                        Apparently, I'm the least observant individual in the history of mankind. Somehow I've managed to go all this time without noticing that.

Still, it's not exactly good practice for a "secret" organization.
                        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                          I say we start a campaign to give the little old lady we saw at the start of the ep another guest appearance.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing - "Bloody Torchwood..."
                          perhaps at the opening scene of next season we can have a gian gelatanous blob go bye her on a push bike.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

More relaxed, more fun, more cohesion in the team, a better sense of direction and a much more engaging story... let's hope this stuff lasts through the season.

I think Jack has brought Torchwood out of the closet, at least in the public eye sense- he's made them a known name, although knowing the name and knowing what they do aren't necessarily the same thing. "Investigating weird ****" is probably as close as anyone gets to the truth, but again, understanding just what that weird **** is is a whole different ballgame.

Loved the ep. Can't wait for more. And now we have our arc (I assume that's what it is) to get us through the season: Who/What is Gray?

Comment

I was pleasantly suprised by this episode, I had watched the last series last year and it was so so, it was ok last year but the characters hated each other, the sci fi aspect was a bit not to my liking.

But this new series seems to have settled down, maybe I just grew used to it, the time agents ideas came into play, the Rift that was set up in the last series seemed to fit in well and the characters played off each other well enough, as long as I don't get sex crazed alien females, and pathetic shock tactics, then i'm fine,

The episode played well, kept me interested and ended well, it was a good start, better so far than the last series I'd say
                              sigpic
                              In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                                Apparently, I'm the least observant individual in the history of mankind. Somehow I've managed to go all this time without noticing that.

Still, it's not exactly good practice for a "secret" organization.
                                they're the most well known secret organizaton.

It's Complicated Butterflies and Hurricanes

Comment

Working...
                                X