Page 5 of 97 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast

Default Re: Torchwood Episode Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualCLD View Post
    Right after Jack explains the perception filter, am I the only one who shouted "Somebody Elses Problem Field" (in my head at least)? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought that.
    Me. Maybe it is a nod to the great Douglas Adams, as he used to write for Dr Who

Right after Jack explains the perception filter, am I the only one who shouted "Somebody Elses Problem Field" (in my head at least)? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought that.
    Yes! I was sat there thinking about the NIMBY effect (Not In My Back Yard)!

I don't know if this has already been brought up in this thread yet, but is there anyone else who cant stand Gwen's GAPING HOLE between her front two teeth?

It's driving me batty.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eeper/sig2.jpg

Stars with gates are cool...
    "Somewhere, somebody's blog just blew up."

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
    As Shep'sSocks has kindly demonstrated for us (you walked to the Bay? Why not use the number 6 bendy bus like unfit, lazy Unases do? ), Torchwood would only be central to everything if you wanted to eat in a different restaurant every night for a month and live in an incredibly expensive yuppie flat with walls thinner than a sheet of loo roll (or you happen to be an Assembly Member). The City is about two or three miles north of The Bay.
    I was with a local who said, "It's not far to the bay. Let's walk!" I didn't mind the walkies bit but could have done without the creepy high rises. On the way back I made her walk past the yuppy high rises instead. Yes, we walked back.

What I'd like to see is a shot of the house on Cowbridge Road East that Ivor Novello was born in. Used to pass it on the bus on the way to my friend's house. That would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mgehman View Post
    Just a thought. Suzie is credited in imdb as being in most of the episodes. I know it is not the most reliable source, but will she be back?
    No, she's on the Torchwood website too, and was credited as a regular in the credits (I think) it was all to catch us off guard. Joss Whedon did it for Buffy a couple of times too, it never ceases to shock me
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

I, alas, have to admit that I didn't; but, now that you mention it - it's a very good point. I like it!

Suzie also got a full profile in the Radio Times's pre-series hype. It'll be interesting to see whether she returns or whether this was indeed a 'shock exit' thing.

She was on the end-of-episode credits for Day One as well.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet View Post
    That might have been a contractual thing, or they were allowed to so they didn't have to redo the credits. (Even though that would take them a few secs >.>).

This is slightly off topic but I have a question for Cardiff residents/people who have been there/going there etc. I was wondering if any of you had pictures you wouldn't mind sharing/giving? I'd give the entire discription of how this is ontopic, but, I don't want to clog up the thread with promo/explination. *L*
    "Scientists say juggling is good for the brain....Or...was that...Jelllll-o?

I thought those credits were joint ones used, Im sure I saw cast lists headed by the episode titles
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Major General

Watching it now, tacky as hell but thats what makes the universe funny I suppose!

Well, it was mjuch better than I enticipated.

I agree it had its eye-rolling moments, especially the second episode (yes, oh pulease indeed) - but let's admit it, the "sex-crazed alien", while always a bad idea, could have been so much worse!

They got me intrguied with the Doctor's hand. Maybe Jack's been lying? Maybe this is the key for his immortality?

Ausing they decided to locate this on Cardiff this time.

I don't buy the excuse for people not believing what happened with the Cybermen/ Daleks. Sorry, it made for an insanely beautiful series endign for Doctor Who, but it's compeltely and utterly unbelivable that once again the human race ignored aliens. Come on!

And... I dunno. With all the "this is more fo an adult show" - it just made me realise how much I love the innocent of Doctor Who. I think the cocnept has lost something with this transformation. The dramatic heights are much more touching when they're full with the innocence of Doctor Who.

But I still luike.

ETA: oh yeah. And I love the butler person.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Major General

I don't think you're alone, and I honestly don't think - and I hope this is the case - that we were ever supposed to think of Owen as anything but a nasty little sleaze. Given in general how he's behaved, they seem to be pitching him as the one who presents the unpleasant ideas so you don't have to aggressively dislike the rest of the team (even if he has yet to receive the slapping he so richly deserves).
    Owen was my favourite character! I find it strange that everyone hates him so much...

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    Owen was my favourite character! I find it strange that everyone hates him so much...
    The attempted date rape probably doesn't help.

Major General

Just seems to me people are being a little too over sensative, its only a bit of fun imo...

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by The Signal View Post
    Spoiler:
    according to RTD, they all have same sex encounters over the course of the series, he claims he wants to try and challenge peoples perceptions of sexuality
    Oh that has put me right off, don't think I'm gonna bother with this series if its going to be full of that sort of stuff...

Are we sure it was only attempted? Because I figured he went through with it... with both of them. I also kinda thought this wasn't the first time he'd done it. The sequences were showing the team's routine use of alien tech outside of the workplace.

Either way it was obvious he INTENDED to have sex with that woman and that's enough to turn me right off the character. Permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    Are we sure it was only attempted? Because I figured he went through with it... with both of them. I also kinda thought this wasn't the first time he'd done it. The sequences were showing the team's routine use of alien tech outside of the workplace.

Either way it was obvious he INTENDED to have sex with that woman and that's enough to turn me right off the character. Permanently.
    I'd certainly assumed it was more than attempted, but it was ambiguous and the attempt and intent is the culpable part. Whether he succeeded or not is more or less irrelevant, he's still a nasty little sleaze even if he did leg it and even if it was the first time he'd tried it.

Major General

Am I the only one who thinks people are overreacting? I'd like to hear some comments on this from the writers, I honestly don't think they were trying to provoke this type of reaction (same with the stargate ones for a certain ep)... I mean, its just a bit of fun and I seriously doubt the majority of viewers would get so wound up about this or even take much notice, but die hard Sci-Fi fans to seem to go over every little detail

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    They were routinely using alien technology, but not necessarily that technology in particular. He wouldn't necessarily have had to smuggle it home if he had been using it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks people are overreacting? I'd like to hear some comments on this from the writers, I honestly don't think they were trying to provoke this type of reaction (same with the stargate ones for a certain ep)... I mean, its just a bit of fun and I seriously doubt the majority of viewers would get so wound up about this or even take much notice, but die hard Sci-Fi fans to seem to go over every little detail
    Science Fiction is one of the most sophisticated methods of challenging the public to entertain new ideas, philosophies, or question what they know. Sci Fi is the best way to comment on society! I think such debates are always intended to be caused.

"Five Rounds Rapid"