This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite sci-fi/fantasy female character

Before I even found this board (and noticed the thread about best looking actor/actress), I was thinking about all the fabulous female characters on these various shows. I confess, I haven't seen them all, but of course, the ones I watch all have characters that I love.

Which female character do you love the most and why? Is is the character you are most like? The character you most want to be like?

Some of my favorites (in no particular order):
    Aeryn Sun
    Dana Scully
    Samantha Carter
    Kathryn Janeway
    Buffy Summers
    Xena
    Gabrielle

I really don't know who I'm most like. I focus a lot on work and friendships and not at all on romantic relationships. That would be most like Scully, wouldn't it? Also, Samantha Carter - from what I've seen of her, so far. (I just started watching SG-1 a few weeks ago and I just started season 5 today.) Who would I most like to be? It would be close between Scully and Carter. I like their intelligence and strength.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Faith Lehane, she was the anti-Buffy, played fantastically by Eliza Dusku. She's definately my all time favourite heroine
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Faith had a last name?! I never heard that.

Some favourite female scifi/fantasy characters (in no particular order, it turns out):

Gabrielle
      Samantha Carter
      Ellen Ripley
      Sarah Connor
      Willow Rosenberg
      Dana Scully
      President Laura Roslin
      Janet Fraiser, MD
      Last edited by DEM; 17 October 2006, 01:11 PM.

Comment

My favourite female characters (in no particular order)

President Roslin- a woman put into a situation that she never asked for, she never griped about it, she makes the tough calls that we as viewers might not always like or agree with, but understand. A truly admirable character.

Ellen Ripley- she was a survivor, she was all about taking charge fighting back, she is probably the ultimate sci-fi heroine.

Starbuck- she's got issues, a big mouth, and is second to no one! A great example of gender equality.

Aeryn Sun- love this character, only seen season one, but from what I've come to know of her, she's tough, she doesn't back down, great female role model.

Dana Scully- very cool, smart, great character.

River Tam- the girl kicked butt.

Zoe Washburne- ditto.

Samantha Carter- I really like this character, but I have issues with her, #1 being that she's too perfect. She is the perfect role model, smart, pretty, funny, tough, moral, etc. Perfect. I like the character, but I can't relate to her. The only real problem/issue she seems to have is her love life.

Sarah Conner- she was all about fighting back, and she never gave up.

Vala Malduran- tough, funny, smarter then she lets on, passionate about whatever cause she fights for, and severely flawed.

Sharon Valeri (the copy with Helo)- passionate about what she believes in, she loved her baby, strong willed, not afraid to do what she believes in (even if it means going aginst her own kind), and she looks past prejudice and truly loves Helo.

I bet I forgot someone important.....I'll add later if I think of it.

Comment

1. Ellen Ripley- Probably the stongest woman character ever in Sci-fi. She took a lickin and kept on ticken. This woman lost everyone she ever cared about but still try to do the right thing and in the end made the ultimate sacrific to save mankind.

2. Sarah Connor- Yet another strong character. She went from bimbo waitress to bad-ass mother.

3. Kara Thrace aka Starbuck- proves she can be just as brash as the boys!

Leia Organa

4. Samantha Carter
          5. Dana Scully
          6. Aeryn Sun
          7. Kathryn Janeway
          8. Buffy Summers
          9. Sharon Agathon
          10. Laura Roslin
          11. Faith
          12. Willow Rosenberg
          13. Cordelia Chase
          14. Winifred Burkle
          15. Number Six
          Last edited by Jonas; 18 October 2006, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Callisto. She was completely bat**** and loving every sadistic minute of it. I can truely think of no one else that even comes close. Ten years later and she's never been topped.

There's been all sorts of sci-fi fantasy badgirls that I've seen between her and now but none of them even came close to the sheer and utter "joyous apathy" for the sanctity of life and general ethics she had. She knew she was evil but rather than put on the whole "serious badguy" act she just delighted and reveled in her own evil so damn much.

Of course it didn't exactly hurt that she was smokin' hot either.

Comment

Susan Ivonava
              Samantha Carter
              Janet Frasier
              Delenn (do alien women count)
              Na'Toth (Same questoin)
              Leia Organa
              Ellen Ripply
              Susan Calvin (I, Robot)

Quick list. Hopefully there are others if I think about it. The top two really stand above the rest though.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM View Post
                Faith had a last name?! I never heard that.
                It was never used in the series, but some game was being made (I think it was an MMORPG) and she needed a second name, so Joss came up with Lehane and its stuck.
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

My favourite 5 in no order -

1. Ellen Ripley
                  2. Kara Thrace aka Starbuck
                  3. Aeryn Sun
                  4. Cordelia Chase
                  5. Number Six
                  http://panzor.deviantart.com/ - deviantART: panzor

Comment

Excellent posts! Thanks for your input. I hope more people will chime in!

I thought I'd comment on a couple of other posts that came before:

--Ah, Callisto. She's definitely one of my favorite baddies. But since she's a baddie, she doesn't go on my favorites list. Callisto as portrayed by Hudson Leick was excellent.
                    --Samantha Carter. I don't really think of her as perfect. (FYI - I'm about 7 episodes into season 5, so far. Please don't spoil me!) She has no love life. It doesn't look like she has much of a life at all outside of work. (There have been several mentions in recent episodes about her needing to get a life.) She reminds me a lot of Dana Scully (another favorite).
                    --Laura Roslin wasn't on my original list - which was only a partial list anyway - but she should have been.

As I mentioned, I'm only up to season 5 of SG-1. But what bits I've seen of Vala, I expect that she'll end up on my favorites list as well.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

FarScape
                      Moya
                      Aeryn Sun
                      Chiana

Babylon 5
                      Delenn
                      Susan Ivanova
                      Lyta Alexander

Star Trek
                      Uhura
                      Beverly Crusher
                      Jadzia Dax

Stargate
                      Vala (SG)
                      Elizabeth Weir
                      What's-her-name who shared McKay's body

Anne McCaffrey Works
                      Menolly (DRoP)
                      Sorka
                      Kelly Solinari (Doona)
                      Nrrela

Alan Dean Foster's Works
                      Bonnie (NCT)
                      Fanielle Anjou

That's all I can think of for now.
                      sigpic
                      "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                      Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Working...
                      X