No Alien captains????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Alien captains????

Hell, I'm not Star Trek's biggest fan - probably because I hated Voyager and Enterprise(Enterprise a lot more though!!!!) .

But I noticed something, from The Original Series to Enterprise I've seen alien allies aboard the main ships; Spock, Worf, Tuvok, Odo, Quawck(however u spell it!), the vulcan lady from Enterprise who's name i forgot because she had no personality.

But all of these aliens were just officers - the Captain was ALWAYS human. Is this simply something that the creators didn't pick up on, or do they beleive that humans are the superior race in Star Trek?

I personally believe that putting an alien in charge of Enterprise may've saved the series in stead of having Archer (who's a complete smeg head) aggresively being mean to everything he encounters on his crazy chase through space.

Thoughts?
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

I would like to see a Andorian captain. I hope in the next series we see a more diverse crew.

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
      I personally believe that putting an alien in charge of Enterprise may've saved the series in stead of having Archer (who's a complete smeg head) aggresively being mean to everything he encounters on his crazy chase through space.
      Enterprise was about Earth's first venture into space, putting an alien in as captain would have negated half the point of the show.....

Janeway's motivations and thought process were often quite alien, does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
        Janeway's motivations and thought process were often quite alien, does that count?
        This is true. Not to mention the fact that she was crazy 90% of the time.

There has been an alien captain. There was an Andorian captain in Bridge Commander.

And there was an alien captain shown in "The Voyage Home" so "hah".
        sigpic
        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
          And there was an alien captain shown in "The Voyage Home" so "hah".
          There was?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
            There was?
            Yep. One of the first ships that was caught powerless by that...whale thing was captained by an Alien.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
              Yep. One of the first ships that was caught powerless by that...whale thing was captained by an Alien.
              I've seen that movie at least three or four times and didn't remember.....

*makes note to re-watch*

Comment

Benjamin Sisko, he was half wormhole alien, does that count?
                http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
                  Hell, I'm not Star Trek's biggest fan - probably because I hated Voyager and Enterprise(Enterprise a lot more though!!!!) .

But I noticed something, from The Original Series to Enterprise I've seen alien allies aboard the main ships; Spock, Worf, Tuvok, Odo, Quawck(however u spell it!), the vulcan lady from Enterprise who's name i forgot because she had no personality.

But all of these aliens were just officers - the Captain was ALWAYS human. Is this simply something that the creators didn't pick up on, or do they beleive that humans are the superior race in Star Trek?

Thoughts?
                  Guest Captains have been alien, but the starship captain is suppose to be someone the audience can relate to and cheer for. I don't mind having a few aliens among the main cast, but I would prefer at least half the cast be Human and for the Captain to also be Human.

I really have no interest in following a TV series where the main character is a space alien.

Comment

FWIW, the U.S.S. Intrepid, mentioned in TOS "The Immunity Syndrome", was crewed entirely by Vulcans.

Warehouse Find: STAR TREK Special #1

Comment

There are plenty of mentions of aliens captains. (I'm currently re-watching s7 of DS9, which IMO had the most diverse crew.) There weren't many Starfleet ships with alien captains shown, but there were a few. (DS9, season 7, Take Me Out to the Holosuite features a Vulcan crew, for example.)
                      sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

Wasn't there a Bolian captain who was Picards friend? I'm sure he met up with him in TNG's "Conspiracy".

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
                        Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
                        Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                          Benjamin Sisko, he was half wormhole alien, does that count?
                          No because it was still two humans that concieved him.
                          sigpic

Comment

I thought I read once somewhere or maybe it said during one of the episodes but didn't the Federation most often put crews of the same species on a ship to avoid the whole conflict of culture?

Besides that, Star Trek was about humans, it wouldn't make sense to have the Captain be an alien.

Comment

There were not many alien captains mentioned, but nevertheless, the president of the Federation (or is it Starfleet?) was an alien!

President "rank" is above captain, isn't it?

The different spin-offs just happened to show human captains, but I believe the spirit of star trek wouldn't be against alien captains.

Comment

Working...
                              X