• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Glass Ballerina (302)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON THREE
    THE GLASS BALLERINA
    EPISODE NUMBER - 302

Sayid's plan to find their friends captured by the Others puts the lives of Sun and Jin in danger. Sawyer and Kate are forced into manual labor.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2007, 06:08 PM.

Well, lets see, I'm not a fan of Jin and Sun, so this was never going to be a great one for me. That said I loved Sayid's planning, very much in character. Sawyer starting a fight to see what they were up againstwas brilliant, didnt see it coming. Major props have to go to Ben (Michael Emmerson), damn that guy is creepy, everything from "I want that boat" to the final scene with Jack (which was one of the best scenes Lost has had so far IMO) had me gripped.

What do I want to see from this episode? How the Others retaliate to Sun killing one of their own.

Mystery moment: Ben has been there all his life? So, there were people on the island before Dharma? Now THATS going to be an interesting story!

Overall: 7/10
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Either that, or we just pushed back the establishment of the DHARMA Intitiative on the Island about a decade. Ben's clearly more than 30 years old, which is about as long as most of the DHARMA equipment could have been there, judging by the level of technology. Or perhaps he's speaking metaphorically. Remember what Juliet said, "What we WERE doesn't matter." Maybe he just considers his life before coming to the Island as not important.

...so Sun's not as innocent as we thought she was...interesting...
      Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
      I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
      What have these years left to me?
      Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
        That said I loved Sayid's planning, very much in character.
        I don’t think so. His attention to detail and his initial idea were classic Sayid, and I liked his idea to ambush the Others and hopefully take some prisoner, but then he just went stupid. First he left the boat tied up to the dock. Now if he was going to use that for bait then fine, but it seemed that that wasn’t the plan since they were totally oblivious to them overrunning it. You would think they would have had the dock covered, but nobody was watching it. These Others aren’t dumb enough to walk right up to a fire when there is a boat over there. I guess that was a way of getting the sailboat out of the picture, but I have problems thinking that Sayid would be dumb enough to let them overrun the boat like that and not even think that there was a possibility that they would go for it instead. That’s why the boat should have been left anchored offshore.

Okay other than that flaw in the story, I liked the rest of the episode.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

We missed the first half of the ep due to CTV's random scheduling.

That part with Jack and Ben was very interesting, indeed. Makes me wonder if other minor characters we've met in flashbacks weren't once prisoners on the island and programmed, the way the others are obviously trying to do to Jack.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I thought it was a far better episode than last week's premiere because we actually saw more Cast members. Can't wait till next weeks ep, I really want know what happened in the hatch after that mysterious flash in the finale.
            sigpic

Comment

I think the whole purpose of the island/experiment is to reprogram people. But to what purpose? Yeah, Sayid leaving the boat open was just plain stupid. I wonder what will happen to Sun, what kind of retaliation the Others will reak upon the Losties for her killing one of their own. hmmm...maybe they will eventually snatch her baby? cant wait for next week.

Comment

I can't help but love Henry (I guess I should start calling him Benjamin now, huh? ) even more after this episode, if that's possible.

I find it funny how that even though Jack is my favourite character, I usually find his flashbacks the least interesting. So I'm glad that this weak I wasn't painfully waiting for the flashback segments to end, and, to some extent, I actually in enjoyed them more than the actual episode.

Can't wait 'til next week when we're back with the rest of the Losties.

Comment

Wasn't a bad episode, starting this season off slow though. I liked that Sawyer stood up to the Others, would have liked to have seen him shock one though!

Ben is one creepy guy as is Juliet. She seems all nice but I think Sawyer is right, she wouldn't have hesitated to kill Kate. Hope the next 5 episodes pick up a little steam and answer some questions.

Comment

Heh, it's been a long time since I came here. Anywho, just wanted to put in my two cents.

I guess the guy that Jin was supposed to kill in the flashback killed himself? It's unclear, to me anyways. Someone else could've killed him. But I'm glad Jin didn't do it. I also liked when Jin showed off his automatic weapons prowress to Sayid. Can't wait till Jin starts speaking more English, and I know Daniel Dae Kim can't, either!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Tigress View Post
                      Heh, it's been a long time since I came here. Anywho, just wanted to put in my two cents.

I guess the guy that Jin was supposed to kill in the flashback killed himself? It's unclear, to me anyways. Someone else could've killed him. But I'm glad Jin didn't do it. I also liked when Jin showed off his automatic weapons prowress to Sayid. Can't wait till Jin starts speaking more English, and I know Daniel Dae Kim can't, either!
                      Yeah, I was wondering that myself, given that Jin had another guy with him when he had to send a message to the car dealer, and then that guy who was following Jin at the airport. Sun's father obviously doesn't trust Jin to do his bidding, so he may well have sent backup.

OTOH, Sun's father would likely have confronted Jin if he knew Jin had stopped short of killing his victim.
                      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Quite the important episode! I'm not that big on Sun and Jin, but the Glass Ballerina offered an interesting look into Sun's history of lying and applied it rather nicely to her current predicament. I was confused as to whether it was confirmed that Jae Lee is Sun's baby's father, or whether they merely had an affair.

I was a bit disappointed in Sayid for not thinking that they'd go for the boat first. Although the Others did manage to get by them, keep in mind that Sayid and Jin were looking at the fire area and the Others seem to be able to move without leaving foot prints, so give them a break. Oh, I'd also like to share my speculation that Sayid will be one of the Losties to die this season. His backstory seems to have been told by now and Naveen Andrews is reported to have had some personal problems.

Sawyer's plan was perfect in that you thought it was him just being his same old Sawyer-self in checking Kate out in the dress and wanting to kiss her, yet he totally surprised everyone, just like in The Long Con. I liked that he punched out Pickett (did Colleen call him Dennis?) because he's a real jackass.

Loved the scene with Ben where he introduced himself and showed Jack the Red Sox winning the series. It was a real call back to Jack's own storyline and clearly Ben knew it, since he had it all prepared. The fact that he knew something that personal definitely makes me think that his dad is "Him." Also, it was an EXTREMELY important scene, given that it shows, once and for all, that the Others are capable of getting off the island and that they choose to be there. The fact that Ben's been there all his life is interesting as well, as it could indicate that he was born there prior to the DHARMA Initiative. Finally, Ben's remark to Juliet that she never used to cook him breakfast, would seem to confirm their relationship. I think it would be more interesting if their rivalry was the result of them being siblings, but whatever happens is fine by me.

Overall 3/4 stars, despite the camp Losties not being there. Can't wait for next week! Locke's back and in prime form!!!
                        Spoiler:
                        Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Originally posted by memnarch View Post
                          Quite the important episode! I'm not that big on Sun and Jin, but the Glass Ballerina offered an interesting look into Sun's history of lying and applied it rather nicely to her current predicament. I was confused as to whether it was confirmed that Jae Lee is Sun's baby's father, or whether they merely had an affair.

I was a bit disappointed in Sayid for not thinking that they'd go for the boat first. Although the Others did manage to get by them, keep in mind that Sayid and Jin were looking at the fire area and the Others seem to be able to move without leaving foot prints, so give them a break. Oh, I'd also like to share my speculation that Sayid will be one of the Losties to die this season. His backstory seems to have been told by now and Naveen Andrews is reported to have had some personal problems.

Sawyer's plan was perfect in that you thought it was him just being his same old Sawyer-self in checking Kate out in the dress and wanting to kiss her, yet he totally surprised everyone, just like in The Long Con. I liked that he punched out Pickett (did Colleen call him Dennis?) because he's a real jackass.

Loved the scene with Ben where he introduced himself and showed Jack the Red Sox winning the series. It was a real call back to Jack's own storyline and clearly Ben knew it, since he had it all prepared. The fact that he knew something that personal definitely makes me think that his dad is "Him." Also, it was an EXTREMELY important scene, given that it shows, once and for all, that the Others are capable of getting off the island and that they choose to be there. The fact that Ben's been there all his life is interesting as well, as it could indicate that he was born there prior to the DHARMA Initiative. Finally, Ben's remark to Juliet that she never used to cook him breakfast, would seem to confirm their relationship. I think it would be more interesting if their rivalry was the result of them being siblings, but whatever happens is fine by me.

Overall 3/4 stars, despite the camp Losties not being there. Can't wait for next week! Locke's back and in prime form!!!
                          Personally, I don't think Ben knew of the significance that the Red Sox winning had to Jack...he just showed him because it was one of the really big things that happened in the time they were on the island....and its not something that would be faked...I mean, who would think to make a fake video showing the Sox winning? And more importantly, in the past, who would believe it?

That said, any thoughts on whether Jack will "change his perspective"?
                          sigpic
                          Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                          "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
                            Wasn't a bad episode, starting this season off slow though. I liked that Sawyer stood up to the Others, would have liked to have seen him shock one though!

Ben is one creepy guy as is Juliet. She seems all nice but I think Sawyer is right, she wouldn't have hesitated to kill Kate. Hope the next 5 episodes pick up a little steam and answer some questions.
                            Juliet is alot more creepy than ben because her personality is a flipswitch. Ben has mainly stayed mysterious. And is her name Juliet or Jude Anne (ben called her that during the last 3 seconds of the season premiere). Juliet can be smiling at you one second and just be as nice as a school teacher then flip some switch in her mind and look like she has no concern over taking a steak knife and exposing your guts or giving you an indian necktie. I hope her character is the next one to die. Though that would put the actress out of work and she's great so maybe not die just have kate beat the crap out of her.

Comment

During the 'Ethan' situation in Season one, didn't they find that the 'Others' were coming in from the water? I agree that Sayid not anticipating they might have boarded the boat from the water, if not the dock, was quite out of character.
                              "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Working...
                              X