X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wrong with the Pegasus gates?

I found some error in Atlantis:

1. The two side of the Pegasus gate are the same, because we can see star constellations and chevrons on both side. You can see this in "Letters from Pegasus", "Inferno" or "The Return, part1".

Here is an example:

http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/A1x17/01.jpg

vs.

http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/A1x17/02.jpg

But the set is different in Atlantis. They showed sometimes the gate from the glasses if I remember well when 7-8 went down on the stairs and through the wormhole and there the gate was the same as in SG-1. No chevrons, no signs, so this was the "normal".

2. If you watch closely, than you can see that the star constellations are sometimes on the chevrons! I thought earlier that they are made by laser, but David Hewlett said that this are small lamps in the set.

3. They made a gate with 8 chevron in "The Return".

http://home.comcast.net/~muhammadbin.../WMPLAYER2.JPG

You can see here the my first problem too. If the chevrons are on this side, than how could John enter from the other side?

I know that the gate are CGI, but they shouldn't make such mistakes in my favoritue sci-fi show.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Maybe Pegasus does have different gate designs than the Milky Way.
    Who knows...

Comment

The 8 chevrons gate is something new, really. It all depends if you consider this a blooper or not.
      As for the symbolts on the backside, well, doesn't pose such a problem, as long as the entry/exit side is still the same.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
        The 8 chevrons gate is something new, really. It all depends if you consider this a blooper or not.
        Maybe when the ancients were making the gates they considered that no one would be using the 9th chevron nor would they be able to power the gate sufficiently to use it.

As for the symbolts on the backside, well, doesn't pose such a problem, as long as the entry/exit side is still the same.
        It doesn't matter as long as you see what side the kawoosh is coming from.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

I thought earlier so, that the new system has only 8 chevron. We couldn't see the whole gate in Atlantis and as you said the ninth chevron is useless technically. But they showed gates in space too (for example in Rising, 38 Minutes, Trinity). If they planned this so, than McKay should speak about why have gates 8 or 9 chevron in Pegasus. I think the most logical answer that the CGI-team have forgotten the ninth chevron in the animation. I could accept this, because they are people just like us, but try to imagine that you work on a show for years and after that you make such stupid mistakes. I have to think that they aren't fans or viewers and this is only a profitable work in a row.

Maybe the gates are really the same from both side, but the entrance can be easily found, because there you can't see through the wormhole.

I think that the dialing is a bigger problem. If the gate is opened, than we shouldn't see the whole dialed 7 symbols, because the end of the chevrons should uncover them.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It's a bit far fetched for a blooper though, because I think those VFX studios have a plethora of stargate 3D models, both from Pegasus and the MW, of varying resolutions, and all of them must have nine chevrons.
            I wonder why they bothered creating a model that has only 8 chevrons, safe if they didn't have a suiting model, which I find rather odd.

I mean, what? they built the stations' arms, and then realized that there was a conflict of room with the chevrons, so they had to come with a multiple of four since they had four clamping arms?

As for the chevrons/symbols, I'm not sure I understand the whole problem. Okay, there's the detail about the Pegasus gates having the symbols on the backside, but why not? Is it that important? Of course, it's a bit problematic to guess on which side the kawoosh will form, but after that...
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

It was mused in the 9th Chevron thread that ACTUALLY on the earth gate the 9th Chevron is the one on top that constantly locks into place. And so it is a method of manual dialling, not an extra distant calculator or anything similar. This would support the SGA gate having only 8 Chevrons, because you can't manually dial...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

If I know well than 3-4 different companies are working on the SG episodes:

"Atmosphere Visual Effects" :
                http://www.atmosphere-vfx.com/reelhi.html

"Lost Boys Studios" :
                http://www.lostboys-studios.com/

"Rainmaker" :
                http://www.rainmaker.com/

So someone made this mistake, but it is really unimportant now, because every other parts of the episode was wonderful. I hope that next time they will be more careful.

I don't care that the Pegasus gate have oneside or twoside, but they change it in every episodes. If we suppose that the MW gate is the "normal", than the symbols have to be only one side on P gate too.

I found the souliton for my third problem. I think that end of the chevrons (what are sinking into the symbols area) are painted on the gate in Atlantis, so when a dialed symbol goes around than it can't be uncovered.

Comment

Someone asked the same form Bruce Woloshyn on The SciFi World forum:
                  http://board.thescifiworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=861

Comment

1 more prob with the gates is that i dont think u can manually dial them.
                    I'm gonna loose it. (Teal'C looking confused) Lose it? It means go crazy ... nuts ... insane ... Bonzo ... No longer in possession of one's faculties ... Three fries short of a Happy Meal ... WACKO!!
                    One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
                    A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
                    ...never run with scissors?

maybe u read mi report
                    maybe he read your report?(making a weird face looking at jack)

things you would not want to hear on the SGC's intercom
                    *thud* *thud* *thud*.............*thud* I SAID OPEN THE IRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    I am a self confessed Richard Dean Anderson fan eg. i have all macgyver and stargate seasons available

Comment

Working...
                    X