Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prometheus Unbound - The episode that shows just how much Daniel has changed

I know Daniel's character has changed over the years from a whinny sneezing, moralistic wimp to the guy we all know today but I reckon this episode shows us all the changes to his character. For example he has a fist fight with Vala. This is significant for so many reasons, the fact that he is fighting at all and that she is a woman. If this had happened in the first season he would have wanted to commit suicide at the thought of even hurting a hair on her head.
    His attitude was almost O'Neillish (if that is even a word. Well it is now) He is calm and collected and he lets out plenty of one liners some of which left me in hysterics.
    He goes out of the ship without glasses looking like Action Man beefed up in the Kull warrior's armor to meet the 2 aliens.
    Then near the end when Hammond and the others rescued them, Vala was pouring her heart out to Daniel. Now if that was him in season 1 he would have listened but he just zated her in an I don't care attitude.
    Who else has the same idea as me or think there is a different episode which offers an insight on how much Daniel has changed.

I see what you mean. I love how Daniel has changed thoughout the series. He's my favorite character for this reason. I love comparing "Serpents Grasp" Daniel to, maybe say "Flesh and Blood" Daniel.

Similar situation but much different attitide. He's not trying to save everyone anymore.
    Last edited by Chricton; 28 September 2006, 12:56 PM.
    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Yeah, but as much as Daniel has changed over the years, and he certainly should be changing after a decade, the core parts of Daniel Jackson remain intact. The logical, reasoning side of his personality still shines through, his desire to see the best in other people is still alive and well. However, the emergence of a more cynical side of Daniel is also a welcome addition, imo. He is still naive in some ways, but he's no one's fool. Prometheus Unbound is a perfect example. He may have been suckered once by Vala, but once is all she got. Once Daniel turned the tables, they pretty much stayed turned.

It's really nice to watch the evolution of this character over the course of ten years. Part of what I love about Daniel is that the changes in his personality make sense, and yet I still haven't lost any affection or admiration for the character. This is most certainly a man you would want by your side if you were going through a Stargate.

Comment

I do also have to say that Daniel is my favorite character in SG-1. I loved seeing him evolve from basically a wimp into the Daniel we now know. Plus, in the beginning he never fired any weapons. Now, he's shooting that p90 all of the time.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz
          I do also have to say that Daniel is my favorite character in SG-1. I loved seeing him evolve from basically a wimp into the Daniel we now know. Plus, in the beginning he never fired any weapons. Now, he's shooting that p90 all of the time.
          I saw the first (tangible) signs of his evolution as a character when he was flighting with O'Neil and Carter against the Replicators in the season 5 finale - they were all working together, laying down cover fire and retreating. He had turned into quite a competent soldier by that stage.

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Originally posted by SGC General Griff
            I know Daniel's character has changed over the years from a whinny sneezing, moralistic wimp to the guy we all know today but I reckon this episode shows us all the changes to his character. For example he has a fist fight with Vala. This is significant for so many reasons, the fact that he is fighting at all and that she is a woman. If this had happened in the first season he would have wanted to commit suicide at the thought of even hurting a hair on her head.
            His attitude was almost O'Neillish (if that is even a word. Well it is now) He is calm and collected and he lets out plenty of one liners some of which left me in hysterics.
            He goes out of the ship without glasses looking like Action Man beefed up in the Kull warrior's armor to meet the 2 aliens.
            Then near the end when Hammond and the others rescued them, Vala was pouring her heart out to Daniel. Now if that was him in season 1 he would have listened but he just zated her in an I don't care attitude.
            Who else has the same idea as me or think there is a different episode which offers an insight on how much Daniel has changed.
            I agree Daniel changed and I hated it.

I prefer Daniel the way he is in Season 10. His native kindness is balanced with a realism about what can be expected from people. If Daniel is going to "grow" from his experiences, I much prefer he do it this way -- I'd rather see him grow wiser than more cynical.

Comment

In 513 proving ground when they were training the new recruits and Daniel was pretending to be the Goa'uld, he shot every single one of them and they didn't even attempt to get one back.

He's seen a lot of bad things happen in the last 10 years, Sha're being taken as a host. He's seen quite a few people he cares about be killed, he's been tortured , he himself has died a few times. All that would kinda make you a little de-sensitised. Combine that with the fact he's probably had a bit of combat training on the side and he's seen more frontline action than most soldiers on earth.
              How else is he supposed to be.

Comment

Daniel's changed, but in a way that he would have had to, in order to work as part of a military team and not be a liability (well, not as much as he was at first), he would have had training on weapons and military equipment and has become a sort of civilian officer advisor in the field. I have no problem with him having toten proficient at what he does within SG-1 and the military, for his character it would be an insult if he was still just 'bumbling doctor jackson' - he's a smart intelligent character and would get better at hiding his fear after being in combat situations for a decade.

Comment

Yes, it does seem like he has changed a lot. In the early seasons he wanted to be peaceful with every civilization and argued with O'Neil not to use violence. By season nine, look what he said with Anubis's experiment, he said it's not worth the risk to keep him alive.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree Daniel's character has changed for the better and it does make sense because of all the things he has been through. In fact if you look at Daniel and then at Teal'c, Daniel's evolution is the only one that makes sense. I've said in another thread that Teal'c seems to have de-evolved, his character has become to human.

Comment

Daniel is now sometimes more like O'Neill then RDA was.... i am not so sure i 100% like it. Yes, his character had to grow, but i think this is wrong direction.
                      VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Well I liked Daniel in the early seasons but I absolutely LOVE him in seasons 8-10! I think that he's the best evolved charecter of the series... He used to be such a nerdy pacifist and now although those traits have remained intact we have a better, well built and sometimes very amusing (in a good way) character

Comment

Originally posted by silence
                          Daniel is now sometimes more like O'Neill then RDA was.... i am not so sure i 100% like it. Yes, his character had to grow, but i think this is wrong direction.
                          I don't think Daniel is like O'Neill at all. Just because Daniel is now willing to take life if it means protecting other Beings in the galaxy, doesn't mean that Daniel is growing in the wrong direction. If Daniel continued to "fight" for other lives, even when those lives were corrupt and evil ("Prototype"), it would make Daniel look like a naive fool. Daniel is neither.

Daniel still loves meeting new cultures, still wants to believe in the basic goodness of all species, and he will fight for the rights of planets and civilizations to remain true to their origins. However, Daniel doesn't view the beings he encounters through gate travel through rose-colored glasses. He's keenly aware, perhaps more so than anyone else in the SGC, of how evil, manipulation, and deceit can exist in various species.

I really love the evolution of Daniel Jackson. It's been a very credible transition for me, as a fan. I can actually point to certain episodes and say "Okay, THIS is why Daniel is thinking like that now," or "NOW, I understand why Daniel feels this way."

I guess what I'm saying is that the Daniel Jackson I knew in "Children of the Gods" is still alive and well and recognizable in "The Quest," ten years later.

Comment

Working...
                          X