This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargate_trivia_book View Post
    New member here! I have recently been writing a trivia book based on the SG-1 series. Thought I might look through here and glean some ideas! Great site!
    Welcome new person! Have fun browsing the site and discussing Stargate and other shows too if you like. I'm sure the others will be along to BBQ welcome you shortly.
    sigpic

Comment

*starts banging on the bars* New meat!
      What sauces go best with you?

Comment

Wow... so many BBQ's to attend to.

It's been good eatin' these past few weeks.

Welcome newbie!
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Congratulations on the 20th anniversary! Had I known about this site back then I would've joined then but I only recently found this and a few other Stargate sites after being a fan of the movie back in 1994. For the longest time I was member of the old Star Trek.com message boards and was the only place I posted because of way too many fan sites flooding the internet. Fortunately they had a Miscellaneous board that anything not Star Trek related could be posted and that's how I was able to post about Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and a few other series and movies without a problem. So with saying that, yes I'm new to this board for a month now but not new to the process, I've been around these things for a long time.

A little about myself, I watched the 1994 Stargate movie on a Navy base in Yokosuka Japan when it was originally released and it was very popular back then with the Navy folks and I left the movie feeling they left it wide open for another movie or perhaps a series. In 1998 I finally transferred from Japan back to the States to Norfolk Virginia and found SG-1. I can't remember the SG-1 episode I first watched but it was sometime during the Fall of 1998 but I didn't understand what was going on since I didn't see the series from the beginning and only had recently heard of it after seeing something about it in Starlog. I tried watching the show a few more times but gave up because it made no sense.

Around 2003 after a friend suggested I give it another try, I was finally able to start from the beginning without being interrupted by a chaotic deployment schedule which really hampered all TV viewing from 1998-2002, I wasn't able to keep up with anything. I started my Netflix subscription and loaded up the first season of SG-1 and was immediately impressed and hooked. I just needed to see the series from the beginning to get into perspective of what was going on because Teal'c being on the team made no sense to me when jumping in around the second season with no backhistory. So before finishing my first batch of DVDs from Netflix I put the entire series in my que and binge-watched them until I was caught up with the series. I waited until the entire series boxset was available because I couldn't find all the DVDs at my local video stores and didn't even think about Amazon for them. So in 2010 I bought the entire SG-1 boxset and a few other series.

I also like the other series but SG-1 is my favorite.

As for which BBQ/steak sauce is best, I prefer my steaks with no sauce because I'm not ruining a $30.00+ steak by slathering a variation of catsup on it. I found out a long time ago when steaks are properly prepared you don't need sauces but I do like a little sea salt and fresh-ground pepper. Save the sauces for grilling burgers and dogs in your backyard but keep them away from steaks. Also since steak sauces were invented to hide the taste of bad meat, they really aren't required anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFourtyTwo View Post
            As for which BBQ/steak sauce is best, I prefer my steaks with no sauce because I'm not ruining a $30.00+ steak by slathering a variation of catsup on it. I found out a long time ago when steaks are properly prepared you don't need sauces but I do like a little sea salt and fresh-ground pepper. Save the sauces for grilling burgers and dogs in your backyard but keep them away from steaks. Also since steak sauces were invented to hide the taste of bad meat, they really aren't required anymore.
            Poor, deluded newb. Newbs aren't steaks. They're not even bacon. So you need some sort of seasoning to make them palatable.
            Our chief cook & bottle washer, FH will have to determine what goes good with you.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

Comment

Welcome no-sauce newbie!

Will have to make it all about the seasoning... ...will be interesting.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFourtyTwo View Post
                Congratulations on the 20th anniversary! Had I known about this site back then I would've joined then but I only recently found this and a few other Stargate sites after being a fan of the movie back in 1994. For the longest time I was member of the old Star Trek.com message boards and was the only place I posted because of way too many fan sites flooding the internet. Fortunately they had a Miscellaneous board that anything not Star Trek related could be posted and that's how I was able to post about Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and a few other series and movies without a problem. So with saying that, yes I'm new to this board for a month now but not new to the process, I've been around these things for a long time.

A little about myself, I watched the 1994 Stargate movie on a Navy base in Yokosuka Japan when it was originally released and it was very popular back then with the Navy folks and I left the movie feeling they left it wide open for another movie or perhaps a series. In 1998 I finally transferred from Japan back to the States to Norfolk Virginia and found SG-1. I can't remember the SG-1 episode I first watched but it was sometime during the Fall of 1998 but I didn't understand what was going on since I didn't see the series from the beginning and only had recently heard of it after seeing something about it in Starlog. I tried watching the show a few more times but gave up because it made no sense.

Around 2003 after a friend suggested I give it another try, I was finally able to start from the beginning without being interrupted by a chaotic deployment schedule which really hampered all TV viewing from 1998-2002, I wasn't able to keep up with anything. I started my Netflix subscription and loaded up the first season of SG-1 and was immediately impressed and hooked. I just needed to see the series from the beginning to get into perspective of what was going on because Teal'c being on the team made no sense to me when jumping in around the second season with no backhistory. So before finishing my first batch of DVDs from Netflix I put the entire series in my que and binge-watched them until I was caught up with the series. I waited until the entire series boxset was available because I couldn't find all the DVDs at my local video stores and didn't even think about Amazon for them. So in 2010 I bought the entire SG-1 boxset and a few other series.

I also like the other series but SG-1 is my favorite.

Welcome to Gateworld!

I agree with you about not needing sauce on steaks. I prefer mine with just some salt on them (really can't stand pepper on anything though), and if they absolutely need to be cooked, it needs to be medium rare, burgers too, anything more than that is just overcooked and doesn't taste all that good to me.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                  Welcome to Gateworld!

I agree with you about not needing sauce on steaks. I prefer mine with just some salt on them (really can't stand pepper on anything though), and if they absolutely need to be cooked, it needs to be medium rare, burgers too, anything more than that is just overcooked and doesn't taste all that good to me.
                  We're opposites. I like my steaks rare, and with a small bit of a seasoning powder, unless it's ribeye or better. With that good a starting point, I don't want anything on it, not even salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                    We're opposites. I like my steaks rare, and with a small bit of a seasoning powder, unless it's ribeye or better. With that good a starting point, I don't want anything on it, not even salt.
                    If it's good quality meat I like it rare, but with salt on it (I put salt on it before cooking, not after, I know some people put it on after, right before they eat it). Roast beef, prime rib, filet mignon, those are all good rare. The most seasoning/marininating I'll do to red meat is cooking flank steak or top round with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, along with salt.
                    sigpic

Comment

You're both wrong. Seasoning before grilling and make it rare
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

If it's good quality meat I like it rare, but with salt on it (I put salt on it before cooking, not after, I know some people put it on after, right before they eat it). Roast beef, prime rib, filet mignon, those are all good rare. The most seasoning/marininating I'll do to red meat is cooking flank steak or top round with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, along with salt.
                        I used to like Adolph's meat tenderizer a number of years ago. Was a good product for making do with lower cost cuts of meat.Then I stopped using it for some reason. A few years ago, I tried it again, and it caused emission standards issues on exhaust vent # 2.

I think they changed something with it. Idiots.

Comment

people who can afford to buy those cuts of meat, ANY of those cuts of meat , better have deep pockets any cuts of beef, even the beloved burgers and dogs and chickens will be expensive, all the fixens for a 4th of july BBQ will be about 3-4 times what it was last year.

and yes salting BEFORE cooking allows the meat to absorb the salt and other seasonings and makes the meat more flavorful and tender if you use a tenderizer, Adolph's meat tenderizer. it can make "cheap" cuts of meat tender.

What is in Adolph's meat tenderizer?

Salt, Sugar, Corn Starch (Prevents Caking), and Bromelain (Tenderizer). Directions: Moisten meat. Shake Adolph's Tenderizer evenly over meat (about 1 tsp. ... For thicker cuts of meat, let stand 30 minutes, before cooking.

Bromelain is a protein-digesting enzyme mixture derived from the stem, fruit, and juice of the pineapple plant.
                          Last edited by epg20; 21 June 2020, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                            and yes salting BEFORE cooking allows the meat to absorb the salt and other seasonings and makes the meat more flavorful and tender if you use a tenderizer, Adolph's meat tenderizer. it can make "cheap" cuts of meat tender.

Salt, Sugar, Corn Starch (Prevents Caking), and Bromelain (Tenderizer). Directions: Moisten meat. Shake Adolph's Tenderizer evenly over meat (about 1 tsp. ... For thicker cuts of meat, let stand 30 minutes, before cooking.

Bromelain is a protein-digesting enzyme mixture derived from the stem, fruit, and juice of the pineapple plant.
                            As I suspected, they did change the formula for it.

https://www.mccormick.com/lawrys/fla...eat-tenderizer

Merchant Response

We changed the tenderizer from papain to bromelain in 2009; Dorothy; but we have not changed the amount of sodium. We’re sorry you were disappointed. ~Leslie
                            Perhaps it's something specific to me, but the current incarnation causes problems with my digestive tract. As I said above, I used it for many years, but i had apparently stopped before the change, and by the time I used it again, they had changed it, and it doesn't agree with me.

Damned idiots that run the company forgot a prime rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              I used to like Adolph's meat tenderizer a number of years ago. Was a good product for making do with lower cost cuts of meat.Then I stopped using it for some reason. A few years ago, I tried it again, and it caused emission standards issues on exhaust vent # 2.

I think they changed something with it. Idiots.
                              I've never tried meat tenderizer before, I might see how it works for me.

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                              people who can afford to buy those cuts of meat, ANY of those cuts of meat , better have deep pockets any cuts of beef, even the beloved burgers and dogs and chickens will be expensive, all the fixens for a 4th of july BBQ will be about 3-4 times what it was last year.

Chicken, ground beef and pork are still selling at normal sale prices be me right now. I just bought ground beef for $3.49/lb and chicken leg quarters for 0.99/lb on sale at the supermarket. The steaks and roasts weren't on sale this week at the place I went (I went went to a chain supermarket right next door to where I work after I got out), but they seemed to be selling at normal non sale prices.
                              sigpic

Comment

Paparin can have more severe side effects than bromaline. Not really a surprise why they changed it
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X