This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affinity Review !

I really doesn't like the Lex review (I've stopped after the first page)

Come on man We don't want your opinion about an episode ! We want the damn review ... If you are aigainst a scenario it's not my problem if u just wanna see offworld travel with battle ! I understand it cans be boring but there is no need to write 5-600words about it

I just don't get it ...

Review by Lex
    - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
    - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
    - The Nox

A review is an opinion. Or do you prefer the type of review that says everything in every episode was oh so perfect, wonderful, hunky dory, great?

Thank goodness Lex does honest, realistic and, yes, impartial reviews. She doesn't sugar coat the truth about the increasingly bad storytelling.

Comment

Reviews, by their nature, are opinions. Such is why they get star ratings. If you don't like the reviews, don't read them.

Comment

Well,I was a bit intrigued about "Affinity"(Ok,nosy !),and checked the Gateworld ep reviews.
        There are in fact 2 reviews of this episode.
        One by Lex.One by Alli Snow.
        Both give their opinion.
        Both good writers,IMO.
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

REVIEW
          v. re·viewed, re·view·ing, re·views
          v. tr.
          1. To look over, study, or examine again.
          2. To consider retrospectively; look back on.
          3. To examine with an eye to criticism or correction: reviewed the research findings.
          4. To write or give a critical report on (a new work or performance, for example).

Perhaps you're thinking of a summary- Presenting the substance in a condensed form; concise.

I always thought reviews were supposed to be personal views on a subject. Both Lex and Alli touched on some of the plot points contained in the ep and gave their interpretations of how those scenes and the ep as a whole "worked" for them... or, in this case, didn't work.

spoilers for Affinity
          Spoiler:
          Personally, I happen to think they're both more or less spot-on with their complaints. I know there are budget concerns, but Affinity was so far from what I consider to be a real ep of Stargate that it wasn't even enjoyable. I did laugh a few times, but it was from the sheer stupidity of what was happening. Teal'c beats up the Biff Tannen Gang, Teal'c channels Crocodile Dundee, Teal'c channels Mr. Miyagi... Over seven-plus seasons, we've managed to get to know Teal'c only slightly, but all of that good was very nearly undone by this single, wretched episode.

I find it very interesting- and very telling- that while both reviewers seem to stand on opposite sides where 'ship is concerned, both agree that this was a terrible ep.

I've been told that my expectations are too high and that I should be grateful for anything I can get. But it was Stargate itself that made me have high expectations and if the show fails to live up to its own high standards, how is that my fault? And why should I be grateful for it? Dreck is dreck, whether it's Stargate or Poochinsky 2063.

I, for one, am glad that Gateworld found a couple of reviewers willing to honestly state their opinions instead of toeing the party line and cheering on anything that gets thrown at us. I'm also glad that they were able to discuss the merits and failings of the ep as a whole instead of dwelling on a... certain aspect which has so completely overwhelmed the Affinity ep discussion thread that I can't even set foot in the thread. I pity anyone who actually wants to discuss the ep as it was readily apparent from my one or two forays in there that a majority of the posters have no interest in anything like plot but instead would rather dwell obsessively on that One Aspect to the utter exclusion of everything else. *sigh* But I digress.

Kudos to Lex and Alli for their reviews.

Comment

Kudos to Gateworld for getting two reviewers that could handle writing the one for this episode and not have it degenerate the way that it could have, and who both came up with a consistant star rating. I've found as I catch up on my SG1 viewing that I rely a great deal on the stars.

Good job, both of you!

Comment

I've been watching Stargate for a long time now, and I have to say that I like "Afinity". Could it have been better? Probably. However, it wasn't terrible. I enjoyed seeing Teal'c having to deal with the craziness of Earth, and thought it went rather well. I have to say I was saddened that Teal'c was forced to live back on base again after the fact. In any case, I felt that the reviews were a little harsh. I watch stargate to be entertained, and guess what? I was entertained. End of story.

p.s.- I wouldn't mind seeing more Teal'c "on Earth" stories in the future. His character is such, that humor can easily be found when confonting "Earth" normal.
              The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
              Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
              My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
              Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Of all the possible "Teal'c on Earth" stories they could have done, this is what we get?? Sorry, but no thanks. I'd rather see him deal with some serious content, not this recycled soap opera melodrama.

Comment

Hi everyone!

I think both reviews are pretty cold....

I think it was necessary to see Teal'c's reactions to our way of life.....

Maybe this episode is not the best writing the writers made, but maybe this episode was a long postponed part of SG-1's life....

I'm sorry if my english is bad. I'm hungarian(Hungary is in Central Europe).......

Comment

I'm all for seeing Teal'c's "reactions" to living on Earth, but first of all, he's been around long enough to have clued in on at least a few things. I could see him reacting like this back in seasons 2 or 3, but season 8??

Also, I didn't get the impression that the reviewers hated this ep because it showed Teal'c on Earth, I got the impression they hated it because the writers reduced Teal'c to such a stupid role in a such stupid plot instead of taking full advantage of the opportunity to really explore the depth of Teal'c's character and maybe poke some fun at "strange Earth customs" or something like that. At least I know that I was disappointed by it...

If the reviews were cold, maybe it's because the episode left them both feeling cold.

Welcome to the board, by the way. Your English is better than some native speakers'.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      REVIEW
                      v. re·viewed, re·view·ing, re·views
                      v. tr.
                      1. To look over, study, or examine again.
                      2. To consider retrospectively; look back on.
                      3. To examine with an eye to criticism or correction: reviewed the research findings.
                      4. To write or give a critical report on (a new work or performance, for example).

Perhaps you're thinking of a summary- Presenting the substance in a condensed form; concise.

I always thought reviews were supposed to be personal views on a subject. Both Lex and Alli touched on some of the plot points contained in the ep and gave their interpretations of how those scenes and the ep as a whole "worked" for them... or, in this case, didn't work.

I find it very interesting- and very telling- that while both reviewers seem to stand on opposite sides where 'ship is concerned, both agree that this was a terrible ep.

I, for one, am glad that Gateworld found a couple of reviewers willing to honestly state their opinions instead of toeing the party line and cheering on anything that gets thrown at us. I'm also glad that they were able to discuss the merits and failings of the ep as a whole instead of dwelling on a... certain aspect which has so completely overwhelmed the Affinity ep discussion thread that I can't even set foot in the thread. I pity anyone who actually wants to discuss the ep as it was readily apparent from my one or two forays in there that a majority of the posters have no interest in anything like plot but instead would rather dwell obsessively on that One Aspect to the utter exclusion of everything else. *sigh* But I digress.

Kudos to Lex and Alli for their reviews.
                      Hear, hear! Kudos to ShadowMaat for covering it so well, I am in complete agreement.

Also, the reason I read reviews is to get an opinion that may be different from my own and in doing so just might make me see that particular episode in another light (or at least certain aspects of it). Or in some cases, it's just out of curiousity to see if the reviewer happens to agree with me on things that I enjoyed. Because sometimes it's just fun to know (and also, oddly comforting) that someone else laughs at the same things I do.
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Also, I didn't get the impression that the reviewers hated this ep because it showed Teal'c on Earth, I got the impression they hated it because the writers reduced Teal'c to such a stupid role in a such stupid plot instead of taking full advantage of the opportunity to really explore the depth of Teal'c's character and maybe poke some fun at "strange Earth customs" or something like that.

exactly. I mean, was the situation any more cliche????? Was there anyone out there that didn't know the boyfriend was gonna buy it? Anyone that didn't know the nosy old lady with the cat was gonna turn teal'c in? (even though we didn't see it, she had to have been teh person to tell the cops, they deliberately showed her hearing teal'c threaten him.)

I mean, at least do something different....have the boyfriend kill the old lady or have one of the gang bangers terrorize the apartment complex, something.

Of course, what the hades are they doing moving teal'c into such a crime ridden neighborhood anyway???? Gang bangers, punks and purse snatchers.....all he needed was a hooker on the corner.

IMHO, Peter DeLuise took a fast and easy way out to crank out a story, which means, in my opinion, the eps was easily predictible. This fantastic opportunity to explore earth and Teal'c got buried under a lot of easy cliches.

The only part i really enjoyed was watching Pete immitate Gil Grissom (CSI).

I find Cop Pete much more enjoyable than Puppy Pete
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          exactly. I mean, was the situation any more cliche????? Was there anyone out there that didn't know the boyfriend was gonna buy it?
                          Well, you knew he was goinna buy it because he was the Evil Abusive Boyfriend. That was the sum total of his personality. No shadings, no quirks, no redeeming features at all. Not only did you know he was going to die, you WANTED him to because there was nothing to save the character from Cliche-ville.

The gang-bangers were all Token Evil Bad-asses, too. The kid was the Plucky Teen Who Idolizes the Hero. The neighbor was the Crazy Old Cat Lady. The girl was the Sexy Damsel in Distress. The Trust Guys were all card-carrying members of the Mysteriously Evil and Omniscient Organization. I've said this before about another ep, but in this case, ALL of the characters were so one-dimensional it's a wonder they weren't sucked flat from the experience.

All the good characters were completely good, all the bad characters were completely bad. There were no surprises, no variations, no excitement, no drama. It was cheap and fast and... well, that's pretty much it.

I, too, can't believe that the government would allow Teal'c to live in such a neighborhood. I would find it much more likely that they'd get him a place in Daniel's building, for example, so that there would be someone familiar and trustworthy to keep an eye on Teal'c and to help him out if he needs it. He's a national secret. They're gonna want to protect him even if he's out on "the streets". Someone had to be double-checking everything and I can't imagine they'd have okayed Teal'c's choice. Unless the rest of Colorado Springs is even worse than that and that was the best to be found. Heck, I can't believe Teal'c would want to live there, himself.

Comment

I enjoyed the episode, but alas, I will admit that I may grow tired of this particular episode when I get out my notepad and begin to jot down data for the Omnipedia.

Comment

Yeah, but you're easy to please, David. Making me happy is usually an uphill battle. Unless there's chocolate involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X