This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why John Sheppard has his name

I just watched a film by Richard Dean Anderson as MacGyver: "The Hunt for the Tresor of Atlantis" (roughly translated, my title is in German)

The curious thing about it is when the film ends (Atlantis is an advanced civilization, oh oh) and the credits start look at this:

And 2 seconds later

Now we know about it, hehehe. RDA chose his name on purpose as I see it. It's only a curiosity for fans, but that's what we are, right?

Although "John Sheppard" wouldn't be an uncommon name, that's pretty interesting. You might be onto something here.
    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Isn't there some sort of process that has to be done in order for the names of characters to be chosen?

I remember they had to change Mitchells name, so if there is a real John Sheppard then wouldn't it cause problems because the character is being named after a person?

sigpic

Comment

good catch

who knows what TBTP are up to???
        -- Brains12

Comment

Originally posted by brains12
          who knows what TBTP are up to???

hehehe. Maybe now we need to revise all MacGyver episodes to see how the co-producers were named. If I find some more i'll tell you, hahaha

This was absolutely not on purpose, dumb luck

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
            Isn't there some sort of process that has to be done in order for the names of characters to be chosen?

I remember they had to change Mitchells name, so if there is a real John Sheppard then wouldn't it cause problems because the character is being named after a person?

As someone who's been on the approval end of things, yes there is a process.

Basically if you want to have, say for example, a doctor character on your show you need to do a reasonable search to verify that there aren't any real doctors with your characters name.

But you don't have to verify that there isn't any one in the world that actually has that name. Just no one within the same profession.

So it wouldn't surprise me if this is where they took the name from. It would be an inside joke to the cast and crew, but wouldn't be of any concern because John Sheppard is a TV producer, not an Air Force officer.

Comment

This has come up before, actually. One of TPTB said it was a coincidence.
              Rocky

Comment

Why did they have to change Mitchell's name?

Comment

Originally posted by closetfan
                  As someone who's been on the approval end of things, yes there is a process.

Basically if you want to have, say for example, a doctor character on your show you need to do a reasonable search to verify that there aren't any real doctors with your characters name.

But you don't have to verify that there isn't any one in the world that actually has that name. Just no one within the same profession.
                  Yeeeeeeeah, given how many people there are, it'd be next to impossible not to give a character a name that doesn't belong to someone out there.

It seems that during their verification process, they somehow missed the real Elizabeth Weir.
                  [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                    Yeeeeeeeah, given how many people there are, it'd be next to impossible not to give a character a name that doesn't belong to someone out there.

It seems that during their verification process, they somehow missed the real Elizabeth Weir.
                    Ah, but she didn't work for the UN, wasn't a ply sci teacher, and isn't a diplomat. And our Elizabeth never served as an actual government representative.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Syera

That's funny.

Could be they got around it because SGA's Weir is an American, but yeah, it's much more likely that they just missed it.

Comment

It's ridiculous to have it was a practice to not have fictional characters share their names with any real life persons.

Do you have any idea of how many random people there are out there who are never mentioned in the media? I mean, I'm not famous and if I google my own name, I'll find a whole bunch of people mostly from the Netherlands (for reasons unknown, apparentely, my last name is a very common last name in the Netherlands).

I'm sure there are Samantha Carters, Jonathan O'Neills, Jonathan O'Neils, Hank Landries, George Hammonds and God-knows-who out there.

Heck, Daniel Jackson is a real life archaeologist.

Comment

I know for a fact that at least one character is named after a relative of a producer, so there's one place for names.

Comment

characters' first and last names can often be taken from someone on the crew. Its a nice tribute and, so long as the name fits, can make the whole process easier. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was inspiration for the name.
                            //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                            Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

One of my cousins has a classmate named Daniel Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                              X