This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Michael Shanks Autograph On eBay

Fans have been expressing concern of the authenticity of a Michael Shanks signature on an item at eBay.

Paul Brown of Legends Memorabila sent me this message to circulate. It also appears on the michaelshanks-online site which he sent it to as well.

Here is a link to the item in questionhttp://cgi.ebay.com/MICHAEL-SHANKS-Hottie-on-SG-1-8x10-SIGNED-Photo-COA\
    _W0QQitemZ110034178589QQihZ001QQcategoryZ60QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The following is Paul Brown's comments about the item.

"Here are my comments on that particular item (which you may circulate if you wish):

"I received an image of the 'questionable' autograph yesterday and having reviewed it, I have determined that in my opinion it is not authentic. To further confirm this opinion, I have shown it to Michael and he has agreed that this is not his signature and he did not sign this particular photograph.
    There is a rather complex 'VERO' (Verified Rights Owner) procedure to be followed in getting an item 'delisted' from eBay but I will take steps today to help Michael get this established. As is the case with other Stargate actors that we represent for autograph sales, he too is concerned about his fans being duped by forgeries."

Best regards as always,

Paul
    ______
    Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

http://www.michaelshanks-online.com/news/index.shtml

Over at MSOL news it pretty much tells you how Paul got involved; and how this all came about.

Sue

sigpic

Our Stargate Forum ~Michael Shanks List ~Michael Shanks Online

Comment

Originally posted by Suebsg9

Over at MSOL news it pretty much tells you how Paul got involved; and how this all came about.
      Don't be modest SueB, your the one with eagle eyes that spotted it for us. Both Monica of the MSOL and I emailed Paul Brown at pretty much the same time about it. Both got the same message about it.

You are the one who deserves the credit for this and for keeping fans safe from fakes like this. Good Job on your part and thank you for being so eagled eyed and spotting this

Marla
      ______
      Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Originally posted by Suebsg9

Yeah, I'd already read all about this yesterday at MSOL. That was you who asked them if it was real? Cool beans, girlfriend! That's a great website. What was the Michael Shanks Yahoo list they mentioned?

Carin

Comment

Being perfectly honest, I have no idea why a person would use ebay of all places to get signed material. It just seems like ebay is the most obvious place you're likely to get screwed out of money because people would use it to sell fakes.

It's good to know that Shanks and his fans actually take the time to make sure such fakes aren't being sold so I have to give everyone involved a lot of credit because I doubt others would be as concerned. I know there are a lot of people out there like myself who can't just go to any convention and get him to sign something in person so it's good to know that people are taking time to make sure the fans do get their moneys worth.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carin
            Yeah, I'd already read all about this yesterday at MSOL. That was you who asked them if it was real? Cool beans, girlfriend! That's a great website. What was the Michael Shanks Yahoo list they mentioned?

Carin
            We actually started a discussion in the group about it; and then we all were wondering how to go about contacting someone to either have it taken down and then someone from MSOL contacted Paul and well rest is history.

Sue

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
              Being perfectly honest, I have no idea why a person would use ebay of all places to get signed material. It just seems like ebay is the most obvious place you're likely to get screwed out of money because people would use it to sell fakes.

It's good to know that Shanks and his fans actually take the time to make sure such fakes aren't being sold so I have to give everyone involved a lot of credit because I doubt others would be as concerned. I know there are a lot of people out there like myself who can't just go to any convention and get him to sign something in person so it's good to know that people are taking time to make sure the fans do get their moneys worth.
              Well that is why we were trying to figure out whom to contact when the discussion was going on in the group and to warn fans; and monica thought about contacting paul. But was more so fans wouldn't get fakes. I never thought in my wildest dreams Michael would be asked also.
              Sue

sigpic

Comment

yes, but what was the group-- the name of it? I'd like to join. I have MSOL as my home page, but they don't have a forum.

That seller has lots of other SG1 "autographs" and I bet they're fake, too!

Carin

Comment

Originally posted by Carin
                  yes, but what was the group-- the name of it? I'd like to join. I have MSOL as my home page, but they don't have a forum.

That seller has lots of other SG1 "autographs" and I bet they're fake, too!

Carin
                  http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/michael-shanks/

Click to join michael-shanks

This is the group; as you will see we are also a chatty group! But love to have you Gals from MSOL hang out there!
                  Last edited by Suebsg9; 20 September 2006, 08:46 AM.
                  Sue

sigpic

Comment

Paul Brown of Legends Memorabilia has just sent us the details of a press
                    release/notice that will shortly be circulating to online groups regarding the
                    sale of fake autographed photos of Michael and his fellow cast mates:

It was recently brought to our attention that there were a number of
                    'questionable' Stargate autographs being offered for sale on eBay. Upon further
                    investigation it was determined that the items in question were indeed fake
                    signatures.

Legends Memorabilia has been appointed agents on behalf of Richard Dean
                    Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge with respect to
                    monitoring the Internet for fake autographs. Accordingly, we have established a
                    reporting process with eBay whereby any definitively bogus autographs will be
                    removed from their site. It is through this process that the recently reported
                    fake autographs were removed.

You can read the rest by following the link:
                    Sue

sigpic

Comment

Further news on the issue of autographed photos

Paul Brown of Legends Memorabilia has just sent us the details of a press release/notice that will shortly be circulating to online groups regarding the sale of fake autographed photos of Michael and his fellow cast mates:
                      It was recently brought to our attention that there were a number of 'questionable' Stargate autographs being offered for sale on eBay. Upon further investigation it was determined that the items in question were indeed fake signatures.
                      Legends Memorabilia has been appointed agents on behalf of Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge with respect to monitoring the Internet for fake autographs. Accordingly, we have established a reporting process with eBay whereby any definitively bogus autographs will be removed from their site. It is through this process that the recently reported fake autographs were removed.
                      We shall continue to monitor the Internet for such fake signatures as the Stargate actors wish to ensure that fans do not get duped into buying autographs that are not authentic. We wish to express our thanks to all those persons who brought these 'signatures' to our attention and encourage all fans to alert us to any Stargate autographed photos that you feel may be 'suspect'.
                      At the same time, we caution fans to be extremely careful when purchasing Stargate autographs online as there are many fakes in circulation. Should you wish to purchase a signed Stargate photo, we encourage you to visit www.stargate-autographs.com, which is the exclusive cast-authorized site for the signatures of the actors. For those of you that may not be familiar with this site, it is the venue where the Stargate actors sell their autographs to help raise funds for each of their chosen charities.
                      Please do not hesitate to contact us for the names of authorized dealers/vendors who participate in the Stargate-Autographs.com project.
                      With thanks and regards,
                      Paul Brown
                      President
                      Legends Memorabilia Inc.
                      Sue

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X