X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I'd Like 2 Know but Never Will, Maybe

1. What do Furlings look like?
    2. What's up w/ the giant aliens (Crystal Skull)?
    3. Grace aliens?
    4. Aris Bock (I really dug this dude) What's he up 2?
    5. Where is/are the gate, ZPM, quantum mirror production facility/ies?
    6. What precipitated the dissolution of the Council of 4?
    7. How are the Asgard fairing in their study of pre-historic Asgard man?
    8. Where do space gates get their power? If from plasma trapped in space or solar...What would prevent SG from placing a small gate in space attached to an air-lock and docking colar? Simply dock a jumper, dial home, and go to Earth.

I have many more unanswered questions related to past eps. Enough to warrant continuation of the series for atleast another 10 seasons but, alas, I'll probably never know.

Space gates get their power from the DHD which is being used to dial them. This is why the Gate Bridge will be able to work without having to stick floating DHDs around the gate.

As for the rest, who knows.

sigpic

Comment

Here's one - why didn't the Ancients design a gate bridge themselves at some point? We know that they escaped from one galaxy to another at a few points, but mighten't there have been a few times when intergalactric travel on a regular basis would've been real nice?
      [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

The ancients wouldn't need a gate bridge. With a ZPM they could dial anywhere they wanted.

Unlike us, they never needed to worry about power consumption or locating a new ZPM because they could build them. For us the bridge lets earth get to Pegasus quickly without a ZPM and now it lets us do the same.

sigpic

Comment

I'd think that a gate bridge would beat having to change the batteries every other time you flushed the toilet, though.
          [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

However, a gate bridge takes a much larger amount of resources. I'm also not sure how much intergallactic travel they did once they left MW for Pegasus. It seems like they left MW and stayed gone until they decided to evacuate Atlantis and go back to earth.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
              I'd think that a gate bridge would beat having to change the batteries every other time you flushed the toilet, though.
              Dialing an intergalactic wormhole doesn't even get close to depleting a ZPM. Also, using a bridge, it'd take, what, 30 minutes, 45 minutes to from Pegasus to the Milky Way?

Using a normal gate and the 8th chevron, it takes a few seconds.

Comment

I'd be surprised if it even took 30 to 45 minutes, as gate even using a 7 chevron address from to the furthest place you can go still results in travel taking a fraction of the a second. They should be able to go from gate to another in the normal amount of time it takes to dial a DHD and travel through the gate.

Even doing 15 times shouldn't take no more than 15 minutes, a minute for each trip from gate to eat.

sigpic

Comment

Has it ever been established (or hinted to) how many times you can dial another galaxy with a full ZPM?

Comment

It hasn't been established, but considering a staff weapon's power source allowed a gate to dial another galaxy, if done correctly the drain on the ZPM should be minimal.

It also leaves open the question, why don't they use another power supply like the one O'Neill built to dial pegasus or vice versa.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
                      I'd be surprised if it even took 30 to 45 minutes, as gate even using a 7 chevron address from to the furthest place you can go still results in travel taking a fraction of the a second. They should be able to go from gate to another in the normal amount of time it takes to dial a DHD and travel through the gate.

Even doing 15 times shouldn't take no more than 15 minutes, a minute for each trip from gate to eat.
                      They're travelling through the cold void of space. Pegasus is apparentely located very far away from the Milky Way.

So they have to dial a gate, walk through it, shut it down, dial the next, rinse and repeat.

Unless they post two gates at each post, which they haven't.

Comment

Yes, but they don't need to wait an obscene amount of time for the gate to close, they should go through, it closes and then they can do a quick u-turn and dial again.

traveling from one gate to another should take no more time than than than any other standard gate trip so it should only take a few seconds to dial, go through, turn around, dial and go through and so on and so on.

sigpic

Comment

question - when they abandoned atlantis, why did they decide not to destroy it?

sorry if its answered elsewhere, but i don't think its a common question at least
                          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Actually if you watch the teaser for The Return pt 1, it seems that the Intergalactic Bridge is comprised of two gates at each point, held together with some sort of frame work. Out on gate, into the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper
                              question - when they abandoned atlantis, why did they decide not to destroy it?

sorry if its answered elsewhere, but i don't think its a common question at least
                              The ancients planned to return at some point, but they ascended so they just left it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X