The 'Every Character is named after a famous person' theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'Every Character is named after a famous person' theory

A friend of mine pointed this out to me and I thought this was very intriguing for example John Locke was a 17th century British philospher, Henry Gale was an early 20th century astro physicist and Henry Gale is also the name of a portrait painted by Faber.
    James Ford (Sawyer's real name) was a famous mafia type don living in early 19th century Illinois and take your pick with Sawyer. Proberly the most interesting Sawyer is a sci fi author named Robert J Sawyer also there is Tom Sawyer a character created by Mark Twain.

This may have been discussed before........

Anyways ther are loads of connections between famous people and lost (there are also many connections between the Wizard of Oz and Lost too but that is for another thread).
    Some of the easy ones to spot out are John Locke and Rousseau two famous philosophers who worked on the concept of Tabula Rasa (coincidentally the name of an season 1 episode).
    Then you have all the relations to Sawyer. too. I think There is a big list of this all somewhere....
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
      This may have been discussed before........
      ..............There is a big list of this all somewhere....
      This is fascinating!! Please post the link if you find it!

AT
      thistledown
      sigpic

Comment

[Desmond] David Hume was a Scottish Philosopher who was inspired by John Locke

Jean-Jacques [Danielle] Rousseau was, as stated a Philosopher.

Henry Gale was, besides being in Wizard of Oz, was an American Astrophysicist & Author (as stated) , but I think Lost Focus's on WoO Character.

Not to sure, but Daniel Boone was 'was an American pioneer and hunter whose frontier exploits made him one of the first folk heroes of the United States.' Sounds Like our Boone, Explorer & Hunter of the Island...

Thomas Werner Mittlewerk is named after:
        Originally posted by Lostpedia
        Mittelwerk was a large underground facility built by the Nazis that was staffed with prisoners transferred from concentration camps. The conditions were horrific and thousands of prisoners died due to malnutrition, disease, exhaustion or hanging (by camp guards). The site is where Hitler ordered the V-2 missile to be built, it being the first missile or vehicle to pass the sound barrier.

Mittelwerk can be translated as "central work," perhaps indicating his importance in The Hanso Foundation.

Hanso is
        The name "Hanso" is likely spelled "Hansø" in Danish. The literal translation of "hans ø" from Danish is "his island".

Possibly named after Hans Ørsted, a Danish physicist and chemist whose discoveries inspired the development of electromagnetic theory and the ØRSTED satellite.

The name "Hanso" and the fact he was a weapons manufacturer may be a reference to legendary Japanese swordsmith Hattori Hanzo.

Magnus Hanso, Alvar's Ancestor & mentioned on the Blast Door alongside the Black Rock is interesting too:
        "Magnus Hanso's name gives us another reason to suspect a link between Hanso and the DeGroots: through Albertus Magnus, the German philosopher. Interestingly, Magnus' surname is a Latin form of the surname de Groot (both mean "the great" in their respective languages: Latin & Dutch). Magnus was one of the greatest alchemists of all time, being the discoverer of the Philosopher's Stone (which would explain the Life Extension Project and the creator of a supernatural device:

An automaton which he named Android: Using the "...angels from the netherworld..." and the powers of the philosophers stone he created the "metals and material unknown to this world..." and chose them "according to the stars and planets...". The android was instilled with the powers of speech, thought, and according to some reports a SOUL. Upon completion of this project, his student St. Thomas, destroyed the "diabolic being" and denounced it as "...a tool of satan and a blasphemy to God. -- This Android could be linked to The Security System.
        St. Thomas being Thomas Mittlewerk?
        Last edited by The Prophet; 19 September 2006, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thistledown
          This is fascinating!! Please post the link if you find it!

AT
          Yeah sorry about that. I spend alot of time on other LOST forums aswqell as this one and I get confuzed .

Comment

The Lost fandom is the best at compiling lists for stuff. Just the best.
            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

there was one list I saw connecting Lost to Peter Pan as Osiris said Lost is brillinyt for compiling lists.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet;5820175[QUOTE
                The name "Hanso" and the fact he was a weapons manufacturer may be a reference to legendary Japanese swordsmith Hattori Hanzo.
                Isn't Hattori Hanzo a fictional character?

Nvm, apparently he's a real person.
                Last edited by jds1982; 14 October 2006, 05:41 PM.
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Hi guys! This is an awesome thread we got here! I knew the obvious ones like Locke, Hume, and Rosseau but thanks for Darhma and the others! Way to go.
                  Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
                  ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
                  <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

[QUOTE=jds1982;5905358][QUOTE=The Prophet;5820175

Isn't Hattori Hanzo a fictional character?

Nvm, apparently he's a real person.[/QUOTE]

I thought he was a movie character from the 70s that Tarentino, put in Kill Bill

: Green is Good.
                    sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

i always think of Jack O'neill + John Shepard = jack shepard

Comment

[QUOTE=Cap116;5963883]
                        Originally posted by jds1982 View Post

I thought he was a movie character from the 70s that Tarentino, put in Kill Bill
                        He was, but that character was based on a real person.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Nick-J View Post
                          i always think of Jack O'neill + John Shepard = jack shepard
                          That one has been bugging me since I saw the pilot.

Comment

Oh good! It's not just me! I noticed the name thing after Rousseau showed up. (I had just taught a lesson to my History class on the philosophers that week in fact.) I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is named after someone else and their name has something to do with their past, why they're on the island, etc.
                            sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

Here's this: http://silverchips.mbhs.edu/inside.php?sid=6943

I also found this: http://lost-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16099

It's not about them being named after people, but they are some interesting theories as well.
                              Last edited by M2W; 23 November 2006, 09:56 AM.
                              sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

Working...
                              X