This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistencies

I'm noticing a lot of inconsistencies in Stargate now...

For one... the puddle jumpers... how come they aren't equiped with hyperdrives? I mean, if the relatively small F-302 can create a hyperspace window, why can't the bigger, more advanced puddle jumper? After all, it is Atlantian technology, which is infinitely superior to the reverse-engineered little F-302.

Also... the stargate "highway" that they're implementing to be able to reach earth without the ZPM, what is powering these gates... and without a large body like a planet... what address would these gates have? It was established in SG-1 that they can't use a stargate unless it was near the proximity of a planet. They also show that the chevrons represent stars in the galaxy and through that, the gates can orient themselves.

And if each gate or planet has its own unique "origin" symbol, why not use those symbols instead of six chevrons?

Additionally, what about the Atlantian replicators? It's obvious that the Ancients dealt with them before, otherwise O'neill couldn't have dug up the schematics for the weapon that disrupted the replicators' links. Wouldn't this weapon have COMPLETELY eraticated the replicators when the Atlantians decided to destroy them?

Also, the code that prevents the replicators from killing Ancients... how would it work exactly? It's not as if the replicators can immediately know if someone is an ancient? If it were merely the case of detecting the ATA gene, then wouldn't that mean they couldn't hurt Shepard or McKay?

If your referring to the hot zone virus, then it did detect the ata gene in mckay which is why he didn't go all mental and die.

Comment

The PJ's have hyperdrives, they're just very slow compared to the Asgard's.

Comment

Originally posted by feifei

For one... the puddle jumpers... how come they aren't equiped with hyperdrives? I mean, if the relatively small F-302 can create a hyperspace window, why can't the bigger, more advanced puddle jumper? After all, it is Atlantian technology, which is infinitely superior to the reverse-engineered little F-302.

Also... the stargate "highway" that they're implementing to be able to reach earth without the ZPM, what is powering these gates... and without a large body like a planet... what address would these gates have? It was established in SG-1 that they can't use a stargate unless it was near the proximity of a planet. They also show that the chevrons represent stars in the galaxy and through that, the gates can orient themselves.

And if each gate or planet has its own unique "origin" symbol, why not use those symbols instead of six chevrons?

Additionally, what about the Atlantian replicators? It's obvious that the Ancients dealt with them before, otherwise O'neill couldn't have dug up the schematics for the weapon that disrupted the replicators' links. Wouldn't this weapon have COMPLETELY eraticated the replicators when the Atlantians decided to destroy them?

Also, the code that prevents the replicators from killing Ancients... how would it work exactly? It's not as if the replicators can immediately know if someone is an ancient? If it were merely the case of detecting the ATA gene, then wouldn't that mean they couldn't hurt Shepard or McKay?
        None of those are inconsistencies.

1) The Hyperdrives -
        Puddle Jumpers are gate flyers, not space flyers. They arnt meant to go deep space or fight. Simple people carriers. The hyperdrive was never needed.
        Taur'a put the hyperdrives on their F-302s for tactical use - they were the underdogs and needed a BIG advantage.

2) Space Bridge
        Firstly the DHD on the Puddle Jumper would most likely power the Stargates. As for no point of origin - we don't know yet. But im pretty sure the writers arnt going to go frick the whole idea up.
        The gate doesnt need to be near a planet - but simply in the proximity of the address being dialed.

3) Asuran/Replicatars
        THERE NOT THE SAME FRICKING THINGS!
        O'neill used Ancient knowlege to build a weapon - not used a pre-made weapon.
        MILKYWAY GALAXY/ASGARD = Kiron based replicator blocks. We have no idea of the Asurans work on the same principle and it would be STUPID to assume that.

4) ATA + Ancientness
        Just because you have a certain gene doesnt mean your an Ancient.
        Just because you wear a generals uniform, does that make you a General? no.
        People with the ATA gene are just 'advanced'/privelidged.
        Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Its because the ancients designed them to go through the gate. They were never meant to be used for long journeys through space.

Im only speculating, but im pretty sure they could program the gates to dial only the gates they want. They could just reprogram the gate so that it recognises the next gate in the line and so on. They could just make up the address by coordinating the gates location.

Im pretty sure that the symbols on the gate are only representations of the actual coordinate data that is stored within the gate (or dhd) itself. Therefore, im pretty sure that these coordinates could be changed even though the symbols remain the same.

Because then you would only be able to dial 36 or 39 (i forget how many symbols are on the gate) planets from your gate. The six chevrons determine where you are going and the seventh detrmines where your coming from.

Good point. If you watched 'Prodegy' it seemed as if the ancients were using drones or some other weapon to destroy the replicator civilisation instead of using the weapon jack used. I dont know why they wouldnt have used a weapon like the one jack used, maybe they thought the drones would do a good enough job. They were arrogant after all.

You also have to remember that jack designed and built that weapon from the ancient info he had in his head. He didnt have the specs for that weapon but he knew how the replicators were created which allowed him to design a weapon that would stop them.

I think everything ive said is correct. If it isnt, anyone feel free to correct me.

Hope this helps!
          sigpic
          By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
            2) Space Bridge
            Firstly the DHD on the Puddle Jumper would most likely power the Stargates. As for no point of origin - we don't know yet. But im pretty sure the writers arnt going to go frick the whole idea up.
            The gate doesnt need to be near a planet - but simply in the proximity of the address being dialed.
            I fail to see how the Puddle Jumper's DHD could power up a bunch of Stargates going all the way to another galaxy. To power a stable wormhole between Pegasus & the Milky Way, a ZPM was required. So I would think that the cumulative energy required to power this "highway" of Stargates should also require an equivalent power source to a ZPM.
            4) ATA + Ancientness
            Just because you have a certain gene doesnt mean your an Ancient.
            Just because you wear a generals uniform, does that make you a General? no.
            People with the ATA gene are just 'advanced'/privelidged.
            'Feifei' wasn't questioning whether McKay or Sheppard were Ancient or not, the question was, how could the Asurans distinguish between Ancient and Non-Ancient, since it clearly can't be the ATA gene. If you think it's ATA + 'Ancientness', then explain how the Asurans are able to detect this 'Ancientness'...
            sigpic

Comment

^ On the intergalactic bridge, they are activating each gate separately.
              E.g activate gate 1, enter gate 1, exit gate one, activate gate 2, enter gate 2, exit gate 2 etc. It'll just be like stepping through the gate in the SGC and exiting on any planet with a gate.

On your 2nd point there, no where in progeny did I hear them say anything about detecting ancient and non-ancient.

In most cases the ata gene is only present in a handful of people naturally like O'neill and sheppard, hence direct descendants of the ancients.
              Others with the ata gene have had gene therapy like mckay.
              Their lineage would trace back to the weapon on dakara being used, when the ancients used it to spread humanity through the galaxy.
              I have a theory about sheppard's abnormal power to use ancient tech. Basically I think both his parents had the gene (carriers of the gene) and when both came together the whole ata gene was completed. Probably wrong but possible, I'm not a biologist.

Comment

Been explained well enough already.

The stargates use a virtual pan-galactic grid coordinate system, that does not require any actual celestial object to be present in a targeted area. Stargates need neither planets or stars to establish a lock. A stargate is usually located around these objects because it is convienent, and much more logical than gating to 'nowhere'. Addresses for each stargate would be calculated on known virtual coordinate points, which would direct the wormhole to the vicinity of the destination gate. It has NOT been established that a stargate needs to be near a planet to work. They don't. Nor do the chevrons represent stars. Supposedly, they represented constellations (not the same as stars) in the movie, but this is inconsistent with what we know about astronomy and astrocartography. It is far more likely (for plot purposes) that the constellations created by the ancient human's imaginations were based on the cheverons of the stargate instead. This is more likely because those same symbols were on the Antartic stargate which was dated as being around 50 Million years old, and the stars in the night sky would look nothing like they do now.

The reason they don't use the unique Point of Origin symbols on each gate is because there are potentially many thousands of stargates, and there are only 38 symbols to choose from on the stargate. Also, the Point of Origin symbol does NOT store the address of the outgoing gate. That is ridiculous. If you move the gate, how do you propose that the so-called 'stored' address of the outgoing gate would be changed to the new address? It doesn't work that way. Point of Origin symbols are activation keys, not much more than that. They tell the stargate that is being manually dialed that an address has been completely dialed and that it is time activate the stargate.

Not necessarily, but we need more info before we make any more assumptions. There are plenty of missing details to be answered before any of that can be considered factual. Until then, it is only speculation.

Perhaps the other elements of advanced physiology are the true indicators of what allows an Asuran to determine who is 'Ancient' and who is not. I doubt the ATA gene was the only distinguishing factor. Advanced brain physiology is probably one give away for who are ancients, and who are humans. However, this has never been clarified either, so it could be something else too. Who knows?

(edit: Mispelling)
                Last edited by Seastallion; 17 September 2006, 05:33 PM.
                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet
                  ^ On the intergalactic bridge, they are activating each gate separately.
                  E.g activate gate 1, enter gate 1, exit gate one, activate gate 2, enter gate 2, exit gate 2 etc. It'll just be like stepping through the gate in the SGC and exiting on any planet with a gate.
                  Yes, but the cumulative amount of energy required to create & exit multiple short wormholes all the way to the Milky Way galaxy should still require the equivalent amount of energy as creating a single wormhole straight to another galaxy, should it not?
                  sigpic

Comment

Not really because the only energy required would be to open a gate separately. It would be far less to hold a wormhole open for 2 seconds over a distance of 100,000 light years than to hold it open for several seconds over the distance of pegasus to earth, thats why in the atlantis/earth case the zpm is needed and why the intergalactic case, a zpm isn't needed.
                    Tiny bursts compared to one long one and since PJs seem to have unlimited power to power gates in a galaxy, there is no reason the bridge wouldn't work.

Comment

Also, keep in mind that all the stargates in the Space Bridge are spacegates from the Pegasus Galaxy each having its own onboard powersupply and position stabilizers. As far as the traveller on the Space Bridge is concerned they will have only made one short trip all the way across from their perspective. The bridge will utilize a modified 'call-forwarding' program, from the stargate they found on Anubis planet in 'Prototype'. In other words, the travellers will not be materialized until they get all the way across the bridge. The stargates will pass on their patterns one to the next, like a bucket-brigade line, until they reach the final gate in the bridge. So even though 30 minutes or so will have passed in real time, from the perspective of the travellers only a few seconds will have passed. The stargate on Earth is capable of establishing a wormhole that can reach the far edge of the galaxy without any additional power. The Space Bridge will simply do that same operation, only about 30 times at least, to cross the void between the two galaxies.
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                        Also, keep in mind that all the stargates in the Space Bridge are spacegates from the Pegasus Galaxy each having its own onboard powersupply and position stabilizers. As far as the traveller on the Space Bridge is concerned they will have only made one short trip all the way across from their perspective. The bridge will utilize a modified 'call-forwarding' program, from the stargate they found on Anubis planet in 'Prototype'. In other words, the travellers will not be materialized until they get all the way across the bridge. The stargates will pass on their patterns one to the next, like a bucket-brigade line, until they reach the final gate in the bridge. So even though 30 minutes or so will have passed in real time, from the perspective of the travellers only a few seconds will have passed. The stargate on Earth is capable of establishing a wormhole that can reach the far edge of the galaxy without any additional power. The Space Bridge will simply do that same operation, only about 30 times at least, to cross the void between the two galaxies.
                        While I agree that this would be the most efficient way to do this, I'm curious if you have any proof of this, or if it's just speculation on your part. I don't remember them saying anything about call-forwarding when they brought up the intergalactic bridge, so if it's just speculation you may want to say it's just speculation.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

about oneill and the replicator disruptor..
                          I doubt the Asurans work the same way but anyway..
                          oneill's mind was linked to the computer of thor's ship
                          presumably that's how he learned what he needed about the replicators
                          now combine that with ancient knowledge and the fact that the asgard
                          have "explored such a technology in the past with no success"
                          that should be enough to build the disruptor

Originally posted by Seastallion
                          The bridge will utilize a modified 'call-forwarding' program, from the stargate they found on Anubis planet in 'Prototype'.
                          that's a brilliant idea!
                          I just wish you'd use a spoiler tag (if its actually a spoiler) (don't tell me if it is )

Comment

for one they used pjs with the stargates.

the asurans are the progenitor to the replicators which were damn near indestructible. asuran replicators are suseptible to ronons guns somewhat
                            A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

On the Galactic Bridge project, I'm assuming Carter is writing a completely new OS for the gate probably based on the works of Felger's Avenger virus and Baal's multi-gate dialing program, and possibly the program Baal created to thwart Avenger. It's obvious that they can rewrite stargate code fairly easily now. Baal was going to create a completely separate gate network inaccessible to the rest of the gates. Surely we can do the same.

As for powering the gates, it was said they will be refitted for space use. They would need stabilizers of some sort to keep them from drifting and it would be smart if they each had an automated Iris or Iris field so the logical choice for power is to put a regular Naquadah generator in one of the pods.

Isn't it now standard procedure for the FRED vehicle to carry a Naquadah generator in case the SG-team needs to manually dial a gate with a broken DHD?

Comment

Working...
                              X