X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatest Sci-fi/Fantasy Hero Tournament

PLEASE READ!

Who is the best hero ever to appear in Sci-Fi or Fantasy, be it a movie or a television show. Is it an indevidual like Luke Sywalker, or maybe a group like the Justice League, lets find out!

The Tournament will run as follows

Stage One (Round Zero) Three Days of voting for your favourite heroes, anyone with 3 votes ges through to the next Stage. Everyone gets ten votes, and those are for the three days. Once we have a list of 50 heroes we move onto:

Stage Two (Round One - Final Round)
    We vote for the heroes we like the least, knocking one out per day until we have a winner! (This stage will begin once I finish the "Greatest Villain Tournament", which will probably be about Wednesday)

NOTE: In order to make your cotes count, check through other peoples votes (and my occasional updates) to check to see if someone is already trough, otherwise you are wasting a vote.

NOTE 2: Please, to make everyone's life easier, tell us, no matter how obvious it seems, where the heroes comes from, their show/movie etc

EXTRA RULES
    1. As with my other tournements, no heroes from the Stargate franchise are permitted
    2. Anti Heroes ARE permitted
    Last edited by The Signal; 15 September 2006, 09:25 AM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Current List Of Heroes
    1. Han Solo

OUT!
    61st: Anakin Skywalker
    60th: Dana Scully
    59th: Harry Potter
    58th: Arthur Dent
    57th: Lt. Felix Gaeta
    56th: Inigo Montoya
    55th: Jayne Cobb
    54th: Kaylee Frye
    53rd: Marty McFly
    52nd: Buck Rodgers
    51st: V
    50th: Vincent
    49th: Turanga Leela
    48th: The Crew Of The Battlestar Gallactica
    47th: Ker Avon
    46th: Fox Mulder
    45th: X-men
    44th: Colonel Tigh
    43rd: Yoda
    42nd: Major Kira
    41st: River Tam
    40/39th: Nightcrawler
    40/39thSimon Tam
    38th: Hoban "Wash" Washburne
    37th:O'Brien
    36th: Apollo/Lee Adama
    35th: Superman
    34th Rogue
    33rd: Neo
    32nd: Zoe Washburne
    31st: Kosh Naranek
    30th: Professor Charles Xavier
    29th: Sam Beckett
    28th: Eowyn
    27th: Spike
    26th: Storm
    25th: Wolverine
    24th/23rd: Batman
    24th/23rd: Captain James T. Kirk
    22nd: Jean Grey
    21st: Starbuck (Kara Thrace)
    20th: Commander Susan Ivanova
    19th: Ellen Ripley
    18th/17th: Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    18th/17th: G'Kar
    16th: Spiderman
    15th: Angel
    14th: Ambassador Delenn
    13th: Benjamin Sisko
    12th: John Sheridan
    11th: Malcolm Reynolds
    10th: Buffy Summers
    ~9th: Princess Leia
    ~8th: Commander William Adama
    ~7th: John Crichton
    ~6th: Indiana Jones

The Best

5th: The Doctor
    4th: Aragorn
    3rd: Obi-Wan Kenobi
    2nd: Luke Skywalker

And the Winner is:

Han Solo
    Last edited by The Signal; 01 December 2006, 08:15 AM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

Round Zero - Day One

Han Solo (Star Wars)
      Batman (Batman Franchise)
      Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)
      V (V for Vendetta)
      The Doctor (Doctor Who)

Comment

1. Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark)
        2. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
        3. Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek)

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

WOOHOO! Another tourney! I had forgot you were going to do this.

Round Zero - Day One

Han Solo (second vote)
          The Doctor (second vote)
          Anakin Skywalker (Star Wars)
          Luke Skywalker (second vote)
          Angel (Buffy: TVS and Angel) Hero and/or Anti-hero?
          Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 15 September 2006, 10:18 AM. Reason: changed Vader to Anakin Skywalker
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Yay, new tourny. Thanks Ptah

Round Zero

Neo (The Matrix)
            Malcom Reynolds (Firefly) (SECOND VOTE)
            Kaylee Frye (Firefly)
            Jayne Cobb (Firefly)
            The crew of the Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica TNS)

It's OK to nominate the crew of the Serenity and the Battlestar Galactica individually and as a group, right?

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
            As for the crews of BSG and Serenity, I'd say keep Serenity as indeviduals, but BSG as the whole crew.
            Sure, thanks
            Last edited by Wraith Scientist; 16 September 2006, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
              Darth Vader (Star Wars) Anti-hero maybe?
              More of a tragic hero, but a hero nontheless, though if you don't mind, I'll list him as "Anakin Skywalker"

Angel (Buffy: TVS and Angel) Hero and/or Anti-hero?
              Just a regular hero really, there was that one point in S2 (with Darla), and another in S3 (with Wes) of Angel when he went more "Anti-hero" but by S4 he was back to hero again, wow, Joss sure can write 'em lol

As for the crews of BSG and Serenity, I'd say keep Serenity as indeviduals, but BSG as the whole crew.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                More of a tragic hero, but a hero nontheless, though if you don't mind, I'll list him as "Anakin Skywalker"
                Yup, that's fine. I'll edit my first post. Thanks.

Just a regular hero really, there was that one point in S2 (with Darla), and another in S3 (with Wes) of Angel when he went more "Anti-hero" but by S4 he was back to hero again, wow, Joss sure can write 'em lol
                LOL I know, that's what had me thinking, 'cos he is a reformed vampire with the potential to turn evil again. I actually prefer anti-heroes to the straight-cut good guy.
                "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Round Zero

#1 John Crichton (Farscape)
                  #2 Malcom Reynolds (Firefly) <-----3rd vote. He is now through.
                  #3 Jayne Cobb (Firefly) <------2nd vote.
                  #4 T-800 (Terminator 2: Judgement Day)
                  #5 Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
                  Last edited by LoneStar1836; 15 September 2006, 12:05 PM.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                    I actually prefer anti-heroes to the straight-cut good guy.
                    So do I, some heroes are too perfect for me (Superman for example) I like a grittier character, ie. Batman or Angel

Comment

1) I'll cast the 3rd vote for Han Solo (Star Wars)
                      2) 2nd vote for Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark [assuming those movies count as sci-fi/fantasy])
                      3) 2nd vote for Captain Kirk (Star Trek)

Boy, I'm having trouble thinking of heroes. I'll have to mull this over and get back to you.

Comment

All right, I thought of 4 more

4) Fox Mulder (X-Files)
                        5) Dana Scully (X-Files----Where would Mulder be without her)
                        6) Princess Leia (Star Wars----much tougher and cooler than her Mom!!)
                        7) Turanga Leela (Futurama----One-eyed, funny, tough and smart)

Can you tell I'm trying to get some ladies into the fray?

Comment

Thank you for selecting the BSG as a crew- too painful to pick and choose!

1. Ellen Ripley- Alien movies
                          2. The Crew of the Battlestar Galactica- Battlestar Galactica TNS 2nd vote
                          3. President Laura Roslin- Battlestar Galactica TNS
                          4. Princess Leia- Star Wars 2nd vote
                          5. Cordelia Chase- Angel
                          6. Angel- Angel 2nd vote
                          7. Zoe Washburne- Firefly

Following Callista's trend.

Comment

4. X-Men

Do they count as a group, or do you want them indvidually listed?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

My top ten:

1. Warrant Officer Ellen Ripley (Alien franchise) (2nd vote) (Icon)
                              2. Commander John Crichton (Farscape) (2nd vote) (One of the few SF heroes to react to first contact by going all-out, jumping-flea crazy)
                              3. Arthur Dent (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) (Understood the importance of tea)
                              4. Eowyn (Lord of the Rings) (not as good as in the books, but I still want to know what ****** would pick the elf?)
                              5. Kerr Avon (Blake's 7) (the finest ******* the genre has ever produced)
                              6. The Doctor (Doctor Who) (3rd vote) (...I mean, The Doctor, right?)
                              7. Sapphire and Steel (Sapphire and Steel) (as a double act, of course)
                              8. Professor Bernard Quatermass (Quatermass Franchise) (one for the straightforward scientists)
                              9. Romanaveloratrelunda (Doctor Who/Gallifrey) (proof that The Doctor isn't the only Time Lord capable of kissing arse and taking names)
                              10. Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride) (because fantasy is getting short shrift thus far)

My obligatory Joss Whedon vote (although I tend to feel he writes better characters than your actual heroes) would have gone to Melaka Fray, but you stipulated movies and TV. Likewise Hester Shaw, my favourite sociopath, has to take a back seat and spectate, along with Iorek Byrnison and Taran the pig keeper (because I refuse to vote in the Taran from the Disney version of The Book of Three, so confusingly dubbed The Black Cauldron).
                              Last edited by Mr Prophet; 16 September 2006, 12:08 AM.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                              X