Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the retrovirus suddenly work and then not work (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does the retrovirus suddenly work and then not work (Spoilers)

In the episode "Instinct" where the retro-virus was introduced, Illia use the virus on herself, and granted it worked in reverse, but when Sheppard and his team captured the hiveship in "No Man's Land," the queen was immune.

What happened here? If Illia wasn't immune, why was the queen?

When Illia took it, the virus was in a very early stage of development and it's effects were completely unpredictable, thats assuming it would have worked at all.

Since then, male DNA and subjects have been used to test it and it's possible it's been coded to be a male wraith virus, or it's just that the women are just so different genetically when compared to the males

sigpic

Comment

Actually, the Queen's face was all messed up....maybe she was mutating?
      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by startrekker
        In the episode "Instinct" where the retro-virus was introduced, Illia use the virus on herself, and granted it worked in reverse, but when Sheppard and his team captured the hiveship in "No Man's Land," the queen was immune.

As you said, it didn't "work" on Ellia. Although the retrovirus didn't turn the queen human, it seemed to harm her. Plus, Ellia was a child, so her immunity to it may have been different.

Comment

whjat they said
          A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
            I think that can be explained by Seinfeld's theory of the "twoface". It's a well documented phenomenon with Wraith women.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyFox
              whjat they said
              Ya, that pretty much sums it up.
              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by startrekker

A couple of reasons, she wasn't a queen as far as we knew. She was only a child plus more importantly the retro-virus was still in it's early stages at that point. Between 'Instinct' & 'No Mans Land' there was a period of just over 6 months or so. So Beck obviously had a gfood deal of time to properly refine it.

However more importantly, they referenced exactly this question in 'NML' itself. Right after they shoot her, McKay says about Beck wondering if it had any effect on the Queens. So obviously Queens are far more stronger & resiliant than ordinary Wraith.

Couple all that together & you get your answer!

Comment

Becuse Beckett was doing something whay out of his level of knowlage,And he should have exprimented more with it first.(i love beckett more then anyone just so ya know)
                  -Wolfie GO WRAITH!

Comment

Well, given that Beckett's job is in gene therapy, I don't think he was doing something way out of his knowledge.

Gene therapy is perhaps the single most effective medical wave of the future, far better than these stem cell issues.
                    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                      When Ellia took it, the virus was in a very early stage of development and it's effects were completely unpredictable, thats assuming it would have worked at all.

Since then, male DNA and subjects have been used to test it and it's possible it's been coded to be a male wraith virus, or it's just that the women are just so different genetically when compared to the males
                      Originally posted by TheUnknown View Post
                      As you said, it didn't "work" on Ellia. Although the retrovirus didn't turn the queen human, it seemed to harm her.
                      Maybe one of the reason Ellia mutated was because she's female. I mean, I know the retroviris was still in it's experimental stage, but what if the reason she reacted so badly was cause she's female. If she was male would it have happened the same way?
                      Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                      It kind of looks that way. Just the side of her face. But the lights kinda blue-ish so you can't really tell if she's mutating like Ellia did.

Originally posted by TheUnknown View Post
                      As you said, it didn't "work" on Ellia. Although the retrovirus didn't turn the queen human, it seemed to harm her.
                      Yeah, she seemed kind of dazed when Lorne and Sheppard first found her.
                      sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
                      "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
                      My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Spacegirlnz View Post
                        It kind of looks that way. Just the side of her face. But the lights kinda blue-ish so you can't really tell if she's mutating like Ellia did.
                        It's just the lighting. She looked awful in the lighting of the hiveship period. This is what I was talking about with the Seinfeld twoface thing. The wraith women are like that.

You can get this

Or this

out of the same one.

Bad lighting on the porch indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                          I must of missed that part.Why would it just mutate her and not anyone else
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliHawk View Post
                            I must of missed that part.Why would it just mutate her and not anyone else
                            Well look at what happened to the male crew, they mutated back into humans, so her mutating, but not so effectively was possible.

However, Wasn't it stated that Beckett didn't think it would work on Wraith females? I can't actually say I saw her mutate, plus with Beckett's believe it wouldn't work on her, it gives the impression it was more of bad lighting than na actual transformation.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              Well look at what happened to the male crew, they mutated back into humans, so her mutating, but not so effectively was possible.

However, Wasn't it stated that Beckett didn't think it would work on Wraith females? I can't actually say I saw her mutate, plus with Beckett's believe it wouldn't work on her, it gives the impression it was more of bad lighting than na actual transformation.
                              I kind of think it was probably the lighting as well.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X