This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not use Metal Storm?

Metal Storm is a new tech the military is using, it loads the rounds behind eachother instead of a clip and uses a computer chip to ignite making it much MUCH fast, I believe they (Discovery Channel) said it can fire 100,000,000 rounds every few seconds...why not use that one our ships?
    McKay:...ZedPM
    O'Neill: Zed?
    Jackson: He's Canadian
    O'Neill: I'm sorry

I did wonder about this, i knew of the technology but i cant think where it would be usefull...Our ground troops have morethan enough firepower and while it being a good technology with 100million rounds a minute being fired i just think it would be an excuse for overkill.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

I remember seeing something on TV about this once, where they actually demonstrated it on a smaller scale. I think they had about a dozen or so tubes, each one filled with a row of bullets. Every bullet in every tube was fired at once doing much more damage that a single burst of fire.

Although 1,000,000 rounds is impressive, I don't think it's ever been proved that it can fire that any rounds. It also seems like a waste of rounds when damage can be done with less rounds from a heavy machine gun. It's also nothing something SG units can carry around so I think perhaps doing double, triple or even quadruple barrel rail guns which fire similtaniously could be a better solution when doing more damage at the same rate of fire.

sigpic

Comment

100 million rounds every few seconds? How on earth are you going to carry enough ammo to last in a fire fight? If you miss your target, you essentially screwed.

If you hit your target, well there probably won't be much left of it, that's for sure.

Comment

they should use it for the daedalus against darts but i dont really no anything on this tech
          would it fire at mach 5 rate of speed???
          sigpic

Comment

It would be good if they can lowe the ammo usage.
            From 100m to lets say 500/sec
            So they could use it as automatic defense that uses transmitter to see whos friendly.
            Or offensive on malps...
            Like sending malp throught a gate that is guarded.
            It comes throught and starts shooting right after its out of the gate.

Comment

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough...I ment use them on our ships
              McKay:...ZedPM
              O'Neill: Zed?
              Jackson: He's Canadian
              O'Neill: I'm sorry

Comment

but the malp idea is a good one! i could see that working, if they spread the feild of fire 360 degrees around the malp by placing a tube every degree with say 10 bullets in each. thats more than enough to take out a gate gaurd.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Metal Storm still uses conventional gunpowder charges. The rail guns can fire extremely fast, but more importantly, the projectiles go much faster.
                  "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

How would we ever carry enough ammunition to make this worth it. We could pound one ship for a few seconds and then run dry, what would be the point of that?

No advanced races use projectile weapons for a reason. We need energy weapons. Period.
                    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

you cant use gunpowder in space, so it would only work on planets

No oxygen = No explosion = your screwed
                      Under the Ice of Antarctica....
                      O'Neill: I cant go on....
                      Carter: You spent 7 Years on MacGyver and you cant figure this one out. We got belt buckles, and shoelaces and a piece of gum build me a Nuclear reactor for crying out loud. You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimik but now your Mister MacUseless.

Comment

Daedalus uses rail guns and there would be billions of rounds aboard and they would be small to fit more in.

Comment

What a coincidence. I used to know the guy who invented the Metal Storm System. He was in the year above me in High School. He told me the only problem with the million-a-minute system is that he couldn't design an ammo clip big enough to hold a million rounds LMAO.
                          Sometimes the truth........
                          Spoiler:

..........Is stranger than fiction.
                          Click Here>>>>>>My Myspace Page<<<<<<<Click Here

Losing people sucks but......"It is foolish and pointless to mourn the men who have died. Rather we should rejoice that such men lived."
                          - General George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Star Fox
                            you cant use gunpowder in space, so it would only work on planets

No oxygen = No explosion = your screwed
                            Actually, you can. Gunpowder contains an oxydizer.

Comment

Originally posted by All hail the USAF
                              Metal Storm is a new tech the military is using, it loads the rounds behind eachother instead of a clip and uses a computer chip to ignite making it much MUCH fast, I believe they (Discovery Channel) said it can fire 100,000,000 rounds every few seconds...why not use that one our ships?
                              I think your 100 million is over shooting it, but yes, Metal Storm would be a huge tactical asset, especially against s that have telekinesis. Unless they can turn back that much kinetic energy, in whcih case, SGC forces are boned.
                              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                              The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                              A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                              That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                              Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                              Caboose: They could be worse?
                              Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                              X