No announcement yet.

The Return, Part 1 (310)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was interesting. Oddly enough what most interested me was their defying orders and hurting people at the SGC. I hope they don't go and reward their choice when they win later. It would be interesting to see John lose his position as military leader and have to take orders from someone else.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I missed part of the episode (but will catch the rest later), but all I could think of was "So when did Linea/Ke'ra become an ancient?"
      No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Really good episode. Brutal to be left hanging, but I thought they were clicking on all cylinders and I really look forward to the second part.

I'm very thankful also, like someone above me, that these were real Ancients and our heroes weren't made total fools of again.
        Theoretically spoilerish:
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

very good episode.
          http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

I liked the episode quite a bit, but I didn't believe the "Ancients" were really Ancients. I think its a trick by the Replicators.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Hmm. The best part of this ep was all the off-duty stuff and team bonding moments. Although given some of the rumors circulating, Carson's "Goodbye, Rodney" gave me an unpleasant case of the jeebies.

The scene with Lee was kinda sad and embarrassing. The whole ubergeek thing gets done to death with every other scientist, why Lee too?

That whole sneaking around, gaining access and preparing to storm the castle steal a jumper and head back to Pegasus was good, but I spent the whole time thinking, "This is classic SG-1!" I don't want to be thinking SG-1 when I'm watching Atlantis, regardless of the setting. I want to think, "This is classic Atlantis!" because- get this- that's the show I'm trying to watch! *sigh*

I love Carson. I really do. He's never been one of my favorites, but every time TPTB actually let the poor bugger out of whatever dank dark cell they keep him in, I love him to pieces. More so now than ever. All those lovely little touches that make him so Carson. Simply wonderful.

Shep having trouble with his "new team" was predictible and put me immediately in mind of Jack's attempts to find a "socio-political geek" at the beginning of S6. Right down to the "replacements" being accident-prone idiots. *sigh* It'd have been a lot more interesting if the bonding was going well and Shep was fitting into the scene. He could still have resentment and the nagging sense that things aren't as good as they could be, but he could still manage. I'd rather see that than some sitcom moment. And it'd have made Shep's later zatting of Doofus #1 a more interesting scene than "you're an idiot and I feel no guilt over zatting you and stuffing you in a weapons locker."

Weir's reaction to being back on Earth was... good. I kinda like that side of her and she looked positively human for the first time in a long time. Not a puppet, not a figurehead, but an actual flesh-and-blood human being. I wish we could see more of that. Maybe it really IS just the hair thing.... HOWEVER, while her puddling-around-the-apartment scene was good and led to the WONDERFUL intervention by Carson (have I mentioned I love him?) I wonder how things would have played out if she, too, had settled in and moved on. I can understand why she didn't, I guess, and I suppose it fits with her character. I just hope she doesn't come off as being pathetic. I'm not a big fan of Weir as she's currently being written (*stabs pins in her PTB voodoo dolls*) but part of the problem is that I really like Torri and I hate to see her character being mistreated. I hope that's not what's happening here. Again.

Hated Jack. Sorry, but I did. He's not fun anymore. He comes across (to me, anyway) as stilted and out of place and not really "there." His presence also screamed stuntcasting.

Didn't think much of the Ancients, not that we saw much of them. I did wonder if they were really Ancients or if it was all some Replicator ploy. After all they know that Team Atlantis becomes- as someone on the TWOP boards put it- "a bunch of squeeing fangirls" whenever the Ancients pop up, so voila! The Ancients pop up... just in time to intercept a Replicator attack. Yeah. Nice timing.

The story didn't interest me much. The characters were pretty good, all things considered, but the whole ep was set-up, which I find annoying and judging from the comments I'm seeing, I'm not alone in that.

The thing is, it wasn't even a very GOOD set-up, IMO. It was more like Standard Plot Cliche #47.

But whatever. Carson was good. Rodney was good. Weir was as good as she can be (*stabs in more pins*) and the others were... passable. Pity Ronon and Teyla were once again relegated to the kiddy table and that the whole Genii thing was just a way to pass time and show how quickly things might change without Team Atlantis around to get in their way. *sigh* I think they should join the Genii anyway. At least they'd be put to good use.
              Last edited by ShadowMaat; 23 September 2006, 01:30 PM. Reason: stupid typos

Comment

(Repost) Oops... posted this in the live discussion thread by accident...

ZOMG I LOVED IT!

*ahem*

Wow.

The character interaction was great. Especially the stuff about World of Warcraft. Was anyone else disturbed by the fact that Rodney seemed to know some about the game...?
                "Only a few find the way. Some don't recognize it when they do. Some... don't ever want to."

Comment

Well i'm gonna start off by saying great episode.
                  But did anyone think that this whole thing was just a copy of the season 1-2 two parter from SG1 (badguys coming to earth but the team defies order and goes out to stop them) they were even dressed the same. still it was a great ep. LOVED the world of warcraft part.

Comment

Well, its not often I say this, but this was one of the better episodes. Now I just hate the fact that I have to wait until March to see the continuation.

Comment

Did this episode remind anyone else of "2010" (and a bunch of other Sg-1 episodes....)? But anyway still good...

Comment

This episode was a good builder for what I'm hoping is an awesome episode. While its done better than the "Lost Boys" and "Allies" in keeping me in suspense for the next season premiere, it doesn't hold a candle to the way "The Storm" ended.

Still I love the character interactions, especially the parting scenes. The three scientist bonding (Rodney, Radek, and Carson), the three warriors (John, Ronon, and Teyla), and the two in charge (John and Elizabeth). Those were so heartwarming and touching. Really love the dynamic between all those scenes that shined through.

Let's go down the list:

John: Is it me, or did he seem really nervous in the beginning when he goes through all those Stargate-connect-a-dots? Looked almost constipated. Loved that no one could replace his team, and how he was really apathetic in his position at the SGC. Despite Landry's words, chemistry can be over-night, just not with the new guys. John's little choked up farewell to Teyla, and how Ronon had playfully lifted him up and hugged him in his room? Wow. Totally feeling the team-loving there.

Elizabeth: I think they handled this in a very interesting way. Her becoming isolated and depressed about losing Atlantis is just so Elizabeth. Gotta love the girl and her dedication to her job, her city, and her people. What I love about Elizabeth the most is that she's a leader that doesn't cut off her emotions. I love that TPTB aren't afraid to show that side of her. I can already hear some people inevitably call this display of emotions "weak," but it's isn't that at all. She feels. She's human. That's awesome. That's awesome writing, too.

Teyla: Gosh, you had lines! And things to do and everything! (Not nearly enough screentime, but I'll take what I can get from the PTB at this point). You and Ronon are all together and holding down the fort in the Pegasus Galaxy. Although the PTB have a tendency to attach you two at the hip, I still cannot get enough of your dynamic because it works - not in a shipper way, mind you. It's more comradery and unflinching loyalty and friendship that you guys have with each other.

Ronon: ditto to the above. I loved your interactions with Ladon too!

Ladon: I was pleasantly surprised to see you there! I really hope the PTB take more advantage of his character. He was there for all of a minute, but he made that scene interesting just by his mere presence!

Carson: The wee turtles! The choked emotion in front of Rodney and Radek. The support you lent to Elizabeth. You = awesome. Although I'm sad to hear you and Cadman broke up.

Plus, on a shallow and general note, everybody looked insanely hot this episode. That one scene from the Earth restaurant, I swear Sheppard was going to spontaneously combust from hottness, followed closely by Elizabeth, Carson, and then Rodney. I guess I'm so use to seeing them in uniforms, that civilian clothes really stand out and pop. Every one looked good. Hell, even when Elizabeth geared up in a military black vest (it wasn't dwarfing her this time, thank you wardrobe department), she still looked good.

Once again, this show is all about the characters. The plot in this episode was lacking, but only because it was basically a setup for the next episode. But the character moments and chemistry between everyone drove the show onwards.

Edit: Also, to anyone that saw 'ship, you have to admit that there was quite literally shippy scenes between nearly every single duo (and sometimes trio, and if one includes that last restaurant scene, foursome!). From Carson/Elizabeth, to McShep, to Sheyla, to Sparky, to Spanky, to whatever the hell combination you can think of (Except Weir/Ronon. That one was missing). It was all there. So, really, I don't think any one can wave this episode around as a banner for their preferred ship and the condemnation of any other. Personally, I'm gonna go with the interpretation that there was nothing overtly shippy at all in this episode. It was all about loving, but not the shipping kind.
                        Last edited by Ironic; 22 September 2006, 08:11 PM.
                        My Livejournal, feel free to friend me.

Comment

Oh yes and guess what? We got another ZPM! Gosh! Wow! Isn't that nifty? That took all of, what, two episodes for the power problem to be solved?

Gee, don't strain yourself too hard there, writers.

Comment

So few people here tonight. The huge storm we were having with hail and tornado warnings kindly abated in time to plug everything back in so I could watch the shows.

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved all the "moments". Ronin lifting Sheppard off his feet. Sheppard touching foreheads with Teyla, McKay admitting he's lonely and Carson visiting Weir in her messy apartment. It's nice to know she's not perfect.

I also enjoyed the techie moments: the explanation and implementation of the Gate network and the discovery of the Ancient ship. When the Daedalus was trying to attract the attention of the Ancients' ship, I felt like they were truly in space, even when they showed scenes inside the ship. I haven't felt that since the first episode this season.

My only wish would be for more O'Neill. He was mostly wasted in this episode, but since he's trapped on Atlantis, I have hopes for more in March.

PS. Ah, I see everone posted at the same time. One question. Did Rachel Luttrell as Teyla paraphrase a line she spoke in "A Dog's Breakfast? The one about paths crossing again?

OK, maybe not exactly.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpUJLMnr2NE
                            Last edited by Hatusu; 22 September 2006, 07:46 PM.
                            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

This was the episode that locked me into Atlantis. Where I liked the show before, I now love it. The writing was great, the acting was top notch. It really felt like they were leaving Atlantis for good and this was the season finale. By the midpoint I was in tears and at the end I was cheering when they stole the jumper. Can't wait for March. It's going to be great!

Oh and there was Jack, which always ups the ante. Although I would have loved to have more of him, he was great in his part. He's really a general now - he's got that air of authority about him. Hopefully there will be more - much more - Jack in March.
                              "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                              it has it's own laws and beats about things
                              which the intellect scorns."
                              - Mark Twain -

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. Personally, I really feel this show has finally come into it's own. It hadn't really before, for me anyways. I'd give it a strong 9/10. It was nice to see Carson play a decent-sized role in this one too.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X