• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Quest, Part 1 (1010)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON TEN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 1010

SG-1 races against Baal in the hunt to find the Sangraal, Merlin's anti-Ori weapon, and comes up against a series of ancient trials.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 09:27 PM.

Great episode!

Comment

i hate cliffhangers

Fun ep, not because it was action or drama packed but because each character filled out their roles perfectly and everyone worked as a team and it was really nice to see. The Daniel + Adria "chat" at the end of the episode was really nice and I think that will play a big part in the second part of the episode.

This will be a cruel 6 months

Comment

Holy crap what a great episode. I loved it, the whole thing with Adria being there, totaly deceptive. The end, when Daniel and Adria there right in front of the sangraal, amazing. I cannot wait for part 2 now, is going to kick some major ass!

Comment

"If you don't help, I'll shove YOU through the bars."

HAHAHAHAHAAHAAH!!!!

Comment

Great episode. I can't wait for March (or January ). That was an interesting ending. Love that scene at the beginning of the episode with Vala. I predict this episode was written by Joe, because it was actually good (I'm not blasting the Mallozzi/Mullie writing team, I'm just saying I think Joe wrote this one and Paul wrote Momento Mori)
            sigpic

Comment

Meep! I hate being the first one to post. I'm a follower, not a leader. (By the time I actually post this, I'm betting someone else will beat me to it, so I won't be the first post, and this whole thing will be for nothing)

So, am I crazy? Did my eyes deceive me? Or, was the team actually together for the episode?

Some people on another board were speculating that the 5 virtues were going to be used by each individual team member and were trying to figure out which person embodied which virtue. But, instead it was them all working together. Although, getting through the maze was prudence, and Sam figured that out, so she could have led with that. And, Daniel had the faith to walk through the fire. I like when they have to work things out like that.

Okay, I knew Osric was going to be Adria (me love spoilers) and that Daniel would hone in on it because of the ring and the Ori words, but when did he get a chance to convey that to the others?

When Adria said she'd start killing members of the team, starting with "her" was she talking about Sam? I couldn't tell who she was gesturing to, but she seems to want to protect Vala.

Ba'al! Your poor voice! Why have they robbed you of the flang? (Yes, I know the flang has been gone for a long time. I still miss it) And, exactly what was his purpose in this episode? To tag along, and get a "get a room" snark? Pointless. You don't just stick Ba'al in an episode.

When they went through the passage after killing the Ori soldiers, what did the old lady say to Mitchell right before he went through? And, when they were going through the cave(?) working the puzzles, was Daniel saying the Ancient translations of the words that the others were saying as passwords?

Didn't give Teal'c much of anything to do.

I might have missed something, but the beginning when Daniel was trying to find the address, Mitchell and Teal'c seemed off. Like they were trying to get away so they wouldn't have to hear him go on. Which I know some people might have that reaction (fools!) but it seems to be a long way from Mitchell eagerly listening to his briefings or Teal'c patiently working with Daniel in Morpheus. I didn't see the whole scene, so I could be wrong with what they were doing. Struck me off the same way Daniel's reaction to Sam tecnobabbling in Ripple Effect did.

Anyway, overall impression? Like having the team together. Like that the problem and solution came from then using their brains and courage. Liked that when they were going through the maze, Vala kept her hand on Mitchell's back. I would have done the same thing. Not trusting my balance to keep me completely on the straight and narrow. Better to brace myself. Liked the end (right before the dragon. The show down between Adria and Daniel). Didn't like the pointlessness of Ba'al. Would have liked Teal'c to have some individual thing to do. Didn't find the episode fantastically wonderful (oh nooo! I'm so baad!) but a nice episode. And, again, team together.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Very good episode.
                http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

This was an outstanding episode. It was everything I love about SG-1: Team work, intelligence, ingenuity, courage, action, loyalty, and of course, the good old cliffhanger.

Everyone was on their game tonight, and I can actually state that I didn't have a problem with any of the characters, with the exception of Baal. I have no idea why his character was in the mix tonight, but it may be explained in Part II.

I enjoyed the idea of the "Quest" more than I thought I would. Sometimes these types of storylines can be tedious and overdone, but since all the cast was able to participate and contribute, it was actually quite enjoyable.

Sam was her usual brilliant self. I have never had a problem with Sam leading SG-1, and tonight's episode clearly demonstrated that fact. The team tends to follow her instinctively, but in no way does that negate Mitchell's presence as a team lead also.

Mitchell has really come into his own, imo. The writers have found his center, and it shows. He's not as cocky as he was in Season 9 nor is he the idol worshipper of SG-1 that he was in the beginning. He has grown comfortable with the team, and he has found a place for himself in it, and it shows.

Teal'c was not background fodder this episode either. He contributed to the puzzles and solutions as much as everyone else, and yet, he still obtained the "warrior Jaffa" side of his personality. His distrust of Baal and Adria never faded from view, and I loved his "I'll squeeze you through these bars" line to Baal when Baal refused to help rescue the boy.

Vala was her usual self, and at first, my thought was that she's too cutsy or always cracking jokes, but frankly, I feel that it works for her character. I don't want her all serious and intellectual. Otherwise, she becomes like SG-1, and I don't really think of her in that way. I think of SG-1 as comprised of very brilliant minds and experience that has melded these three individuals into a solid cohesive unit. If everyone could simply "be" part of SG-1, it would lessen their standing in the SGC, imo. Vala is not an idiot at all, but she is also not on the level of the others on SG-1. Mitchell is certainly capable of reaching that level; he simply lacks the experience, so I don't put him in the same category as Vala. Don't get me wrong, I love Vala, but I'm glad she's not similar to SG-1. She's very different.

And last but not least, Daniel. THIS is the Daniel Jackson I absolutely adore -the problem solver - intellectual, intuitive, and scholastic. Maybe it's just me, but there is a definite chemistry between Daniel and Adria, and I don't mean a romantic chemistry. It's more like an adversarial chemistry. The type of situation when you look forward to their scenes because you know that they will be doing a lot of intellectual sparring. Daniel was suspicious of Adria the more he was watching her, even when she was disguised as the old man. I loved how Daniel immediately moved to protect Sam from Adria's "example of her powers." Always love how Daniel can solve puzzles and problems, especially with the wall of flames - but the best moment was the very end when Daniel and Adria were on the pedastal. Great scene - the dialogue, the acting, the suspicions, the reveal - everything.

Tonight's episode delivered in spades as far as this viewer is concerned. It was a serious episode, speckled with a little bit of humor. I loved that the usual team units were completely obliterated. No Daniel/Vala, Teal'c/Mitchell, and Sam by her lonesome. It was the whole team, everyone talking, everyone contributing, and everyone showing their smarts and their abilities. They were impressive. This is SG-1.

The ending could have been a bit more dramatic, but then again, I feel it served its purpose. I have a ton of questions: Did Morgan Lafey allow SG-1 to get close to the crystal since she knows Daniel? How can Adria manipulate dreams from so far away? Did Adria believe that Daniel was the only person who could actually retrieve the stone? If so, why couldn't Daniel retrieve it? What was the warning she made to Daniel? (I don't think it's the future episode that some of us know about since it seemed specific to this particular Quest), and last but not least - Why was Baal involved at all?

Geez, it's going to be a long six months! Fabulous episode. It really was a 10/10 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum

Everyone was on their game tonight, and I can actually state that I didn't have a problem with any of the characters, with the exception of Baal. I have no idea why his character was in the mix tonight, but it may be explained in Part II.
                    Possibly -about being explained in part 2. Lets hope so, or it really was a waste for him to be there.

Teal'c was not background fodder this episode either. He contributed to the puzzles and solutions as much as everyone else, and yet, he still obtained the "warrior Jaffa" side of his personality. His distrust of Baal and Adria never faded from view, and I loved his "I'll squeeze you through these bars" line to Baal when Baal refused to help rescue the boy.
                    I guess I just wanted Teal'c to have some individual moment to shine, so to speak. Daniel had a few, including the final battle of wills with Adria. Sam had the maze. Vala had the dream. Mitchell had the scene with the old woman. It just seemed like Teal'c didn't have anything specific to him.

And last but not least, Daniel. THIS is the Daniel Jackson I absolutely adore -the problem solver - intellectual, intuitive, and scholastic. Maybe it's just me, but there is a definite chemistry between Daniel and Adria, and I don't mean a romantic chemistry. It's more like an adversarial chemistry. The type of situation when you look forward to their scenes because you know that they will be doing a lot of intellectual sparring. Daniel was suspicious of Adria the more he was watching her, even when she was disguised as the old man. I loved how Daniel immediately moved to protect Sam from Adria's "example of her powers." Always love how Daniel can solve puzzles and problems, especially with the wall of flames - but the best moment was the very end when Daniel and Adria were on the pedastal. Great scene - the dialogue, the acting, the suspicions, the reveal - everything.
                    Yes, I love when they let Daniel do things like this. And, yes, chemistry can be adversarial.

Tonight's episode delivered in spades as far as this viewer is concerned. It was a serious episode, speckled with a little bit of humor. I loved that the usual team units were completely obliterated. No Daniel/Vala, Teal'c/Mitchell, and Sam by her lonesome. It was the whole team, everyone talking, everyone contributing, and everyone showing their smarts and their abilities. They were impressive. This is SG-1.
                    I still didn't find it fantabulous (an elusive quality that I can't break down as to what was missing) but these are all reasons why it was a good episode.

The ending could have been a bit more dramatic, but then again, I feel it served its purpose. I have a ton of questions: Did Morgan Lafey allow SG-1 to get close to the crystal since she knows Daniel? How can Adria manipulate dreams from so far away? Did Adria believe that Daniel was the only person who could actually retrieve the stone? If so, why couldn't Daniel retrieve it? What was the warning she made to Daniel? (I don't think it's the future episode that some of us know about since it seemed specific to this particular Quest), and last but not least - Why was Baal involved at all?
                    Good questions. Especially the last. There had better be a reason for Ba'al being there.

eta: So it was defintely Sam that Adria threatened?

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Great episode with a nice cliffhanger. Daniel really is playing a central part this season which I like.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10.

Can't wait for March.
                      sigpic
                      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347

I guess I just wanted Teal'c to have some individual moment to shine, so to speak. Daniel had a few, including the final battle of wills with Adria. Sam had the maze. Vala had the dream. Mitchell had the scene with the old woman. It just seemed like Teal'c didn't have anything specific to him.
                        Teal'c figured out one of the puzzles, he had dialogue similiar to the others. Sometimes Teal'c is hardly heard or seen in episodes, and for me, that clearly was not the case. I think everyone got their little moments.

Yes, I love when they let Daniel do things like this. And, yes, chemistry can be adversarial.
                        Indeed. I can't figure out if she's intrigued by Daniel or not. Again, not in a romantic way, but just because Daniel is a former Ascended, as she called him.

I still didn't find it fantabulous (an elusive quality that I can't break down as to what was missing) but these are all reasons why it was a good episode.
                        Well, all episodes are subjective, of course. For me, it was fabulous. I can easily rewatch this episode several times, and there are no FF moments for me. Always a good sign.

Good questions. Especially the last. There had better be a reason for Ba'al being there.

eta: So it was defintely Sam that Adria threatened?
                        Yeah, it was Sam. Adria glanced to her left when she spoke to Daniel, which was where Sam was standing. Also, Adria would not have threatened her mother's life. Lastly, Daniel's reaction to Adria's threat was VERY emotional. Daniel doesn't have that kind of emotional connection to Vala, but he certainly does with Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
                          Teal'c figured out one of the puzzles, he had dialogue similiar to the others. Sometimes Teal'c is hardly heard or seen in episodes, and for me, that clearly was not the case. I think everyone got their little moments.
                          Which puzzle? Can't go back and look right now because I'm taping Numb3rs.

Well, all episodes are subjective, of course. For me, it was fabulous. I can easily rewatch this episode several times, and there are no FF moments for me. Always a good sign.
                          Well, I won't make any guarantees, but it might improve on second watch. I admit I watch the episodes the first time with a sense of hesitation -will there be Ori (oh, forgot the essential -I hate the Ori), will the team split up, will they Saran Wrap Daniel and Vala together, will there be lots of ships and things blowing up? Since those things didn't happen (expect a little bit of Ori stuff, bleagh) and I know they didn't, I might be able to enjoy another showing without waiting for the ax to drop. Again, no guarantees.

Yeah, it was Sam. Adria glanced to her left when she spoke to Daniel, which was where Sam was standing. Also, Adria would not have threatened her mother's life. Lastly, Daniel's reaction to Adria's threat was VERY emotional. Daniel doesn't have that kind of emotional connection to Vala, but he certainly does with Sam.
                          I believe you that it was Sam. But, I think if they wanted to push the D/V, they would have had Daniel have the same reaction. And, I think since he does care about Vala (no shippy interpretation intended in that remark) he would have reacted to her life being threatened like he did with Sam. But, again, I believe it was Sam.

Comment

Really an outstanding episode, I enjoyed Baal being in the episode and I hope he has a bunch to do in the 2nd part. Really fun, and not reading the spoilers about Adria made it even better. Never saw it coming although I knew something fishy was up with the old guy.

And she was HOT tonight.

Great moments all together, I want to see more Ba'al bonding next time if he makes it through the episode without Adria going bezerk on him.
                            I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

sweet...dragon...*drools*

now all i'm wondering is what Sg-1's gonna do with Baal and Adria once they get the Sangraal.

Comment

Working...
                              X