Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next class of Earth starship ,smaller or bigger than 304?and "Nightwalkers" ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_class_submarine

This is what is in that drydock.
    Last edited by morrismike; 23 February 2011, 03:20 AM.

Comment

i think we need a wider variety of fighters... the usaf doesn't just use raptors as their only fighter, so why would they do it with 302s?
      An Axe age, A Sword age, Shields are sundered,
      A Wind age, A Wolf age, Ere the World falls,
      And no Man shall spare Another.

Driving fast has never killed anyone. Suddenly coming to a halt, that has killed many, many people

The Pope, an Irishman and an Italian are walking down a street, when one of them says "Hey look guys! A bar!"

Comment

[QUOTE=thekillman;12350375]i see no use in a naval analogy of a fleet. space ships are expensive and every new ship you design increases the cost.

a carrier CAN work but it won't be ANYTHING like modern carriers or SG carriers.

what game is this carrier from?
        If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
        [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

I have not read most of the posts, but the nightwalker ship was probably made out of materials such as-Titanium, various steel alloys, tungsten, aluminium, and perhaps metals in the platinum family like osmium or iridium for insulation against radiation. Copper and/or silver wiring and electronics. They would have used what ever metals they had at their disposal. And it was most likely big enough to hold all the hosts, unless only some were going, but then they very likely would have started killing each other.

For power, a deuterium reactor would be the most likely option. They would have had no access to Uranium-235 or plutonium-239 with out Goa'uld in the trust somehow smuggling it for them, and that would draw attention. And I do not think a fission reactor provide's enough power for hyperspace travel. So, a deuterium fusion reactor would be the best option I think.

If I had to choose a Goa'uld ship to have it would be a really fast Al'kesh with a cloaking generator.
          Last edited by Gormagon; 31 August 2011, 04:45 PM.
          sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

what about making something that is basically just a container ship for a couple hundred 302s, supported by 304s, that just uses wraith tactics against them?

Driving fast has never killed anyone. Suddenly coming to a halt, that has killed many, many people

The Pope, an Irishman and an Italian are walking down a street, when one of them says "Hey look guys! A bar!"

Comment

what game is this carrier from?
              ah sorry for the late reply. it's from Supreme Commander. really awesome game. especially when you're battling with your friends with a unit cap of 1000 units XD

what about making something that is basically just a container ship for a couple hundred 302s, supported by 304s, that just uses wraith tactics against them?
              i really don't see a use for this as the APBW's solve all our wraith problems. damn you, writers!

the only real use now is a *god forgive the naval analogy* cruiser type ship, to locally support SG teams on planets with orbital fire, protection from *TVtropes forgive me* "space pirates", AKA any idiot who managed to get his hands on any of the 100+ ha'tak drifting unmanned in space, and general quick extraction.

the only real thing it would need is a carrier capacity for about 6 fighters and 2 Gunships. gunships ALA BSG's Raptors, small, maneuverable but just big enough to manage a small shield generator. y'know, for SG-team cover, local protection, etc etc etc.

give the 304's a Stargate on board (we still have, what, 47 or so drifting in intergalactic space), and make them the core operators within the galaxy, guiding the cruisers, allowing local quick resupply and only being brought in for heavy weapons.

give the cruisers 2 APBW's, even if they can only operate one at a time. handful of nukes, some railguns, that's it.
              Last edited by thekillman; 31 August 2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

i don't know about new ships (For now) but here's an idea... PUT SOME TOILETS ON BOARD ALL THE SHIPS!!!

Comment

*crickets chirping*

very useful and constructive advice. * COUGH*

Comment

hahahaha... well i suppose they already have the ori toil... i mean ships. why don't we steal an ori ship and bust ass?

Comment

Hi! I'm new on the site but I was wondering why do you all want to get ridd of the fighter bays? Especialy when you can consider adding a couple of Asgard NIGs in them to increase the power generation of the BC-304-s for excange of its fighters and gain some extra cargo space for weapons or in case of a rescue some extra room for evacuees. The extra space can also be used to capture or salvage unknown alien smaller ships or fighters.

You never know when you find a new source of technology to study from!

Comment

In addition can't we use the energy to mater conwerters to make the needed materials to build ships. for enough energy couldn't we build a shipyard offworld being powered by like 20-30 NIGs and use energy to matter replication beems from the asgard database to construct the ship from scatch? Then when the ship was comleter from a engeneering point we would only need to program the computers to do the desired specification of the class of ship.

Think of it this way. You build one ship in 10-12 months by hand and 1 ship in 1-2 monts by replicating with asgard energy ot matter beams + 1-2 weeks for software installation (for BC-304). If I recall right the O'Neills hulls were made in the same manner and not by hand melting and mixing of mettals to produce the alloy.

If we could use these in conyunction with the asgard database we could probably add a couple of asgard point deffence energy turrets and keep all of our rail-guns in the process (thinking of replicator like aliens).

Let me know if I make any sense at all with this! If I doo we would never again need to rely on ofworld mining to build ships. Or build ships faster with the ore + replicating/beaming rechnology combined!

Comment

A 303 engine for an Alkesh is out of the question, I still remember all the naquadria reactor problems.
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran-Ancient View Post
                            In addition can't we use the energy to mater conwerters to make the needed materials to build ships. for enough energy couldn't we build a shipyard offworld being powered by like 20-30 NIGs and use energy to matter replication beems from the asgard database to construct the ship from scatch? Then when the ship was comleter from a engeneering point we would only need to program the computers to do the desired specification of the class of ship.
                            Matter converters still need something to convert.
                            Essentially they need a store of the materials needed to manufacture the product you want to build.

Forget NIGs (particularly the ones on Beliskner, as they were far too massive and would take ages to build before you can start using them), if Earth in an alternate reality can make the Subspace Tap from Daedalus Variations work then there's no reason why McKay and a team of scientists can't make something similar.
                            The ST appeared to be about the size of a room on daedalus, was said to produce ZPM levels of power.
                            Recall the 304s, or a couple, then send them off to planets with metals required and beam up refined blocks using the Asgard transporters.
                            Once that's done mod the transporters temporarily into matter converters and then start working on a base, with construction capabilities.

Think of it this way. You build one ship in 10-12 months by hand and 1 ship in 1-2 monts by replicating with asgard energy ot matter beams + 1-2 weeks for software installation (for BC-304).
                            Really this is nothing new, but there's no way of knowing exactly how quickly construction time can be shortened by.
                            You can have an orbital frame similar to the ship yards in Star Trek The Next Generation, you just put matter converters, transporters, tractor beam tech (the Asgare had that in Unnatural Selection) and some nano-molecular bonding tech (which would be similar to a matter converter, only it focuses on stitching the seems of larger materials together), it doesn't have to be massive, just needs the raw components, with maybe some storage, power generation and perhaps shields in case an enemy turns up.
                            You could even build it into an expandable ship if you felt the need.

TBH when you're building your ship parts you may as well just install the programming, then everything's done and dusted by the time the ships finished.

If I recall right the O'Neills hulls were made in the same manner and not by hand melting and mixing of mettals to produce the alloy.
                            It was never outright stated how the Asgard actually made their ships, but being small, not having any descernable welding or smelting tech it does seem likely that they used Matter Converters, Transporters and other similar technologies to that stuff to make their tech.
                            If they didn't use Matter Conterters then it'd likely have to be some nano factory construction tech.

If we could use these in conyunction with the asgard database we could probably add a couple of asgard point deffence energy turrets and keep all of our rail-guns in the process (thinking of replicator like aliens).
                            Smaller pulse cannons would come in useful, we're not gonna know what threats we're going to come up against so just having some different satellites or multifunctional weapon systems is what we need IMO.
                            There's nothing stopping us build a series of satellites ready to beam into orbit of Earth for defence, with rail guns and energy weapons along with some pulse disruptor tech like the Anti-Replicator weapons.

Let me know if I make any sense at all with this! If I doo we would never again need to rely on ofworld mining to build ships. Or build ships faster with the ore + replicating/beaming rechnology combined!
                            We still need off world mining, because a matter converter isn't a matter fabricator, it basically doesn't straight turn energy into solid matter of your choosing.
                            304s can function as a means to transport ore straight from a planet's surface, either bring the ore back to Earth to then be altered into parts you need or you mod the 304's transporters into matter converters and manufacture tech on sight.

In time I think we should build dedicated mining/construction ships.

Anyway if we can make a small power source, building some better fighters would probably make a world of difference on the battlefield.
                            Something about the size of a puddle jumper, with a short range hyperdrive.
                            If we can make a craft that can fit through the gate, with a shield, some small pulse energy cannons.
                            Using the matter converters we make a swarm of fighters and then we can put military assets where we need in either Pegasus or the Milky Way at our leisure.
                            A small naquada enhanced nuke payload and Earth starts to gain some real power, mainly because such a small fighter could made in high quantities compared to carriers like a 304.

I think a gun ship the size of an Alkesh, with some larger arsenal and also maybe a carrier similar to what thekillman described would be useful.
                            For Pegasus assault purposes a carrier could have a stargate, basically make it a mobile SG command center, with the ability to launch both fighters and some new inertialess drive propelled missiles or APBW satellites to launch from a Planet's surface into space, for when the Wraith are culling planets.

Hyperdrive fighters would make for a good means of deploying are resources much further than we currently can.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                              A 303 engine for an Alkesh is out of the question, I still remember all the naquadria reactor problems.
                              304 reactors don't seem to have those problems.
                              Build a scaled down naquadah reactor or whatever 304s use and make a limited hyperdrive engine that just has interplanetary capabilities.

Something like that, built into an Alkesh sized bomber type ship would make for a great weapon to use as support craft to larger ships.
                              Being smaller they can be built in fairly large numbers, much faster than 304s can be.

Earth could go back to a small 303 sized platform, but update some tech to make it more useful in battle.
                              With a 303 I'd say don't use APBWs, maybe just have plasma pulse weapons, souped up slightly above Ha'Tak level weapons.

Comment

the problem with scaling down is once you get to a certain point the hyperdrive will not be able to produce enough enrgy to create a hyperspace window.

however what i would do is take the hyperdrives from 2 teltaks and install them in the alkesh with a couple of MK2 Naq reactors each as a supplemental power supply.
                                sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Working...
                                X