Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    helion galaxy getting my butt kicked by the deramo

Default Re: Next class of Earth starship ,smaller or bigger than 304?and "Nightwalkers" ship

how about
    take 1 304
    take away APBW arrays and all but 6 missile tubes
    make the tabletop bigger and btson side of neck bigger and put heaps more rail gun batteries on it.
    302 bays? turn them into horizontal missile launching tubes.
    C:\Users\freddi\Pictures\BC-304.jpg

Second Lieutenant TrueLordOfNetu's Avatar

Default Re: Next class of Earth starship ,smaller or bigger than 304?and "Nightwalkers" ship

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Thor View Post
    how about
    take 1 304
    take away APBW arrays and all but 6 missile tubes
    make the tabletop bigger and btson side of neck bigger and put heaps more rail gun batteries on it.
    302 bays? turn them into horizontal missile launching tubes.
    Good in theory but I can see one potentially fatal flaw. If an enemy manages to get a solid hit on one of your massive missle racks, the chain reaction of the missles exploding would likely vaporise the entire ship. With proper measures to prevent this however that would be a substantial gunship.

yay. i had a good idea. green for you for saying it

Take a cube add beam weapons, shields and goa'uld interial drive, stick in the fighter bays send the out in battle and have some guys remotely control them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Charles
    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Quote Originally Posted by Guest750 View Post
    Take a cube add beam weapons, shields and goa'uld interial drive, stick in the fighter bays send the out in battle and have some guys remotely control them.
    OK, different. What sort of size are we talking here and also, what would you use as a power source considering the high drain tech?

20,000,000 ZPMs !!!!

lol.

I'd say we need a Puddle Jumper equivalent. It would be really useful for SG teams to explore further away from the gate. It would also make it easier to get supplies to set up temporary scientific/archeological bases near the point of interest.

Lieutenant Colonel Rise Of The Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starsaber View Post
    I'd say we need a Puddle Jumper equivalent. It would be really useful for SG teams to explore further away from the gate. It would also make it easier to get supplies to set up temporary scientific/archeological bases near the point of interest.
    Some kind of fighter or transport ship or transport fighter ship would be a good idea.
    I could believe Earth could make their own puddle jumper type craft now, we could probably build shield generators small enough for one, inertialess propulsion (I'm obsessed with these now ), decent sensors and some descent weapons, perhaps a plasma cannon for when you need, carrying ammo would be unnecessary then and Asgard cloak would come in useful.
    Not sure what you'd use to power it, but since most people assume Naqueda generators is what Earth uses for it's 304s perhaps a small one could be powerful enough for an Earth built puddle jumper equivalent.

This is a great idea mainly coz sooner or later Atlantis's PJs will eventually be useless, they don't have unlimited energy sources and over the years they could get destroyed in off world missions, so it's better to work on a man made one now, than when we're all out of Ancient ones.

jumpers have powerpacks, they can be recharged.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    jumpers have powerpacks, they can be recharged.
    When was that said?
    I just don't recall the episode, it's a good point if it's quotable, but we could still lose a bunch of Puddle Jumpers on various missions.
    As a small transport alone something like a PJ comes in so useful, it means teams can explore previously inhospitable environments in person, yeah Earth could make better MALPs but sometimes it's better to do it with a team of people.

Small fighters that can actually fit through the gate are a great idea for reasons we've discussed in the past like the fact that if you've got the numbers you can deploy massive fighter forces to practically every corner of a galaxy in minutes.

not to mention modding UAV's to carry bigger missiles, building a gate-based missile system etc.

Earth needs this

You're dead before you know I was behind you!

I like a Battlestar much better

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    not to mention modding UAV's to carry bigger missiles, building a gate-based missile system etc.
    Missiles that could be launched through the gates and then fired to any point of a planet would be cool, maybe a group of satellites that could be deployed through the gate to each side of a planet to triangulate a global attack could be sweet, instant death to your enemy wherever they are on the globe.
    A MALP that exits the gate and instantly creates a shield around the Stargate and DHD to stop your enemy from using the gate would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by locutes View Post
    I like a Battlestar much better
    Remember that's a preference thing dude, not so practical unless you'd got amazing building capabilities.
    Those Battlestars would need decent support ships like 304s.
    If we stick with the 304s and build a smaller cruiser support class or gunships we get bigger numbers, much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
    Missiles that could be launched through the gates and then fired to any point of a planet would be cool, maybe a group of satellites that could be deployed through the gate to each side of a planet to triangulate a global attack could be sweet, instant death to your enemy wherever they are on the globe.
    The SGC already has a similar system in place although targeting is typically handled by a laser designator mounted on a UAV.

A MALP that exits the gate and instantly creates a shield around the Stargate and DHD to stop your enemy from using the gate would be cool.
    Not really the same thing but i've often thought about a spider-like clamp that could be placed over a DHD which emmits a shield around it to prevent enemys using it. It would also provide the secondary function of remote dialing from a GDO which would be useful when a quick retreat is called for. And of course, when all else fails there is the self-destruct option which would destroy the DHD after the team retreated through the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueLordOfNetu View Post
    The SGC already has a similar system in place although targeting is typically handled by a laser designator mounted on a UAV.
    I think that must have been in the back of my mind when I mentioned this, SGC should update everything that's been working so well for them over the years.
    TBH I can't understand why they didn't use the targeting thing more often, if they did it now they could use Asgard sensor tech and probably have Plasma Beam weapon satellites that precision target points on a planet, that would be mean.
    Not really the same thing but i've often thought about a spider-like clamp that could be placed over a DHD which emmits a shield around it to prevent enemys using it. It would also provide the secondary function of remote dialing from a GDO which would be useful when a quick retreat is called for. And of course, when all else fails there is the self-destruct option which would destroy the DHD after the team retreated through the gate.
    Perfect safety feature for off world missions.
    SG team members could have an implant that lets them and only them pass through the shield, instead of having to deactivate it, or just have the MALP clamp recognize certain pre-programmed DNA signatures and allow them to pass through the field.
    Remote dialing is a cool addition too, maybe each team member could carry a version of Thor's remote dialer, just in case anything bad happens.

Second Lieutenant General_Finley's Avatar
    On board the USAF Aurora preparing to engage enemi

Not sure about the thrusters thing, maybe we could use an inertialless drive, on the X-301 it got up to about a million MPH if I recall correctly.

Getting rid of none essential parts of the 304's design would be a good idea, keep the same power generation, shield emitters, weapons, maybe have some added missile storage too.
    The smaller size would mean added maneuverability, having a smaller ship would probably mean you'd need less power for the shields, if you can still fit all of the 304 tech in you're in business IMO.

Surely Asgard beam weapons do a fine job as the main ship's weapons, we can build those now, as for Drones well if we actually used a smaller engine for the nukes (Death Glider inertialless again , it's gotta be done IMO), use a subspace link for control of the weapons, put a shield and shield modulator on the new design then maybe we wouldn't need to reverse engineer the Ancient's projectiles, Asgard tech can probably make a lot of this possible, by now Humans should be more than capable of filling in any holes.
    Smaller missiles would mean more can be stored on the ship.

I'm all for either a gunship, a new tough cruiser or both as all of this stuff would make one hell of a difference to Earth's space combat abilities.
    yah but the ori ship buster cannon is just so cool, pulse science can never settle we need to constantly find/discover somthing new and improved, and the only thing better than an asgard beam weapon is an ori beam weapon, although the lantean beam satilite looked pretty powerful but how are you going to reverse engineer floating scrap metal.

Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
    STARGATE RESURRECTION

Quote Originally Posted by General_Finley View Post
    yah but the ori ship buster cannon is just so cool, pulse science can never settle we need to constantly find/discover somthing new and improved, and the only thing better than an asgard beam weapon is an ori beam weapon, although the lantean beam satilite looked pretty powerful but how are you going to reverse engineer floating scrap metal.
    Dude that's a preference thing, the Ori weapon could be equal to the APBWs in strength, until we see the two used on the same targets we just won't know exactly which does a better job.
    I agree Earth tech needs to constantly improve, but we don't know if an Ori blaster would be any better, APBWs do a fine job for the most part, TBH we probably don't know how to make those Ori weapons.

We could in time improve the APBWs, make them stronger, more efficient, etc.
    It could take a long time to learn how to even make a prototype Ori blaster even with the knowledge we have on energy/plasma weapons.

You're dead before you know I was behind you!

not if we offer help to the former Ori followers, give medical aid, prefab homes, supplies, we could trade for such a weapon (blueprints). When then using the asgard core we could reverse engineer it and build our own

they're not crazy enough for that.

i'd say: build a gate sattelite, launch it at a planet and fire APBW's through.