This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asgard clones

it was said that the asgards look the way they do, because they are cloning the clone of a clone.what if they cloned....or we gave them a human body, they could make a change of brain physonomy to hold their cousuesness properly. in 2 000 years or so they would simply do it again.

would it work....why not??
    sigpic

I would say no because there smart enough to have though of that already. I think they said that it was past the point where they could do things like that. My suggestion would be to clone humans and attempt to put Asgard minds inside them, maybe even replace the human brain. You would think they would be able to do that, but who knows. Obviously its not that big of an issue because its been mentioned like twice in the entire series.
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

I think if it would work, they would of thought of it by now.

Comment

yep they probably would. i belive that i said that they would use a human body and put their mind in it.

i am a BIG fan of the asgard and i miss them in season 10...where are they?
        sigpic

Comment

I think they want to solve their own sterility first before resorting to such drastic measures, even if it were possible.. If they were to transfer their minds into advanced human bodies they would loose all hope of stopping their racing from becoming extinct. As a last resort this may be possible. always thought if they were going to do anything, they would transfer themselves into Androids like Reese, but I guess they are scared that the replicators would one day return in some form and take control of them/use them to their own purposes. As I say I think they are last resorts, but how many Asgard can be left? Not many in my opinion every time we see them, they are in diminished numbers. ie once their ships were fully crewed now they are run mostly on automatic with one pilot ( I guess this is just to save money) makes you think they must be getting pretty desperate....

Huge fan of the Asgard by the way but I am disappointed that the writers dont do that decent stories for them/more/recent etc

Comment

the asguard need to work on creating a clone that is not sterile, they need to made a set of clones that can reproduce natrually. ( if you can even call two clones mating .. natrual, lol) once the figure out the genetic difference between a body that is BORN instead of CLONED, they may be able to 'patch up' the holes in there genentic makup that were caused by the cloning proccess.

they will essentially still be clones for a while, until all asguard can inhabit a cloned body with the ability to reproduce.
            (assuming they still know how, LOL)
            Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
            (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

My question is somewhat in line with this discussion..
              They said that they initially reproduce A-sexually, through mitosis, not meiosis. (Non-sexual reproduction) which resulted in cellular decay and eventual breakdown and have become non-viability of the species. But I do not understand. I will be the first to admit that my understanding of biology is limited, but from what I know reproduction through mitosis does not lead to eventual species non-viability by it's self, it just means that there is no evolution, outside of environmentally influenced mutation that specifically alters then inherent make up of a significant portion of the cells and specifically the cells responsible for reproduction, since when cells divide they divide into two identical cells instead of the two cells combining and exchanging and arranging sets of chromosomes into random combinations.
              Which means two things...
              One their species should not have become non-viable simply because of their form of reproduction.
              But secondly and more significantly, their species would NOT have changed physiologically.
              "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

I'm pretty sure that their cloning techniques have take advantage of genetic engineering to expand the storage capacity of their brains. The brain has a limited storage capacity. This is why memories fade, nonessential information is lost if you don't continually update yourself, and skills require practice.

Since the Asgard have been transferring their memories from one brain to another, it makes sense that they would have had to alter these brains or else risk long-term memory problems. The big problem with cloning human bodies is that human brains are not suited to hold an Asgard mind. This is also why they haven't been cloning the more 'primitive' 30,000 year old Asgard they found in season 5.

The most logical way for them to preserve their race is to hedge their bets by cloning new Asgard based on the older template and educating them instead of dumping a consciousness into them. They wouldn't remain immortal but at least the species would continue.
                Last edited by hyzmarca; 19 February 2007, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Can someone tell me why the Asgard havn't already found the solution to their cloning problem? They found an ancient version of an Asgard body perfectly preserved. So why don't they just start cloning that body again? Have I missed something?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unknown.entity
                    Can someone tell me why the Asgard havn't already found the solution to their cloning problem? They found an ancient version of an Asgard body perfectly preserved. So why don't they just start cloning that body again? Have I missed something?
                    Because if they did that, they'd be in the same situation they are in now, just a few thousand years down the line. They're trying to find a more permanent solution. A few thousand years seems like alot, but if your conciousness keeps being preserved and downloaded into new bodies every few hundred years, the time seems a lot shorter.

Comment

i belive i said....that they could clone or get from us a human body. wich they could alter so it would suit their needs. i really don't see where the problem with that could be.

Okohme.....they are the way they are because they were cloning a clone of a clone where genetical mistakes were made. small anomalies in time resulting unwanted mutation. they cant reproduce sexually for 3 000 years. if they could they would not have a problem (at least not a major one)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean Engineer
                        Because if they did that, they'd be in the same situation they are in now, just a few thousand years down the line. They're trying to find a more permanent solution. A few thousand years seems like alot, but if your conciousness keeps being preserved and downloaded into new bodies every few hundred years, the time seems a lot shorter.
                        Well to me it does look like a permanent solution... What's the problem? So they clone for thousand years again and when they come across this problem again, they go back to the original body and start all over again for another thousand years... I don't see why that can't work. Or even better, everytime they want to clone a body, they just clone the original. The only reason their bodies are failing is because they kept cloning the previous clone. I would have thought it would be common sense to constantly clone the original body, not the clone of a clone of a clone...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ziga1980
                          i belive i said....that they could clone or get from us a human body. wich they could alter so it would suit their needs. i really don't see where the problem with that could be.

Okohme.....they are the way they are because they were cloning a clone of a clone where genetical mistakes were made. small anomalies in time resulting unwanted mutation. they cant reproduce sexually for 3 000 years. if they could they would not have a problem (at least not a major one)
                          That won't work. They already pointed that out in an episode. They thought Jack's 'advanced' human body was the key to their cloning problems, but later they confirmed it wasn't. I believe this was stated by Thor in the episode: FRAGILE BALANCE.
                          Spoiler:
                          CARTER: "Is it true that Colonel O'Neill is the key to solving your cloning problems?"

THOR: "No."

O'NEILL: "But I thought I was advanced."

THOR: "Indeed you are O'Neill, but our scientists have already determined that while you are an important step forward in the evolutionary chain, the missing link we have been searching for still eludes us."
                          sigpic

Comment

yes....he said that...but look. eventully they will still come across this problem if they start with a fresh human body. but what was meant with that statement is that they were searching for a perfect genetical entity, that could be cloned indefenetly without the fear of any problems. so they could alter their DNA/ find some sort of anomaly in their DNA (call it whatever you want) so they could clone themselfs without anomalies. thats what i understand of it.
                            sigpic

Comment

why they dont use the ancient DNA machine anubis used to create a clone. that would solve problems.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X