This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sueKay
    Not all the actors are comfortable with autographs exchanging hands for money...keep that in mind too.
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that one of the reasons David Hewlett doesn't do many conventions (aside from cherishing his rare free time to spend with his partner) is that he's not too comfortable with the business aspect of them and with money changing hands for things like autographs etc.
    sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, many actors end up making a living from "autograph money" and it's an incentive for them to make or schedule appearances at cons. Plus it keeps them in the public consciousness or at least in the minds of scifi fans.

You'll find guest stars or nameless redshirts that appeared only once in ST:TOS buying table space, selling their autographs, and finding buyers for their wares. When actors start doing nostalgic Caribbean cruises, that's when you really know they are trying to cash in on their former fame and can't finding acting jobs.

In any case, the eBay sellers will want just the autographs, nothing personalized, to get the most money reselling signed items. One can tell who the eBay'ers are at cons by their insistence on autographs only requests to the actors. Actors know this and want their cut by charging for autographs up to the current market value. That cuts down a lot of the eBay sellers and their relay teams at cons because they can't make a reasonable profit or outrageous sum from the bidding.

It's better to just contact the studio or the actor's agent/agency and request an 8X10 autographed glossy. It may not be the same as actually getting the chance to meet and talk to your favorite actor while getting a signature, but it will save you a lot of money.

Try going to the smaller cons. Actors tend to have more time and you can take pictures with them and have a short conversation or longer talk with them, plus get autographs cheaper or even for free. In some cases, at least with SG1 and BSG, one could get lucky and end up eating lunch with the actors at your table or be invited inside to share stories. It all depends on the circumstances.
      It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

I'm definitely not a fan of actors charging outrageous amounts for an autograph. It's not like its costing them anything. If the time spent giving free autographs is an issue, I don't understand why event organizers do not find a way to control the amount of time that an actor spends signing, or a specific number. Have it included in the ticket price, if need be.

BTW, if anyone wants mall map signed by some supposedly famous UFC champion, $5.

(J/k, but funny story. I was at work in the mall, and some guy comes up to me and starts blathering on about the gym, and where is it. I'm trying to give him directions, but he just keeps yapping about he's a UFC champion, and he's just run 10 laps around the mall and blah, blah, blah, so finally I just grab a map and circle it. He takes the map, and my pen, and scribbles something on the map, hands it back to me, says "Thanks" and walks away. I have no idea who he was, or what exactly he wrote.)
        sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

I've never cared much for celebrities charging for autographs, so I've never gotten any that I would have had to pay for. They're not that important to me.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

While I hate the fact that they charge money for autographs...suekay made a good point by mentioning that if they didn't charge, they'd be there forever and wouldn't be able to do anything else cause everyone would want a free autograph.
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I just wanted to ad my "2 cents." I frequent a comic book convention near my home. It is held every six months or so. They only really offer the actors plane fair and room and board while they are at the con. The money that is made by signing autographs is what the actors "make." Some actors aren't rolling in dough despite popular belief. I know some of the bigger cons (Creation) get most of, if not all, the profit from the autographs and pictures at their cons. This is the livelyhood of some of the actors especially if they have been out of the limelight for awhile. Wil Wheaton comes to mind. He is a really nice guy who can't get a break acting so he now writes and has an improve group in CA. I'm sure he "sells" his signature to supplement his income. He does have a wife and two step-sons.
              Hold your breath...make a wish...count to three...

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
                Wait, don't they get by the organisers, a dividend (of sorts) just to be there?! That comes out of the ticket prices and such. Like a rock concert, the artist does get a fee from the shirts that are sold and what not. I'd have thought the actors get a similar percentage in just being there. The autograph just ups the check amount they recieve. And there are people who play the hundreds for the major ticket!! And you take let's say about 700 or more people there, that's a hefty amount of moola.
                It depends on the guest and the con. At most cons there are a few guests who are paid a hefty amount of money to come. Those are the people the con's organinizers think will draw in the fans. Someone like Amanda Tapping or Joe would be in that group. But most cons also invite a number of what might be called "second teir guests" who they do not pay very much if at all - with the understanding being that those people will make their money selling autographs. That is their payment. It is a cheap way for the cons to offer more guests and is somewhat risk free for the cons - if the person does not draw anyone then they have paid him/her any money.

Now I think that Creation is the one that started charging for the "Main" guests. It really is to bad that so many other cons started to follow their example, but there are still cons where, depending on ticket you buy (weekend or single day) the price of that ticket includes one (or two for a weekend ticket) autograph from the main guests. Shoreleave in Maryland is one such con. Now, you may have to wait a long time to get the autograph (esp if you by your ticket at the last minute) but most of the time you will get a one.

And I do think that Ebay and the number of people selling the autographs does have an effect. I can see why the actors would get a little put out by the fact that people are making money on their autographs. The real victims are the real fans, the ones who have no intention of selling the autographs and just want to enjoy them.
                ABHarding

Sheppard: You think it's worth checking out?
                McKay: Any significant energy emission generally indicates technological civilization.
                Sheppard: So... you think it's worth checking out?
                McKay: [sarcastically] I'm sorry. Yes. Energy field good.

Comment

I completly agree with the poster that mentioned how the prices of cons are getting completly out of hand, personally I would love to go to a con someday, but it's unaffordable, charging extra for things like autographs make it that much more a of a dig in the pocket- if you're going to charge, include it in the initial ticket price so at least the attendees have a clearer idea of what they're spending from the beginning and are able to plan for it well ahead of time.

Why can't cons just be a little more about the fans, and a little less about the profit.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                    Why can't cons just be a little more about the fans, and a little less about the profit.....
                    Because humans are greedy lil buggers, thats why.
                    sigpic
                    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                      Horribly sad but true.....

At least if they're going to charge so much for cons a decent portion of the proceeds should go towards feeding starving children in Africa or something along those lines.

Comment

Wow! I didn't know actors got paid to sign autographs. Gee, you learn something new everyday. It seems a bit odd...20 bucks for a name on some paper or poster...well, I guess it's a bit like how nobody comes to boring business meetings unless there's food there.
                        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                          And some fans have more money then common sense.

Supply and demand... if fans will pay the con prices as well as the autograph prices then of course ALL cons will eventually (if they don't already) charge massive amounts for what is really a b-grade actors autograph... come on I love Willian Shatner but come on! Seriously... I think we all know most of these actors are not going to do a heck of a lot outside their little scifi roles, they will never be big stars, and certainly not garner great acting roles, so in reality are they worth the money charged for the autographs? Of course not, it is a rabbit fan thing, I must have their autograph, I simply must!

We all know there are serial con attendees they are just as bad IMO as the dealers, they go to all these cons and will pay the large prices, it is like a hobby or something. If I ever did go to a con it would probably be a one off as I have neither the money to waste *I am so poor* or the inclination to hang around a bunch of scifi fans...

I don't buy the argument it is OK as some actors make a living or supplement an acting income from autographs... sure it probably does happen but then I ask what kind of actor/person are they?... go out and do what we all have to; get a bloody real job!

Comment

I've never been one who's ever been impressed by supposed "celebrity," so I'll make this short: I'll never pay for someone's autograph, I don't care how much I like their work. If I wanted to pay, I'd just go to eBay and get it, rather than stand in a line for hours at a Con that cost me way too much to attend. I know I probably don't speak for most of you, but that's just how I feel. My money can go towards better memorabilia than cheap prints or pieces of paper with usually illegible ink scribbles on it (and often no COA). Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Karyyk
                              I've never been one who's ever been impressed by supposed "celebrity," so I'll make this short: I'll never pay for someone's autograph, I don't care how much I like their work. If I wanted to pay, I'd just go to eBay and get it, rather than stand in a line for hours at a Con that cost me way too much to attend. I know I probably don't speak for most of you, but that's just how I feel. My money can go towards better memorabilia than cheap prints or pieces of paper with usually illegible ink scribbles on it (and often no COA). Just my $0.02.
                              So you'd rather spend money on Ebay where probably 99% of the autos ARE fake, even when the seller offers a COA - It only takes 2 seconds to print one of them up. I respect your opinion and appreciate what you are saying, auto's obviously aren't your thing. BUT if you are going to get one wouldn't you rather make sure it's real rather than giving your money for something that could have been (And probably has) signed by the person selling it on Ebay or copied it with auto pen. The only way to make sure it's the genuin article is to be there when it's signed. Even when you write off to the celeb/agent/studio you never know who really signed it. It could have been an assistant.
                              sigpic

Comment

Also whilst I really do understand everyone's points look at the situation this way. Yes auto prices are getting stupid. It costs a fortune to go to these shows now. But as long as people want auto's they will be seen as a commercial venture. Why shouldn't cons/events make a profit? If they get that profit via selling the guests auto's and photo oportunities what is the problem? This is real life and they are running a business. Even the cons run by the fans for the fans are going to want to break even at the very least. No one deliberatly sets out to make a loss - there would be no more events if this happened. No one is going to purposefully loose money on a business venture. Money talks and until the fans start saying "no you are charging too much. I'm not coming to your event" in large numbers they will continue to charge high prices.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X