What if it wasnt an Intrepid in the delta quadrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if it wasnt an Intrepid in the delta quadrant

A question I've wondered time and time again. Voyager was an Intrepid class ship - fast, agile, well armed for its size. But at the end of the day, it isnt a war ship. 13 Medium Type X Phaser arrays, 4 Photon Torpedo Launchers with a max spread of only 12 shots (i think), Only photon torpedoes, limited shielding. It cant take on too many vessels at once.

What if a more battle designed ship had been thrown into the delta quadrant? Say, a Galaxy class, Prometheus class, Defiant class, Sovereign class, Akira class? Think what a situations Voyager has been in, and then think what would of happened if voyager had been a Sovereign class ship? Complete with all the sovereigns weaponry, technology and shielding!

How do you think the storylines would of gone? What would happen? Would the "new" Voyager of faired any better than the Intrepid Voyager?

Then again, what would of happened if Voyager had been of an older design? Constitution, Excelsior, NX (LOL), Miranda...

What would of happened?

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

I have wondered the same thing a few times over the years while watching Voyager....

Sure a Defiant class ship with superior weaponry and a cloak could have avoided a lot less trouble than Voyager did, but the ships compliment of maybe 20 officers max. wouldn't be enough to survive the trip back.

A flagship like the Enterprise with its power and crew size probably would have been better suited to deal with adversity.

In retrospect the Intrepid class Voyager was just fine, it's faster than almost all other warp drive ships, has adequate weaponry and big enough crew to make it a generational ship.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

If it was older it would have been destroyed on day one and if, by some miracle, it had survived, would have taken about 300 years to get home.
      //

O'Neill: Phasers?
      Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Ah those poor Miranda-class ships. It is really just a science and supply vessel. They can't take much punishment either.

It was the wrong type of ship to come up against the Borg at Wolf 359 and to be at the front of the battle in "Sacrifice of Angels." A vessel of that class wouldn't have survived the battle against the Kazon at the Caretaker's array. I would not like to be stranded 70,000 light years from home in one of those ships.
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

In fairness, most of the ships at Wolf359 didnt stand a chance in hell

Personally, imo the ship best suited to be lost in the Delta Quadrant would be either Prometheus Class, or Sovereign Class. Prometheus because of its weaponry, speed, its seperation mode (with each section warp capable), and the fact thats its big enough to hold a decent sized crew. Sovereign, simply because of its size, power, and sheer coolness

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

I don't think a journey home on a Soveriegn class would have been quite as graceful as it was with the Intrepid. Don't ask me why....
            //

Comment

I have wondered this myself over the years.

I wonder if Voyager was an Akira Class. What would have happened? Are Akiras considered heavy cruisers? I think I read that in the DS9 manual.

Comment

If Voyager was a more powerful ship, the writers would have written the enemy ships more powerful, that's what would have happened.....

It wouldn't have made one bit of difference to the story.....Except for maybe the technobabbley stuff would have been a little different.

Comment

If it was a Sovereign class ship the series would have been called Star Trek @$$-kicking, or Star Trek Pwnage.
                  Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                  The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                  A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                  That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                  Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                  Caboose: They could be worse?
                  Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Wasn't Voayger stranded before the soverign, prometheus and akira designs were implemented for construction within the fleet? That said, I think that a Galaxy class would have been the best suited, at that time, for being stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
                    Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
                    Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

The only problem though is that Galaxy class goes hand in hand with about 1,200 people aboard and a lot of families. Not sure it would've been a fun time for the writers to portray that in the episodes and it would've seemed much less urgent to get home when much of the crew have their families with them instead of back on Earth.
                      //

Comment

Originally posted by RobJones
                        In fairness, most of the ships at Wolf359 didnt stand a chance in hell
                        Which just goes to show how lame Voyager was as a show, when that one ship starts taking out Borg cubes all over the place...

Comment

Originally posted by Frinky
                          Wasn't Voayger stranded before the soverign, prometheus and akira designs were implemented for construction within the fleet? That said, I think that a Galaxy class would have been the best suited, at that time, for being stranded in the Delta Quadrant.
                          I *think* the Akira was around BEFORE Voyager got stranded.
                          Where they heck is my DS9 technical manual when I need it?

Comment

I was just looking on memory alpha and it seems that the 1st appearance of it was in First Contact, which was in 2373. From that, I think its safe to assume akira class ships were first launched around then or a year or 2 earlier. I couln't find an exact date, so I could be wrong...

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
                            Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
                            Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

If the show had taken place in the Mirror universe then the ship would have been the I.S.S Voyager perhaps, the Warship Voyager who's mission was not one of exploration but to weed out the rebels in the Badlands and then was taken by the Caretaker where they conquered the Ocompa and allied themselves with the Kazon to battle perhaps the Vidians or the Swarm and extend the Terran empire into new territory Minus Lt Tuvok who of course stayed behind and he and the Vulcans allied themselves with the rebels to battle the alliance of the the DS9 era.

Gee what a frightful thought, I think they touched upon that in an episode of season 4 where the Doctor is left behind and he tries to clear the crew's name because they have been portrayed as a waring ship who subjegated the Kazon and took the Borg and attacked alien planets in a bid to get back home to Mars....yes mars they couldn't even get that right

But maybe in the Mirror universe which is ST example of the theory of what could of been Voyager was a armed warship that may or may not have gone to the Delta quadrant.
                              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Working...
                              X