This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a SECRET set of rules?

Is there a SECRET set of rules that isn't publicized?

I found these rules under the link; "Rules" near the top of the page.

I also found this FAQ under the link; "FAQ".

The first link in THAT list takes you to the page that I linked to in the first place.

So as near as I can figure out, those are ALL the rules.

I've read them carefully. SEVERAL times .
    I think I understand them...
    They aren't all that complex...

And IF I am reading them correctly, then it all comes down to this:

All posts, whether creating a new thread or responding to an existing one have to meet the following criteria:
    1. New posts must be posted in the appropriate forum. If you pick the wrong forum, your post will get moved to the right one.
    2. Responses must be reasonably on topic. Some drift is a part of normal conversation, but responses that seem to be part of a completely different conversation are not appropriate.
    3. All posts must be rated either "G" or "PG". PG-13 might be acceptable depending on the circumstances, but "R" is out of the question.
    4. Posts cannot attack people. You can attack what they SAID, you can criticize their opinions, you can even tell them that their ideas are flawed, but you CANNOT attack the human being sitting at the other keyboard directly.
    5. Any of the criticism mentioned in #4 can't be "neener, neener, that's a dumb idea". Criticism has to have SOME kind of basis, SOME kind of logic. It has to based on something more than; "You have a lame screen-name and you probably smell bad, so you suck and your ideas do too."

Based on what I've written, do I seem to have a good understanding of what constitutes "proper posting"?

Have I added too much?

Have I left anything out?

Am I missing something crucial?

I'm just trying to do a reality check here.
    I try hard to stay within the forum rules, and in order to do that I need to make sure that understand the rules PROPERLY.

"Atheism - the religion devoted to the worship of one's own smug sense of superiority."
    - Stephen Colbert
    "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish."

YOU understanding the rules isn't necessarily the problem, it's getting EVERYONE ELSE to understand- and more importantly FOLLOW- the rules where things start to get sticky.

Comment

I agree with maat, if you actually read the rules your already better than 99% of new members.
      sigpic
      Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        If you actually read the rules (and more importantly OBEY them), you're intelligent. Which rules out at least a few "n00bs" I've seen around here.
        Your idea is flawed.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unknown.entity
          Your idea is flawed.
          Nope, I'm just finding a polite way of saying that people who think they're "above" reading the rules and who refuse to read and/or obey them are fracking idiots who make this place a nightmare for everyone unfortunate enough to be around them.

But of course, that's just my opinion.

Comment

{Mod Snip}

What an utter load of fly-tipped, steamy smelly goat excrement.

(NB, my Opinion)

You signed up to the rules during the signing up process. If you can't follow them or respect them, quite frankly, IMO, you should get out. And never return.
            Last edited by TameFarrar; 03 September 2006, 07:13 PM.
            I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Actually I have no interest in being a mod and would refuse if Darren & Co. were ever suicidal enough to offer me the job. I'm not here to please anyone- not you and not the mods. I DO, however, try to play by the rules... not always successfully. That doesn't make me a suck-up, though, it just makes me someone with a modicum of common sense and a depressingly outdated compulsion to obey the rules and respect authority.

Although considering how much I tend to mock the mods, I dunno if that counts as respect. I listen when it's important, though, which is more than can be said of a few people I've seen skulking around the forum.

Anyway, I thought this was about people in general needing to follow the rules (or checking to see if anyone bothers), not about calling me out on the carpet for a spot of sneering.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                What an utter load of fly-tipped, steamy smelly goat excrement.

(NB, my Opinion)

You signed up to the rules during the signing up process. If you can't follow them or respect them, quite frankly, IMO, you should get out. And never return.
                Are you saying that I don't follow/respect the rules?
                sigpic

Comment

Actually I have no interest in being a mod and would refuse if Darren & Co. were ever suicidal enough to offer me the job. I'm not here to please anyone- not you and not the mods. I DO, however, try to play by the rules... not always successfully. That doesn't make me a suck-up, though, it just makes me someone with a modicum of common sense and a depressingly outdated compulsion to obey the rules and respect authority.

Although considering how much I tend to mock the mods, I dunno if that counts as respect. I listen when it's important, though, which is more than can be said of a few people I've seen skulking around the forum.
                  Oh come on Maat... you should be thanking me. Who knows... this might even get their attention and help them consider offering you the moderator status. Keep up with your denial, it will help convince them that you deserve the moderator status.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, yes, actually. You called the idea of following the rules, 'flawed', and are currently launching an unprovoked attack against another member ...

that's just my interpretation of events, and thus, my opinion.
                    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

The real irony is that all this is a wonderful illustration of some of the points I think DysVet was trying to communicate in his original post.

Good post, Dys. See what happens when you ask a stupid question?

Comment

Apparently not since all the post here are not helping DysfunctionalVeteran's understanding of the rules. On the other hand, this does appear to be a good example of the type of people he will encounter and he will quickly realize that they are not so much "rules" as "guidelines".

Wow, I like to follow rules, I must want to be a mod too.....then no one can put me on ignore mmmwwhahahahahahaha...............or not.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I think DV's problem is that he knows what the rules are and he's trying to obey them... he just can't understand why he seems to be the only one making that effort.

Well, obviously not the ONLY one, but I think disrespectful attitudes in general are definitely growing. And judging by the fact that anyone who dares to follow the rules is apparently a sycophantic "n00b", who can blame them?

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                            Well, yes, actually. You called the idea of following the rules, 'flawed', and are currently launching an unprovoked attack against another member ...

that's just my interpretation of events, and thus, my opinion.
                            How about you pay more attention to posts before you go around redding people.

I said the following post by Maat was flawed:

If you actually read the rules (and more importantly OBEY them), you're intelligent. Which rules out at least a few "n00bs" I've seen around here.
                            I.e I disagree with the post since it implies that people who don't read the rules are not intelligent. HOW DOES THAT IMPLY THAT I BELIEVE "following the rules" IS FLAWED???

Just because I try to defend the intelligibility of those who do not read the rules does NOT imply I don't read the rules myself or that I disagree with "following the rules"...
                            sigpic

Comment

The real irony is that all this is a wonderful illustration of some of the points I think DysVet was trying to communicate in his original post.

Good post, Dys. See what happens when you ask a stupid question?
                              Show me one "stupid question" made in this thread and outline why it was stupid.

While you're at it, show me how "all this" is a wonderful illustration of DysVet's original post!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X