OK, convince me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, convince me

I have been reluctant to buy Firefly, solely because i have never seen firefly in my life, and i don't want to buy something before i know i will like it, my biggest fear is to be left wondering "I spent £18.97 on this?". I'm not a fan of most sci-fi (Stargate, Wars, BTTF, Matrix are exceptions) and I'm not too keen on westens, so people convince me to buy it instead of Futurama!
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 30 August 2006, 10:32 AM.
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

You know, as great as Firefly is, I'd buy the Futurama.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by wako!
      I have been reluctant to buy Firefly, solely because i have never seen firefly in my life, and i don't want to buy something before i know i like it, my biggest fear is to be left wondering "I spent £18.97 on this?". I'm not a fan of most sci-fi (Stargate, Wars, BTTF, Matrix are exceptions) and I'm not too keen on westens, so people convince me to buy it instead of Futurama!
      BTTF...?

I'd be reluctant to buy such a short show, If it's a s good as people say it is, I'd probably get attached to it & feel dissapointed that it's cancelled...

Anyway, Aren't most shows (even cancelled ones) picked up on TV Channels or re-runs? Is there any Channel in the UK that airs Firefly? or has no channel picked it up due to it being cancelled?... It'd be nice to watch it, as opposed to buying it...

Comment

I bought it on DVD when I had only heard of it through friends. I wasn't disappointed at all. In fact in just over two weeks I'll be attending my second Firefly-convention.

My sister was reluctant to watch it, she did anyway and got hooked from minute one.

Then again, if you really don't like it, you can sell the set on e-Bay, I guess.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
          BTTF...?
          Back to the Future

Anyway, Aren't most shows (even cancelled ones) picked up on TV Channels or re-runs? Is there any Channel in the UK that airs Firefly? or has no channel picked it up due to it being cancelled?... It'd be nice to watch it, as opposed to buying it...
          I don't know of any channel that airs Firefly
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I brought it on a whim, it was £15 in a HMV sale, and within 5 minutes of the pilot I was just speachless, and I consider it my top sci-fi now, and Im glad i took the risk. Besides, if you dont like it, as someone said, you can always sell it on eBay.

Oh, and there isnt a network that shows Firefly in the UK to my knowledge.
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

as far as i know there isnt a chanel showing it in the uk, i havent noticed one anyway.

i bought mine from hmv too on sale, after i'd been on the thread here and read what others thought, and i had serenity dvd for my birthday and i thought that was great, and i decided to buy it. i watched all the episodes as soon as i could ( obv fitting it around work) and i finished watching the whole thing after about two or three days. i thought it was great, and i wasnt disappointed at all. i really liked the extras too.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

I bought the set after I heard about Serenity a year ago and I have NO regrets, it is simply an amazing show. And I also hooked my uncle and brother on it, its their favorite show of all time now.
                Last edited by Descent; 30 August 2006, 11:51 AM.
                sigpic
                "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I bought Firefly about a month ago because of the good things I'd heard...and I was not dissappointed...fantastic show, brilliant writing and wonderful characters.

And a completely kick-ass film as well
                  sigpic
                  Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I bought Firefly having never seen a minute of the show, just from the word of mouth that I heard here on the forums and verious other sites (it was dirt cheap, $24 CDN). I loved the first couple episodes so much that two days later I bought Serenity (despite having planned to see the entire series before deciding whether to buy the movie).

My Firefly set is probably my most watched (it's now my second favourite show). And it definitly lends to multiple viewings (and has some wonderful commentaries and features), it's worth the $$$ absolutely.

Comment

I'll just sum it up and make it easy for you: Buy Firefly
                      sigpic
                      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                        Yup, that sums it up!

Comment

I borrowed a copy of Firefly off a mate, after hearing lots of good things about it. I was hooked from the first ep. The characters, and stories are first class. I dont normally buy dvds, but i went out and bought my own copy of Firefly and Serenity, as the show rocked that much imo
                          Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                            thats a good way of putting it . i love the series i have to say

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Its repeated on Sci-fi every so often if you've got sat/cable. Its not like to ever be on a terrestrial channel. It is one of the best tv shows ever made, I've got soo many people hooked on it.
                              I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Working...
                              X