Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should ECW Wrestling be on SCI-FI Channel??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should ECW Wrestling be on SCI-FI Channel??

SCI-FI Channel is showing ECW Wrestling on Tuesday Nights at 10:00 pm. Now, tonight, Monday August 28, 2006, they are showing TWO HOURS, that's right, TWO HOURS of RAW Wrestling (normally on USA, but pre-empted by the US Open) from 9:00 pm to 11:00 pm. My question is this. Is showing professional wrestling on SCI-FI Channel a good thing, or bad thing??? Should they show ONLY science fiction shows, or show some diversity by airing non-science fiction shows??? Instead, should they show two hours of
    Eureka, Battlestar Galactica, SG1 or SG-Atlantis???
    Last edited by Maj.Tahn; 28 August 2006, 04:30 AM.

i'm biased because i think all pro wrestling is stupid and a waste of time.

but i do think it has no place on the SCIFI channel. Although, my suspicion as to why they're doing it, scifi and usa are owned by the same folks, thus instead of losing the thousands of dollars by preempting it, they get to keep the money by moving it to the other channel.

smart from a 'we're desperate for dollars but have no integrity' pov, but, imho, just another symptom of how desperate for money they really are.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This topic is probably in the wrong section, but...

ECW fans are asking the same question. That being said, if attracting the ECW demographics to the SFC can get them to sample the other SFC programs and they start watching regularly, then it's a good thing. It is well known that wrestling attracts very the age group (18-49) advertisers want to reach and are willing to pay the ad rates.

The SFC really only has a few nights of original programming. Honestly, how many of us really tuned into the SFC on Tuesday nights before Eureka and/or ECW was added to the Tuesday night lineup? The hard part is to get ECW viewers/fans to watch our favorite programs that air on other nights and boost/increase the ratings for those shows.
      It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

but i do think it has no place on the SCIFI channel. Although, my suspicion as to why they're doing it, scifi and usa are owned by the same folks, thus instead of losing the thousands of dollars by preempting it, they get to keep the money by moving it to the other channel.

smart from a 'we're desperate for dollars but have no integrity' pov, but, imho, just another symptom of how desperate for money they really are.
        It is all about making money, all WWE wrestling affiliates do very well ratings wise. The USA network (where the WWE's Raw is War show is aired) probably made the decision to put ECW (a WWE affiliate) on there sister network (the scifi channel) to simply boost revenue. Business wise it does seen smart and desperate at the sametime. If it means extra seasons of Atlantis, Eureka, BSG ...etc... God Bless the WWE.

As far as Pro wrestling being stupid, it's all about entertainment, they do not pretend its real anymore and besides us men need our soap opera's too.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I am not slamming ECW Wrestling itself. I am simply saying SCI-FI Channel didn't do enough to save Stargate. They could have temporarily put ECW on following Stargate & used ECW's ratings momentum to boost the show
          to bring the young viewers in and have Stargate stars make special appearances on ECW to cross promote the show like other networks do. Professional wrestling uses all kind of promotions using special effects to promote their shows. They could've set up a Stargate at one of the ECW shows & used special effects to cross promote the show. Wrestling fans love that kind of stuff.
          Last edited by Maj.Tahn; 28 August 2006, 08:44 AM.

Comment

As do I, used to watch it, but not anymore because it's stupid. And no, it shouldn't be on the SciFi Channel.
            sigpic

Comment

Ugh. Putting wrestling on a Sci-Fi is a disgrace and an insult to science fiction. Generally speaking, people who watch science fiction are above average intelligence. On the other hand, about the only thing it takes to enjoy wrestling is male hormones... often coupled with an inability to appreciate something a little more mentally challenging.
              [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

i could not of said it better myself, since 2004 NBC is famed for making the worst mistakes ever, and they dont seem to be interested in breaking that trend.
                SAVE SG-1
                www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
                Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

Originally posted by Maj.Tahn
                  SCI-FI Channel is showing ECW Wrestling on Tuesday Nights at 10:00 pm. Now, tonight, Monday August 28, 2006, they are showing TWO HOURS, that's right, TWO HOURS of RAW Wrestling (normally on USA, but pre-empted by the US Open) from 9:00 pm to 11:00 pm. My question is this. Is showing professional wrestling on SCI-FI Channel a good thing, or bad thing??? Should they show ONLY science fiction shows, or show some diversity by airing non-science fiction shows??? Instead, should they show two hours of
                  Eureka, Battlestar Galactica, SG1 or SG-Atlantis???
                  finally someone is on my thought pattern of this after 2 months lol. its got to be the stupidist thing i have ever seen, instead of redneck wrestling they could of got the rights to some decent japanese anime and got better ratings. i know not all people would go for the anime but atleast it would be on the level of sci fi. i emailed sci fi a month ago as to why wrestling was still on a sci fi channle, i know im not the only one who emailed them. it seems the figure heads there are stuck up and snobbish and like all people with power see no reason to explain themselves or even acknowledge their viewers emails.
                  one thing i do find amusing about this wrestling show is that every time i see a promo for it, i could swear the women's breasts get bigger, why is that?
                  SAVE SG-1
                  www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
                  Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                    Ugh. Putting wrestling on a Sci-Fi is a disgrace and an insult to science fiction. Generally speaking, people who watch science fiction are above average intelligence. On the other hand, about the only thing it takes to enjoy wrestling is male hormones... often coupled with an inability to appreciate something a little more mentally challenging.
                    YES! I completely agree! It's just horribly degrading to everyone that watches Sci Fi for some quality entertainment that makes you think. Sure, there's a few shows that are kinda just for laughs, but they're still not as bad as the mindlessness of "pro" wrestling. Truthfully, I don't think many people that watch ECW or any other wrestling show will routinely tune into Stargate or BSG or Eureka or any of the other shows on the network.
                    Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                    RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

wrestling should not be on any channel. it totally stinks..

My Story:
                      http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

I grew up watching wrestling.

I haven't watched wrestling in close to five years, but I still tune in occasionally just to see if any of my favorites are still around. That being said. . . . no.

ECW does not belong on the Sci-Fi channel. No wrestling belongs on the Sci-Fi channel.

Comment

I highly agree with Skydiver here. I mean come on, Wrestling is in no way Sci-Fi. They have just lost me as a viewer during the time that wrestling is on. If I wanted to watch that barbaric garbage, I'll watch USA. I watch SCI-FI Channel for Science Fiction shows. I'm not into some barbaric blood sport where someone has to prove how much of a man he is by the amount of blood he draws from someone else... That kinda thing should have gone the way of the Roman Empire... Sorry, just my opinion.
                          Last edited by Tok'ra^Agent; 22 June 2008, 03:27 AM.
                          Some people try to turn back the Odometer of life... Not me, I want people to know the roads I've traveled. And not all of the roads were paved...

Comment

I completely think it should be on the scifi channel, I dont watch it but its just as fake as everything else on that channel, I'd have more of a problem if it was on a sporting channel for the following reasons,
                            there could be a hockey game on instead
                            its really not a sport, sports do not have scripts
                            and lastly there could be a hockey game on

Comment

Originally posted by shop_S_mart
                              I completely think it should be on the scifi channel, I dont watch it but its just as fake as everything else on that channel, I'd have more of a problem if it was on a sporting channel for the following reasons, there could be a hockey game on instead its really not a sport, sports do not have scripts and lastly there could be a hockey game on
                              Well, I agree it is all fake. And I respect your opinion shop_S_mart.
                              Some people try to turn back the Odometer of life... Not me, I want people to know the roads I've traveled. And not all of the roads were paved...

Comment

Working...
                              X