Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning! Dialing mutiple gates can result in split personalities!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning! Dialing mutiple gates can result in split personalities!

I was just wondering...in Reckoning when they dialed all the gates at once...what would happen if you stepped through the gate that dialed out?
    McKay:...ZedPM
    O'Neill: Zed?
    Jackson: He's Canadian
    O'Neill: I'm sorry

You'd probably be ripped apart by the wormholes....i mean...they're pulling you to an N number (where N is the number of Stargates in the Milky Way) of Stargates.....and since the Stargates don't recreate things unless their pattern is complete (As explained in SG:A's "Thirty Eight Minutes") you'd basically disappear while being scattered in nanometric pieces throughout the universe!!
    Elizabeth Weir, Ph. D.: I'm still trying to understand how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony.
    Dr. Rodney McKay: Oh, believe me, that's not the first thing we tried.
    Maj. John Sheppard: [Smug] I shot him.
    [Dr. Weir gives him "the look"]
    Maj. John Sheppard: In the leg!
    Dr. Rodney McKay: I'm invulnerable!
    Elizabeth Weir, Ph. D.: Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?
    Dr. Rodney McKay: [Smug] In-vul-nerable!

Comment

been asked many times. but i'd say nothing. only transports matter doesn't replicate it. can do energy as witnessed in said ep
      A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyFox
        been asked many times. but i'd say nothing. only transports matter doesn't replicate it. can do energy as witnessed in said ep

could you please explain me that??...'cause i didn't understand a thing of it
        Elizabeth Weir, Ph. D.: I'm still trying to understand how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony.
        Elizabeth Weir, Ph. D.: Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?

Comment

he means it takes A and moves it through gate to put A on the other side.

its unable to have A enter then it just makes A b c D E appear.. as bcd and e did not enter in the first place..

Comment

i'll try to dumb it down. stargates can't replicate (copy, like copy and paste) matter only energy (as seen in above ep)
            A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Or maybethey divided the energy from the Dakara device between all the gates (that sounds like that would make it really weak considering only a small portion of the wave went through the gate, but the gate was pretty close to the device), when matter can't be divided up.

Comment

Matter comes in chunks. Energy is a wave, it has different properties. Which is why a wave can propogate in all directions in a vacuum and a spaceship doesn't. It probably works the same way in the gate system. Its like pouring water down a pipe that splits into a bunch of branches. If you drop a block down the pipe, it'll only come out one of the other ends.

Comment

I suppose what happens depends on whether or not the Ancients thought of dialling multiple addresses when they built the gates or if it was just something they realised was possible afterwards.
                  Its not impossible that the gate is programmed to either refuse entry when dialling multiple gates (you bounce off the event horizon!) or if it is capable of telling one gate from another (like computers on a network) and just sending the data packet to the closest gate or if there is some way we don`t know of to define which gate you want to go to.

Once you start talking about individual gate identification things get alot more complicated so I think the simple answer is that you either get refused entry or ripped to pieces.

Just thought i`d throw the concept out there!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyFox
                    i'll try to dumb it down. stargates can't replicate (copy, like copy and paste) matter only energy (as seen in above ep)
                    Stargates don't replicate (copy/paste) matter, they simply break it apart into millions of nanometrics pieces and then reconstruct them on the other side, that's why i said that you'd be basically ripped apart, the entering point would break you down but no exit point would get the whole package so no exit point would recreate you.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathDealer19
                      Stargates don't replicate (copy/paste) matter, they simply break it apart into millions of nanometrics pieces and then reconstruct them on the other side, that's why i said that you'd be basically ripped apart, the entering point would break you down but no exit point would get the whole package so no exit point would recreate you.
                      I would think the puny pieces it breaks you into are somehow linked together so they should get to the same place. Its a stream of matter linked together, it can't go down two paths. IMO, when you step through something like that, you either get the closest gate (because the Ancients anticipated this), or you get randomly thrown out of one of the exit gates (if the Ancients never antcipated this situation).

Comment

Here's a little example if we take the universal fact that energy cannot be created or destroyed than if we sent a i don't know let's say a ZPM through the gate and then we would get a few houndred ZPM... So where did the energy that they would cointain come from? So it would probaby just dissipate your energy signiature between the gates

Comment

since the matter is converted into energy for the transfer, and i beleive the energy from the wave was split as it entered the wormhole, the the signal from the gate's systems through the wormhole would be treated in the same way so only fragments of that matter stream would be sent to individual gates, destroying you. unless there was a failsafe so that one specific address (say the first or the last dialled), so one specific wormhole from all the ones opened would receive a signal from the opening gate and prevent the matter stream from being split and destroyed, so you would appear on a specific place.

Comment

Originally posted by All hail the USAF
                            I was just wondering...in Reckoning when they dialed all the gates at once...what would happen if you stepped through the gate that dialed out?
                            u might come out in pieces

Comment

I could be wrong but didn't they send an "energy" weapon through the gate when they opened the multiple gates. And didn't this energy spread out to destroy the replicators. So if humans are turned into energy to go through the wormhole whats to say it wouldn't work like the energy weapon and we would get copies. I mean star trek got away with the whole transporter destroys you sends a blue print and then pieces you back together, and not many people yelled about it, if they had they would have changed it in next gen, or voyager, or DS9, even enterprise. However I think the ancients never thought of using the gates like that and since the had to "hack" the dhd to do it, they would have overridden any safety protocols left by the ancients.
                              sigpichttp://www.cafepress.com/newancients

Comment

Working...
                              X