Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it just me or do all episodes seem to just focus on one person...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it just me or do all episodes seem to just focus on one person...

it seems that these episodes have just focused on one person. new order - carter, lockdown - okay maybe thats an exception, zero hour - jack, icon - daniel, avatar - teal'c, i dunno i'm missing the sg1 goodness that is just going onto a planet not knowing what to expect and seeing the team encounter something or another, instead of let's just focus on what's going on with one character and not really do much that has anything to do with anything. so far season 8 hasn't been that enjoyable for me. and while i'm at it, i think it's sad that they probably won't bring jonas back one last time, i mean hey, they could use a fourth member anyway.
    Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
    Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
    Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
    Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

I understand what you mean, but imo, the only episode that i thought that actually focused on one character was Icon.

New Order didn't really only focus on Carter, because although Jack wasn't in the whole 2 hour premiere, i thought his character was more of the focus of the episode, Teal'c/Thor on the ship had something going on, Daniel and Weir with diplomacy with Ama and Cam, so i don't think you can count the premiere.

Lockdown, i didn't see it focusing on a character, but thats just me.

Zero Hour is absolutely a character based episode, for Jack.

Avatar in my opinion is half and half, because everyone in the episode had important roles to play, especially Daniel helping Teal'c in the game.

I am really enjoying S8, even though they aren't out exploring other worlds anymore, or as much as they used to, but i think they are doing this on purpose, i guess to attempt to get to know the characters even more. If the non off-world episodes include more people like Dr. Lee and people like Siler, i'll be satisfied

Also for Jonas part, i too want him to return, i read he would be happy to return but they havent asked him back
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Your right, they do seem to be giving each of them their own episode. While this is all fine and dandy I´d still prefere that they did mor team oriented things but with Jack stuck in the SGC they now find themselves trapped with having to write him into the shows somehow. If they did a show that happened 90% off world like they used to you wouldn´t see Jack at all except at the start and finish, this would of course make the RDA fans unhappy.

They really need to get a fourth member. If they hadn´t promoted Sam I´d suggested that they get Adam Baldwin, he was really cool as a colonel in charge of an SG team (See my avatar if you don´t remember him)

Comment

The reason that it seems that way is because since RDA's reduced schedule, it allows for more character development for the other three main characters. Jack being a General allows for him to develop without having to be onscreen as much.

Comment

It seems Jack is being used pretty good imo, especially like in Avatar, Jack was pretty much all over the episode.

Comment

But in order to have Jack there all the time they needed to keep the episode placed in the SGC. I for one would like to see some heavy duty off world exploration.

Comment

Yes, everyone can use off-world exporation Haha...

Comment

it's u
                - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                - The Nox

Comment

Why do you think most hate season seven... or what I like to call it season Sam. This is how it's going to be like until the show finally ends so get use to it.
                  It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by po134
                    it's u
                    Ditto.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

This isn't a uniquely SG1 problem. Most shows with an ensamble cast will start doing episodes that focus on one or two character at a time at some point. Star Trek usually mixes these types of episodes with 'team' episodes. Usually the 'team' episodes are the best but there are exceptions.

Of course some ensamble shows can do this more easily, Babylon 5 for instance because for it there was no 'team' as such.

We've gotten pretty used to seeing SG1 functioning as a team. I personally think it is (or was) one of the main strengths of the show. But now with some real world concerns (both RDA's schedule and I would also imagine that the other actors want to get episodes dedicated to them) and perhaps also with many of the 'team' story ideas exhausted the writers have been forced in this direction.

Season 7 suffered from this a bit. There were just a bit too many episodes (mostly focusing on Carter) that lacked any impact. It's all well and good to do these episodes but they must be done well, but then that applies to all episodes anyway

Season 8 has so far been better. The premier was good. It did split up the team but everyone (except O'Neil in part 1) was out there doing their job.

Lockdown managed to be a good 'team' episode (if not offplanet).

Zero Hour was pretty much a given. It was bleeding obvious that we'd get an ep. where Jack dealt with the fact that he was now in command. And although the show was not perfect it was pretty good.

Icon was sort of a Daniel episode, but not as heavily as Zero Hour was a Jack episode. It also benifited from an interesting story. Some of it could have been better, but it was above par.

Avatar is also clearly a Teal'c episode but again it managed to be entertaining.

The only thing missing so far in season 8 are more offplanet eps. and I'm sure we'll get more of that.

I am though of the opinion that the series needs another regular character.

Comment

I haven't seen it that way. Everything seems pretty balanced so far, even with RDA supposedly not being around so much this season.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                          Why do you think most hate season seven...
                          Correction: This is why you hate season seven. "Most" people don't.
                          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

well going into the season i expected something like this, to balance and grow the new character dynamics....

With Jack's promotion and the resulting Carter promotion - each character needed an ep for a bit of redefinition as it were.....show them each in the new light of the new structure of the SDC.
                            Thanks!
                            Jordan

my page
                            My LJ
                            From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

it does seem to be that way yes in lockdown and zero hour it seemed to be about jack and icon,about daniel. and in avatar, teal'c
                              My Stargate Forum:

http://www.gatefans.co.nr

Comment

Working...
                              X