Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GateWorld and GateWorld Forum Discussion Thread (Comment on the Suggestion Box here)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GateWorld and GateWorld Forum Discussion Thread (Comment on the Suggestion Box here)

Hello
    This is a spinoff thread from the "Gateworld Surgestion Box" aimed at those people who want to discuss the various features of the site and surgestions made to improve.
    Talk about the forum's in a polite way please, say what you like/dislike and hopefully we will get some good discussion on what makes Gateworld great from both a personal and for the mod's and admins professional perspective.

Immhotep
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Just wanted to say love the new look -- when i first signed on i thought i had gone to the wrong place!!!!

and well .... thanks for keeping Jack in the header mix .... he is why i came here in the first place and i would have hated not having him around anymore!!!

so thanks!!! GateWorld -- my only complaint is that i spend wayyyy toooo much time here!!!

teehee
    sigpic
    SCORE!!
    The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      What are the odds of setting it up so that newbies are prevented from starting threads for X amount of time? This will stop slow the floods whenever something critical happens and the board becomes overrun with people signing up to talk about it- not just the whole cancellation thing, but other news items and OMG! announcements as well.

Granted, not ALL duplicate threads are started by newbies, quite a few are created by people who SHOULD know better, but it still might help. And even in non-flood times it might help cut down on all the random threads that pop up in strange places. It also might help put a crimp in the "check out this great deal" spammers.

I can understand it seeming too "unfriendly" for the open nature of Gateworld, but I figured I'd toss the idea out anyway.
      Sounds good to me, though could you combineboth time and post counts? Say 1 month and 200 posts, as people may sign up, not post for ages and then make loads of threads, OR, spam the place, get 200 posts in about 4 or 5 days and then spam with however many threads.

Alternatively could you just have it as an option to switch on whenever something big happens or is that not possible?

Darren, just a thought, why would it require post validation, couldnt you simply set up a user tier like with the avatars?
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
        Sounds good to me, though could you combineboth time and post counts? Say 1 month and 200 posts, as people may sign up, not post for ages and then make loads of threads, OR, spam the place, get 200 posts in about 4 or 5 days and then spam with however many threads.

Alternatively could you just have it as an option to switch on whenever something big happens or is that not possible?

Darren, just a thought, why would it require post validation, couldnt you simply set up a user tier like with the avatars?
        Another idea would be to use reputation but that could be unfair to people who got a lot of red.
        Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
        Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
        -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity
          Another idea would be to use reputation but that could be unfair to people who got a lot of red.
          People who get a lot of red don't deserve ANY privileges.

Comment

I want you guys to alter the terms and agreements when joining gateworld so that you must hook yourself up to a shock device - remember that simpsons episode where they all could shock each other in those chairs?- anyway every time someone give you a red point you are shocked in your chair at the computer!!!!!!

hehe - that would encourage conformity around here lol

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
              i got a idea can we ban the stupid people
              and who would THEY be I wonder?? judge not lest ye be judged

Comment

Originally posted by principia
                and who would THEY be I wonder?? judge not lest ye be judged
                Agreed, some people seem to think they are apart of a master race on the board. I acknowledge that each person on this forum have made stupid comments, everyone was once a newbie, etc

Disagreement is what the forum is all about...something some have to learn the hard way.

Comment

I really think if GW is going to have limits on sig sizes and people are just going to keep ignore the limits that GW needs to look at some way to make it mandatory, no choice. There must be a way to do that if you can do it for avatars...if you can only do it with images then fine we only get to use images and not loads of text lines... just add the text to the image.

I know this is my personal bug, but what is so darn hard about understanding 50KB 700 by 200 including all text! I just don't get people who say they didn't know it meant the text as well.

I swear the Mods are ignoring my reports... *oh it's just her again*

Comment

Good news Willow Cat....that is one of the new things that 3.6 offers if I am not mistaken

and no we don't ignore the reports but we do try to give people time to make the change if at all possible rather than swoop in and do it ourselves. However, we have been a bit busy these last few days and it has been hard to follow up on some of the more mundane things of Forum House-keeping
                    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I still think there should be some way to stop newbies from creating new threads without putting them on moderation or whatever.

Comment

I am not sure how much this could potentially slow down the site, but would it be possible to create a section where we could watch video preview clips of upcoming eps....for sci fi shows listed on the page?

Also would it be possible to extend this so that we could see clips like interviews?

Further there have been a ton of fan videos that have been made to save sg-1, and I wonder if the site could create a page dedicitated to this campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                          Good news Willow Cat....that is one of the new things that 3.6 offers if I am not mistaken
                          Yay! **throws confetti**

I am not sure about the no new threads by newbies, I started the 10th Doctor Thunk thread when I was a newbie and that is a fine thread, when I remember to post in it.

I think some way like with rep, where you just can't start a new thread for 24/48 hours as being a little more workable. I think some of the more useless threads could be eliminated by doing that, I mean if you are starting threads because you are bored or you think your opening post is funny then having to wait 24/48 hours should be enough to have you forget you were even going to start that thread.

Comment

I do think this is a good idea, and i think there should be propper groups used when GW goes in to its next evolution, sometime in september i believe...its one thing Gw is missing, actual group, i know with larger forums its harder but i think its an idea, the shippers, the techies, the thunkers, the lurkers, the newbies, the mega posters...there are LOTS of groups of people on Gw that deserve a group option IMO
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

Cant say I like the idea of groups myself, its just a way of alienating others that will just end in an uncomfortable atmosphere around here IMO
                              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Working...
                              X