X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asurans and the 3 laws of robotics

Three Laws of Robotics

* A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. o "Runaround" in Astounding Science Fiction (March 1942); later published in I, Robot (1950). This statement is known as "The First Law of Robotics"

* A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. o "Runaround" in Astounding Science Fiction (March 1942); later published in I, Robot (1950). This statement is known as "The Second Law of Robotics"

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws. o "Runaround" in Astounding Science Fiction (March 1942); later published in I, Robot (1950). This statement is known as "The Third Law of Robotics"

How is it that a brilliant species like the Ancients didn't design their replicators to not attack any form of human, Ancient or not?

Easy, they didn't have Asimov.

Comment

your totally right....but if they did then there would be no enemy.....even though it sucks that its the replicators AAAAGAIN, ok yes they dont have the rule to replicate but its still the same damn robots (although more advanced) as we have seen before....is it so hard to come up with a new enemy

Comment

hmm...they actually did....but in this case, they designed the Asurans not to attack the ancients

Comment

Indeed, Asimov did not take into account other sentient species with his rules.

Comment

They did not design them like that because they would be a really boring enemy if the did nothing bad. The Ancients were looking out for the entertainment of us humble viewers and wanted to give us more action.
            Weir: He's just a boy!
            Jinto: I am Jinto.
            Sheppard: She's pleased to meet you.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

Originally posted by halem111
              your totally right....but if they did then there would be no enemy.....even though it sucks that its the replicators AAAAGAIN, ok yes they dont have the rule to replicate but its still the same damn robots (although more advanced) as we have seen before....is it so hard to come up with a new enemy
              So? You can think of the Ori as a race of Anubises (uber-Goa'ulds), while the Crusaders (Ori Warriors) are just a new form of "Jaffa".

Based on your last statement... if you think it's "so easy" to make a new enemy, how's about you come up with one yourself?

--------------------
              Typical science fiction (TV, movies, games) villains:
              *Robots/Machines=
              Cylons
              Replicators
              Asurans
              The Borg
              iRobot robots
              Battle Droids
              Terminators
              Matrix Sentinels

*Parasites(get in your body)/Bug-like creatures:
              Goa'uld
              Wraith (Iratus)
              Giant Bugs from Starship Troopers
              Aliens
              Predator
              Mimic bugs
              Body snatchers
              Roach alien from M.I.B.2
              aliens from StarCraft

*Evil or "different" people (usually with some agenda... like religion, Genocide, domination or was twisted or "changed" in some way)
              The Brotherhood of Mutants
              The Ori Followers
              Aschen
              Necromongers from Riddick
              Crabheads/Zombies from Half-Life
              Orcs from LOTR ("changed/mutated/twisted" versions of the Elves)
              Easterlings & Haradrim from LOTR (worships Sauron)

The various enemy aliens from various science fictions shows/movies/games counts as this as these people are "different" and not like "you or me". Such as the enemy Cardassians, the Empire, and etc.

As you can see from the list, you can pretty much lump the different types of villains into 3 major categories. So many things just gets recycled... this includes villains.

------------------------------------

In the real world, we've encountered "villains" from all 3 categories. This is why these are the archetypal villains, because it's something thats not that hard to imagine and it's things we've encountered and thus can makes us have a fear response.

There's people with religious, political/domination, or genocidal aspirations throughout history. Everything from the Mongol empire, the colonial empires, to the Communists, to the mass-murdering Nazis, and today's fanatical religious-militants. The wars and battles that these people bring costs millions of lives.

We're also fighting "parasitical villains", called pathological microbs such as harmful bacteria and viruses. Microbs like Ebolah, Influenza, and etc. wreck havoc on the populace and kills many people.

The machines we've built, although they themselves haven't reached conciousness and turned on us. The ones we've invented such as combat tanks, warplanes, and etc. have been used against other people. Technology that was designed and built to kill people...
              Last edited by Peoples_General; 19 August 2006, 10:31 PM.
              http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
              http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

it kinda pissed me off that is was quite the same but diffrent ancient replicators :/ if they where the same replicators? or maybe evil ancients that wernt alowd to accend that'd be summit it seems we've delt with the wraith pretty quickly an dwe needed sum1 harder. anyone get the feeling we're becomming much more badass then the ancients?

SAVE STARGATE!!!!!! http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/index.html

http://strifetv.proboards101.com/

Comment

You have to remember that this is the same advanced civilisation that forgot to include a fail safe mechanism when the engine pods on a jumper fail to retract...like a flashing blue light or something, maybe something with sound.

In response to the three laws? The Nanites rewrote it.

Comment

Because they were never designed to be that complicated. When they started evolving and growing in complexity, the Ancients allowed them to do so unhindered, wanting to see what happened. Obviously they made a rather large error of judgement there. It just never really occured to the Ancients that a weapon they were creating to fight the Wraith would do so by wanting to harm humans.
                    sigpic
                    by Kaaatie

Comment

Its getting to seem like the four great races weren't that smart.
                      Asgard= unsolvable problem of cloning processes,overconfident and do not take every thing into account. the simple replicators were going to overwhelm them and we had to save them
                      Nox=?????? they are too nice(but so far seem to be the best)
                      Ancients=aregant and over confident advanced humans that do not take evreything into acount(leeding a less advanced but outnumberring race to overwhelm them.
                      People of Fur(Furlings[like Earthlings])=too peaceful race that don't take everything into account, leeding the Goa'uld to destroy(so far as i know) all of them living in Euthopia by a biological weapon in the simple form of an eatable plant that has evolved to produce defences that cause a organism feeding on it to destroy the others in a population.
                      of course it has been studied that Robotic laws are very complicated.

We have already designed simple learning robots with laws such as these:
                      1.Keep moving forward
                      2.Don't run into anything
                      when placed into a walled circle were it was pretty much impossible not to run into somethingthe robots behaved in an inapropriate bypassing of the laws reaction :they either ran in circular formation(which is not really moving forward but kinda to one side, they aligned them self to others to move forward in a circle but still each propalsing forward(the best and still following the rules idea, or one of them actually was self destroctive and kept running into the wall and eventually just stoped moving.

So you see the laws that the ancients would have to put would have to be uncontradicting. preety much the only way to do that is to have only one law. so being agressive and not attacking the ancients would not work because attacking is a form of agresion.
                      The MT one has MT will,
                      The MT one is MT still!!!
                      ||| savestargatesg1.com |||
                      ||| save sg1 |||

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                        So? You can think of the Ori as a race of Anubises (uber-Goa'ulds), while the Crusaders (Ori Warriors) are just a new form of "Jaffa".

Based on your last statement... if you think it's "so easy" to make a new enemy, how's about you come up with one yourself?

--------------------
                        Typical science fiction (TV, movies, games) villains:
                        *Robots/Machines=
                        Cylons*(new-series)
                        Replicators*(human-form)
                        Asurans*
                        The Borg*
                        "I, Robot" robots
                        Battle Droids
                        Terminators*(the "infiltrator" models and the original Arnie cyborg)
                        The Matrix's machines*(Agents)
                        I've starred the ones that are designed to trick humans. Oh, and it's not called iRobot, that's the company that makes Roombas, it's "I, Robot".

*Parasites(get in your body)/Bug-like creatures:
                        Goa'uld
                        Wraith (Iratus)
                        Giant Bugs from Starship Troopers
                        Aliens
                        Predator
                        Mimic bugs
                        Body snatchers
                        Roach alien from M.I.B.2
                        aliens from StarCraft
                        I'd put the headcrabs here instead of in the third group.

*Evil or "different" people (usually with some agenda... like religion, Genocide, domination or was twisted or "changed" in some way)
                        The Brotherhood of Mutants
                        The Ori Followers
                        Aschen
                        Necromongers from Riddick
                        Crabheads/Zombies from Half-Life
                        Orcs from LOTR ("changed/mutated/twisted" versions of the Elves)
                        Easterlings & Haradrim from LOTR (worships Sauron)
                        I've already mentioned that the Headcrabs don't really fit here, and I'd add the Jaffa and the Combine from HL2.

The various enemy aliens from various science fictions shows/movies/games counts as this as these people are "different" and not like "you or me". Such as the enemy Cardassians, the Empire, and etc.

As you can see from the list, you can pretty much lump the different types of villains into 3 major categories. So many things just gets recycled... this includes villains.

------------------------------------

In the real world, we've encountered "villains" from all 3 categories. This is why these are the archetypal villains, because it's something thats not that hard to imagine and it's things we've encountered and thus can makes us have a fear response.

There's people with religious, political/domination, or genocidal aspirations throughout history. Everything from the Mongol empire, the colonial empires, to the Communists, to the mass-murdering Nazis, and today's fanatical religious-militants. The wars and battles that these people bring costs millions of lives.

We're also fighting "parasitical villains", called pathological microbs such as harmful bacteria and viruses. Microbs like Ebolah, Influenza, and etc. wreck havoc on the populace and kills many people.

The machines we've built, although they themselves haven't reached conciousness and turned on us. The ones we've invented such as combat tanks, warplanes, and etc. have been used against other people. Technology that was designed and built to kill people...
                        Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                        Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                        -Audioslave

Comment

You forgot the Zeroth Law & the updated First Law:

O: A Robot may not Harm Humanity, or through inaction, allow Humanity to come to Harm

1: A Robot may not Harm a Human Being, or through inaction, allow a Human Being to come to Harm, as long as such action does not conflict with the Zeroth Law.

-----------------

They might have this Law, but seeing as we're not Lantien Beings (the Lantiens would have had that, or something akin, inplace of Human Beings) they could attack!

(Unless they have actually Harmed a Lantien? I'm not sure... They're can harbour feelings of agression to Lantiens, just not allow them to come to Harm )

------------------

If they did have the Zeroth Law Installed:

When the Lantirens wanted to destroy them, thye wouldn't allow it as they are Protecting them against the Wraith (No Asurans, no protection), they wouldn't allow themselves to be destroyed as it would be dooming the Lantiens, so they resisted as to protect the Lantien Race; a few Dead Lantiens is nothing compared to The entire Lantien Race being wiped-out!
                          Last edited by The Prophet; 20 August 2006, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                            Easy, they didn't have Asimov.
                            Aint that the truth!
                            Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Originally posted by MTgate
                              Its getting to seem like the four great races weren't that smart.
                              Asgard= unsolvable problem of cloning processes,overconfident and do not take every thing into account. the simple replicators were going to overwhelm them and we had to save them
                              Nox=?????? they are too nice(but so far seem to be the best)
                              Ancients=aregant and over confident advanced humans that do not take evreything into acount(leeding a less advanced but outnumberring race to overwhelm them.
                              People of Fur(Furlings[like Earthlings])=too peaceful race that don't take everything into account, leeding the Goa'uld to destroy(so far as i know) all of them living in Euthopia by a biological weapon in the simple form of an eatable plant that has evolved to produce defences that cause a organism feeding on it to destroy the others in a population.
                              If we are now truly 'The Fifth Race' I think we outclass all of them. We roam around the galaxy in ships and our home planet is still intact which is more than i can say for the other races. Members of humanity have also ascended too.
                              Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Working...
                              X