Canon to the left of them, canon to the right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon to the left of them, canon to the right

First of all...anyone to get what the topic title is a reference to gets brownie points from me...but moving on...

I was just curious if anyone knew the definitive canon status of several Stargate novels/books/comics etc? I know we all have personal oppinions, but does anyone know what either the producers or MGM say? My question covers several items:

Stargate SG-1 Novels (RoC) - These books were written by Ashley McConnel, and as far as I'm aware were not MGM licensed...there's only 4 of them (that I know of and own) and fit to the most part with the Stargate SG-1 show.

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis Novels (Fandemonium Ltd) - These books are written by fans of the show (note: they don't produce just anything and everything goes through MGM first), and definitely have MGM licensing. They, in the most part, fit perfectly well with the show and I haven't really noticed any problems at all so far...they also said the Furlings were the Giant Aliens from "Nick's planet" rather than the current furry things from the 200th ep.

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis Comics - I'm not entirely sure of the license situation with these comics...they're produced by Avatar Press/Pulsar and, again, fit with the show; they even tell you roughly when they're set during the first few panels.

Stargate SG-1 RPG - Once more, they're fully licensed by MGM and this time are produced by Alderac Entertainment. This is actually the one I'm most curious about as they contain the most information, and actually say inside them that they're to be considered canon.

Stargate the Movie Comics - These...I'd be tempted not to even ask about. There were only about 5 of them or so, they're based on the movie rather than the series and so have some mistakes...such as another second gate on Earth (note: they were created long before SG-1), this time it's simply a prototype. They were produced by Entity Comics, and I have no idea if they were licensed either by MGM (shouldn't be, they had nothing to do with the show) or whoever the licensee for the movie would be.

You can leave your own personal opinion on this if you like, but please note it as your personal opinion rather than say you know it's fact. If you do, however, know that it's fact then please provide how you know this, ie. message board posts, interviews, statements etc.

And finally...thanks for any replies.

Originally posted by Jaymach
    First of all...anyone to get what the topic title is a reference to gets brownie points from me...but moving on...
    The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

I think that in terms of movie comics they are definetly not canon. Since the O'neill in our universe has a slightly different name (the movie o'neill is spelt o'neil) and i belive that the producers have commented that they consider the show a slightly alternate reality to the movies (being that different actors play the same character).

Not sure on the rest as canon though?
      Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
        The Charge of the Light Brigade
        Yes and no...that's where the original is from...but there it's spelled cannon. This particular one is from somewhere else.

Originally posted by stewsith
        I think that in terms of movie comics they are definetly not canon. Since the O'neill in our universe has a slightly different name (the movie o'neill is spelt o'neil) and i belive that the producers have commented that they consider the show a slightly alternate reality to the movies (being that different actors play the same character).
        Yeah that's about what I figure too...I mean the comics are nice and all...but I've just been heaping them in with the run-off Movie novels as non-canon...just thought I'd ask if there was an official opinion or not though.

Comment

Not entirely sure if you're allowed to bump topics on this forum...but I really need to know if anyone else has a definite answer for this so that I can argue the case on a Stargate wiki and write more entries for it. So...uh...bump...and feel free to tell me if you're not allowed to do this so that I don't do it again.

Comment

I've heard that the producers only consider the two current shows as the only canon.
            No anime, no comic book, no novelisation, no RPG guide.

Alderac has lost the rights for SG since a long time now btw. They still have an active SG community, but it ends there.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

It's the movie and then on with the shows and that all. That's the first movie. The rest takes off from there. The show is based off the first and then starts with The Children of The Gods season 1 ep. 01. No books or novels except for the movie book.
              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

I wouldn't take the Furlings bit seriously in 200.

Beyond that, Steeler's Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you
                The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                  I've heard that the producers only consider the two current shows as the only canon.
                  No anime, no comic book, no novelisation, no RPG guide.

Alderac has lost the rights for SG since a long time now btw. They still have an active SG community, but it ends there.
                  Yeah I know they lost the license back when it was passed to Sony, but after I posted this and noticed the "related threads" bit at the bottom, it threw up something that led me to a thread on the Alderac boards...namely this one. It seems to go more in depth and leads me to believe that the RPG is canon as far as the Starget licensers are involved, at least, if not the producers themselves (though I still have no proof of them saying this).

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                  It's the movie and then on with the shows and that all. That's the first movie. The rest takes off from there. The show is based off the first and then starts with The Children of The Gods season 1 ep. 01. No books or novels except for the movie book.
                  Do you actually have proof of this? I've seen a few people saying it, but none seem to have proof...it seems most have either heard it from someone else or are following the Star Trek canon method...but if you have any proof then I'm more than happy to hear it.

Comment

Well I've now asked Karen Miller through PM what her view on how canon the novels is and she...couldn't give an official answer, heh. What she has done, however, is given me her opinion (which, IMO, weighs much more than my own) as well as more detail as to exactly what goes on with MGM for the books to be published...here's what she said:

Originally posted by Karen Miller
                    Hey Andrew --

you know, I don't have an official answer for that question. My personal feeling is that the novels are 'secondary' canon, insofar as they are approved by MGM and so carry a level of authenticity that, say, fanfic doesn't.

However, since it's highly unlikely events depicted in the novels will ever be referenced in the series, and since it's always possible (given that the production company folk don't vet the manuscripts prior to publication) something will be referenced in an upcoming episode that directly contradicts something stated in a novel, I don't think they can safely be called primary canon. What's on screen comes first -- in my book, anyhow.

Of course, since many of us are setting our novels in the earlier seasons, and since those days are behind us now, the chances of them contradicting those events are slim. In that sense, I think the novels are canon, because they come under the umbrella of studio approval. Also, the MGM overseer is very clear that we can only include material that has onscreen factual support, or does not directly undermine what has been recorded onscreen.

It's a bit of a minefield. As a nitpicky canon freak myself, I do believe what I write isn't ultimate canon. That distinction belongs to the writers/producers. But after that, there's the novels. *g*

Hope that helps ...

Karen
                    I quite like her idea of "secondary canon"...it's much the same as the Star Wars canon method, where you have the films which superceded everything then the novels/comics/RPG books/etc..it's a system which works for the most part, and I personally think could be applied here also. Of course it's entirely up to fans if they'd want to accept this secondary canon, but hey...it always is up to them what they want to personally accept.

Any other thoughts?

Comment

Hmm...probably not the best time for me to have posted this...it seems to have slipped to the bottom of all the Stargate SG-1 cancellation threads...ah well...I'm still trying to find out the status (and have now e-mails Fandemonium, at least) and so am still looking for any other opinions.

Additionally, with the ceasure of new SG-1 episodes, will anyone here now go on to read the novels as the only way to get new SG-1 continuity? I can certainly advise doing it, as they're a great resource...and it may get more interest in them, thus leading to more of a canon debate. At least I can hope so...

Comment

Shows, movies and webisodes are canon, books, rpgs, audibooks, magazines are not canon and should never be included in anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X