"Andromeda" Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    I've never paid enough attention to notice items like that. Can you give examples?
    The show was filmed in Canada so I recognized lots of items from the Dollar store and Ikea. Small example was the hair clips in Trance's hair. My husband watches some episodes with me and we play spot the cheap item.
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I'm on season 3 and well the show just doesn't seem as good anymore. Sigh. Hoping there will be more gems than duds as i keep watching.

Comment

One of my favourites was those trans dimensional aliens that kept attacking the Andromeda. We never knew any huge details about them, which I felt was a good thing, but they were one of my favourite things.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I'm gearing up for the 2 parter to end season 4. I just don't feel excited to watch this show anymore. Season 4 was a big let down. I'll finish season 5 just because I like to see the end of something. But it's a lot like my watch of Babylon 5. Except I really like season 1 and 2 of Andromeda. I didn't like any season of B5. Guess I can't like all sci-fi.

Comment

UGH. Will season 5 ever end? I just went through 3 episodes with lots of kissing. I guess the punching and shooting makes up for it? Don't know but I want them to fix the damn ship and leave for adventures again. I have about 13 episodes to go and just find myself rolling my eyes like crazy. The jokes aren't even funny anymore. I'll limp along because I'm curious what kind of crappy ending I may get to see. Or I might be surprised. One can only hope.

Comment

I've been a long time fan of Andromeda but they missed an opportunity in the episode The Mathematics of Tears in regards to the Pax Magellanic. Given that she was one of, if not the first Glorious Heritage class cruisers she would have had made multiple pre-combat personality backups during her life right?? All Harper and Rommie would have to do is locate and reactive one of her previous versions (preferably one from before Capitan Warrick took command) and "restore" the core AI to that previous version of herself. That way the Pax could have been repaired and left the system.

Comment

I made it through Season 5. WTF was that? Ugh. This show started out with such promise and ended plunging into an "abyss".

Comment

I think most people share that reaction. There was a change in writers/producers or something like that. The main guy behind it got fired or left for reasons I can't remember. So the plot threads he started were abandoned and replaced by others. In my opinion, that's when the promise the show originally had disappeared and it's almost like you started watching another show entirely.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

This was a few minutes long with old timey / silent film music and antics by the cast (it was actually silent too - no speech) - lots of sticking tongue out and finger in nose. Not unlike the Keystone Cops.

It was very funny and endearing.

I can simply not find it on the internet. Although I have it recorded on tape or HDD somewhere, I'd like to find it on the internet to share with my friends.

Thanks
                    Tom

Comment

The Nietzscheans don't strike me as the smartest people ever for instance.

"When you overthrow the Systems Commonwealth since you thought it was too weak to protect you against the Magog invasion's scouts, causing three centuries of anarchy leaving the galaxy helpless against the primary Magog invasion force."
                      "When you're supposedly genetically superior but a three-hundred-year-old kluge consistently beats you."
                      "When you've never had a society which didn't collapse into civil war."
                      "When you hate kluges, but treat the carcass of one as a sacred relic."
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Rev Bem was the only interesting character in the early seasons. Sad that the actor couldn't handle the prosthetics. Also the intro theme song was much better in the S01-02, loved the electric guitar riffs.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          Rev Bem was the only interesting character in the early seasons. Sad that the actor couldn't handle the prosthetics. Also the intro theme song was much better in the S01-02, loved the electric guitar riffs.
                          Is that what happened? I never heard. Just thought the actor (Feretti from Children of the Gods) had other things to do. He did play a wraith, so it never would have occurred to me.
                          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Actually, it wasn't because he was allergic. That was widely reported at the time and it made sense because it's something that has happened to actors previously. An extreme example is Virginia Hey who played Zhaan in "Farscape" and left that show the same year that Brent Stait left "Andromeda." Virginia had such an extreme reaction to her makeup that it was doing damage to her kidneys.

Brent, on the other hand, has said that he left, not because he was allergic, but because he found the whole process exhausting:

R3: You left the show for health reasons, right? Latex allergies? I ask because there was a rumor that you were forced out of the show, so I figured we could put that all to rest once and for all one way or another.

STAIT: I left the show because I was exhausted. I never had any reaction to the make up other than I was in it for hours and hours on end. I don't know where that allergy idea popped up. I was chemically burned once but that was not do to allergy. The suit was combination of Yak hair and synthetic I believe and it was very very hot, the Latex was thick. Covered my head and neck completely and the days on set were very long. So...well you know the rest.
                            Source: http://www.republibot.com/content/interview-brent-stait

The above interview was from 2011. In one that he did while the show was on the air he spoke about how exhausting it could be both being put in the makeup and having to be in it all day. Note that he mentions previous experience being in heavy makeup and the last paragraph where he talks about being in a haze at the end of a long day:

Q: How early have you had to get up for the makeup?

A: It takes three hours in the morning to get it on. I usually get called in quite a bit earlier than everybody else. They've changed it as it's gone on; it used to be a little hairier. They took some of the facial hair off and had a neckpiece made of fur changed into latex rubber. It's better looking for the character, and it's less itchy! That's the worst part of it, the neckpiece. It's all pretty itchy after awhile, though. When you audition and they say 'Full prosthetics,' you say 'Oh, sure.' Then you see it and you go, 'Oh.' And then you put it on and you go, 'OH!'

Q: Had you done it before?

A: I did a show called Welcome to Paradox, and in that I morph. I take this serum that I invented and it takes me back instead of forward genetically. I devolve. I had to wear a lot of latex for that, but it wasn't foam rubber I wore in that, it was that gelatin rubber stuff, and that's hideous. This is a little better. You don't really feel the weight of it. But at the end of the day, we usually shoot 12 hours, sometimes 16 hours. There's a lot of application and a lot of glue, and then a lot of remover -- you have to take it off at the end of the day. I've had 18-hour days in that neck thing, which is horrific. If I have to do it four days in a row, then I'm in pain. I like to get two days in a row and then have a day off if I can, but it doesn't always work that way.

Q: Of the Duras sisters on Star Trek.

A: She's a friend of mine, and we have a same agent. I saw her picture as a Klingon long before I did Rev. There's a little bit of her face showing. The only thing showing on me are the whites of my eyes. They wanted me to wear contacts at the beginning, we talked about that, but I said, it's hard enough to act through this stuff. Now you have to take the windows of my soul? I find that half the stuff I do with the character comes through the expressions of his eyes. Things that people take for granted acting to show expression -- you don't have to do anything, if you have a thought, people can read it -- but when you have latex on, they can't. So you have to come up with a way of acting that shows the same things in a different way. It might be the tilt of a head. If you look at puppies, they tilt their head and everybody goes, 'Oh isn't that cute.' You find different ways of expressing stuff, maybe a soft growl from my character, that's the way I've tried to find expression.

There are things that are hard to do, and you don't want to get stage-y about it. Picking anything up is a nightmare. When I first had to do it, I kept saying, 'Come on, guys, let's think practical. I can't hold anything.' Then they changed the structure of the hands, they made them very soft. The feet were hard, I couldn't move, and they fixed that too, they put a Nike sneaker inside the boot. We had to do a couple of trial and errors. The guy who puts my makeup and myself came up with this idea and it worked; the boot is now a very soft slipper that goes over the shoe, so I can run and jump and do all kinds of things, which is great.

People don't realize that when you cover your whole skin with makeup, your skin can't breathe. It's really tiring being encapsulated like that all the time, and you sweat an incredible amount. You have to constantly replenish your body with fluids. Towards the end of the day, I find that I can't concentrate, and it's not the easiest type of dialogue in the world to do. My technobabble doesn't always have a lot to do with the plot -- I just come in and start spouting. With Gord [Woolvett]'s stuff at least it's always pertinent to the story, and he's good at it. He's a sci-fi buff.
                            Source: http://www.littlereview.com/getcriti...iews/stait.htm

The initial report of an allergy appears to come from an interview that I found saved in a copy and paste on a message board:

The actor had been having many problems coping with his heavy make-up. "Brent had a severe allergic reaction to the considerable prosthetic, it became unbearable, although he was a serious trouper."
                            Source: https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/20192/

It attributes its quotes to "Tribune director of creative programming Seth Howard and Fireworks supervising producer Karen Wookey." Why exactly one of them said that I have no idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X