Elizabeth Weir/Torri Higginson WOW Thread - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramne
    Jessica Steen is 38... while some would consider that old, she is 4 months younger than Amanda Tapping. That age is just fine to me
    Amanda Tapping is 38? Damn, she's not that much younger than my mom, who is 42. She looks really good for her age. I still like the new Dr. Weir better. I love intelligent, powerful women...it's a turn on hehe. I also like older women, but I just didn't care for the blonde Weir as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
      I'm just wincing that this is back again, after the mods had to lock ALL the other threads and create their own.... nothing good can come of this...

1) TPTB decided to recast, as the character and show is their creation and they knew what they wanted from it, I trust that they had a reason for deciding to go with someone other than JS. It seems a shame that people have taken to attacking TH before she even appeared on screen, and have persisted in what it seems like personal attacks on her acting ability, her appearance, and any number of other levels.

There is no debating or discussing at that point, because it simply comes down to a matter of preference, and in this case, the only people who's preference matters is TPTB.

2) I have talked my head off trying to defend the character from any number of people who dislike the character. It seems to me that it comes down, also, to issues that can't be discussed or debated. It seems that there are those in the fandom who are intent on hating the character and bashing her at every attempt. Which is a shame, because SG fandom is generally respectful of parts of the show that we dont' care for but others like. Yet every Weir appreciation thread is immediately piled on by negativity.

I don't jump into threads for characters or elements that i don't like to let the air out of other's balloons. It's just a shame that some take such apparent joy in it.
      I agree dude. The new Dr. Weir is a good actress and a fairly good character. The only complaint I have is that we don't get to see her in action much since she's always back at the City or something. I would like to see more of her in an episode, but for the most part, considering where she is and what resources she has, she's done a damn good job at keeping things together. I respect her and think she's evolving as a character. I mean, the show has only been on a month. There is room to grow.

So far, I've been impressed with all of the recurring characters. I think they work well together and are evolving just like the SG-1 characters did in the first and second season. They've done a great job with character development. The only characters I don't like were the other athosians, but since they're not on the city anymore, who cares!

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
        The original Dr. Weir was a lot older, like in her 40s. SHe was the doctor from the old Earth 2 series from back in the 90s. She was cuter back then cuz she was a lot younger, not old. heh
        So that's where I've seen her. Been sondering why she looked familiar.

She was also in a movie calles On Hostile Ground. I wouldn't have even known it wa her if I hadnn't caught the name in the credits. She looked entirely different!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
          So that's where I've seen her. Been sondering why she looked familiar.

She was also in a movie calles On Hostile Ground. I wouldn't have even known it wa her if I hadnn't caught the name in the credits. She looked entirely different!
          Ya, Jessica Steen was Dr. Heller, the physician, on "Earth 2", which was an NBC series from like 1993 or 1994. I remember watching it in elementary school, like in fourth grade I think. She started off as a "bad guy", like a double agent, but eventually became good. It wasn't a bad show from what I remember.

The Sci-fi channel had Earth 2 for a while, but like usual, they stopped playing a good show in place of their usual crap. They used to play Space Above and Beyond too, and that was another cool 90s show.

Check out my "Why the sci-fi chan sux" thread

Comment

Originally posted by 2BAM
            Weir ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Merc for hire...
            - "The Deep End of the Pool"

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
              Amanda Tapping is 38? Damn, she's not that much younger than my mom, who is 42. She looks really good for her age. I still like the new Dr. Weir better. I love intelligent, powerful women...it's a turn on hehe. I also like older women, but I just didn't care for the blonde Weir as much.
              thats show business for you.
              Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
              Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
              Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
              Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

LordAnubis: Earth 2

Yes, I remember the show, and that she was there as a government agent. I liked the show for the most part. I didn't like that little boy who was to be their 'saviour,' but I did enjoy Tim Curry's role as convict on one-time penal colony/planet. Will check out thread. *winks*

Back to topic...

The new Weir needs to get some hair care tips from the wraith!
                Last edited by Ancient 1; 26 August 2004, 06:06 PM. Reason: relevance

Comment

Gee, thanks for the "red." Atleast I liked one out of two of the Drs. Weir!

So you can just:

Comment

Don't mind her so much anymore...just don't like when they switch actors on you. Have to "re adjust". Anyhow, do you think she will end up falling into a "Hammond" type role where she is important but not really in an active part of most episodes and the team takes all the action?

Comment

Originally posted by AmyE
                      Don't mind her so much anymore...just don't like when they switch actors on you. Have to "re adjust". Anyhow, do you think she will end up falling into a "Hammond" type role where she is important but not really in an active part of most episodes and the team takes all the action?
                      I sure hope she goes out and gets her hands dirty once in awhile. It can add to her perspective of what's going on out there, and she can stop making ignorant comments about the wraith and the Geneva Convention. She needs to be more than a figurehead.

Comment

Quoting first post:

Originally posted by 2BAM
                        What you said, 2BAM
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                          I sure hope she goes out and gets her hands dirty once in awhile. It can add to her perspective of what's going on out there, and she can stop making ignorant comments about the wraith and the Geneva Convention. She needs to be more than a figurehead.
                          Well, even after "Underground" still a figurehead; still bad hair. Sorry, but it's true.

Comment

Why do they even need Weir (the character not the actress)? I was watching "Underground" today, and all she does is reiterate the situation back to Shepperd. I agree, still just a figurehead. What a waste of screen time. I miss the witty and bold Weir in "New Order".

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

I have nothing against the actress.

I'm still giving the character time. She seems a good administrator. Sometimes she's wearing some questionable wardrobe item or dealing with a situation in an off-putting way.

I don't know why the character is a lead, second in the credits. So far she's Hammondesque - important in the world of the show, but not on the show. There is a kissing scene in the generic promo for the show, so perhaps a definitive Weir-centric episode is coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by 220683
                                Why do they even need Weir (the character not the actress)? I was watching "Underground" today, and all she does is reiterate the situation back to Shepperd. I agree, still just a figurehead. What a waste of screen time. I miss the witty and bold Weir in "New Order".
                                I would guess the reason for her character is to put a non-military face on things. Even here in the Pegasus galaxy, someone,(I'm guessing Hayes), doesn't want our presence to look like a military incursion. We/humans and left wingers have manged to carry our political correctness to a whole new galaxy!

Comment

Working...
                                X